Celebrity Millennium - as good/bad as some say? First time aboard her this fall!

Kuri-RS

Ok, so this is something I posted in the wrong board, but the question still stands -

I've recently booked a 7-night Alaska cruise on board the Celebrity Millennium (August 2018), but after trawling/lurking through some of the boards here I'm getting a bit of a mixed bag, with people who both claim to love hate the line/ship - is there anyone who can perhaps shed a bit more light on this ship?

I've picked her primarily for the itinerary (our honeymoon cruise way back was Alaska) and I've sailed celebrity before - but only on the Equinox, and then ages ago on the Med and Baltic routes when she was relatively new.

Any info on what the line/ship is like in the years since is much appreciated!

(only realized after booking that she was due a full refit in time for late 2019, darn!)

We've sailed Millennium several times going back to 2000. According to the attached schedule for Edge-i-fication, she is due to undergo rehab in Feb 2019. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on any of the M-Class ships. They may have a little rust on the outside, but the insides are just fine.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Travel_Advisory_Panel_8.5x11_flyer.pdf

I would never book the Millennium just for the ship. However, I would book an M class ship for an itinerary I wanted because I like the class of ship. They are smaller and get get to ports (Venice and Adriatic itinerary as well as Alaska Inside Passage) that the bigger ships cannot do. It has Tuscan Grille and Qsine and an indoor pool, great for Alaska, as well as enough entertainment.

If you don't want Inside Passage, then why not book the Ruby Princess and get Glacier Bay? It's one of my favorites, but you won't get Seward and pre or post cruise in Alaska.

Our opinion, which has as much weight as the good/bad you refer to, is we enjoy the Millinium and M-Class and would book her for just the ship experience, And the itinerary Millinium has in Alaska is excellent.

So much is subjective, but there are a number of very positlves to the M-Class ships. We get a SR on the 9th deck forward so we can zip up to the 10th deck Spa pool; its inside, warm saltwater with lots of water movement; and has steel pipes that form ‘lounges’ on the side with lots of bubble action. Love it in the mornings or after a long day in port. Our last time on Millinium, 2 years ago, we found the ship is good ‘shipshape’ and the crew was very upbeat and supportive.

Good dining; good size of ship for Alaska. But beware, we have taken 22 cruises with Celebrity so we do talk up the Line....it meets our current cruising needs.

Den

Lol, our first Celebrity Cruise was on the Millenium in July 2008 to Alaska. That’s when I joined CC. As I read all the negative posts on CC I seriously considered canceling our cruise, but I was so happy I didn’t. As I planned for that trip I realized there were way more positive posts. The Millie is a bit older than the Celebrity S class ships, but it's been well maintained, plus the itinerary is excellent. We had an awesome trip and as a result Celebrity has become our favorite cruiseline.

I haven't sailed Millie, but I have sailed Summit and Connie [most recently in 2016] and there's a lot to love about M-class. You don't mention which type of cabin you have booked. Our Summit cruise was an Inside, and we enjoyed it. Since then we have been lured into increasingly higher levels, and our Connie cruise was in a Celebrity Suite – and that is to die for! And IMO the CS on the M-class is superior to those on S-class because of the mid-ship location and the amazing curved windows and balcony with a terrific view. Just be aware that M-class is even more laid-back compared to other cruise lines [Carnival and NCL, I'm talkin' to you] than S-class. For Alaska, that shouldn't be a problem. [bTW, if your earlier Alaska cruise didn't include Glacier Bay, I agree with tubofhockey that you should book Princess instead – although I would recommend Coral Princess as the absolute best ship for glacier viewing]

We cruised on Millie March 2018 and January 2017 in Asia. I like both M-class and S-class ships for different reasons. Millie has that old world charm. Millie is about 18 years old. Over all I think the ship is in good shape. This is how I would describe Millie. I sat down in Micheal's Club on a couch with a small table and a chair. I crossed my legs and started to set my foot on the corner of the chair. I thought oh, I might do that at home, but not here. Then I looked at the corner I was going to rest my foot on and the corner was worn. You can look at this 2 ways. 1) Oh they must replace or recover the chair. 2) Think of how many people had the same thought and did the same thing. I'm going with #2, it made me smile. It is what I call old world charm. PS I did not rest my foot on the corner.

I personally like Hubbard Glacier best. The next time we do a Alaska cruise it will be a cruise that stops at Icy Strait Point. I want to do the zipline.

Just got back from a B2B Alaska cruise on the Millennium. Unless you are a chronic nitpicker, you should have no issues with her. The crew was outstanding, the food was exceptional (be sure to try the Conundrum red wine: primo!), and the ship is in great shape. She's showing a tad of wear but you have to look for it. Don't worry about a thing and enjoy your cruise; we certainly did.

Harry

Absolutely loved Mille during an Asia cruise last year. Facilities were excellent and well taken care of. The crew was actively refreshing paint in different areas but this never interfered with enjoying areas of the ship. Captain, Cruise Director and rest of the officers were very friendly. The interior pool described in a post above was fantastic. I wish the Eclipse we will be taking in the Baltic this summer had it. We were in an Aqua cabin that was in good shape and BLU was an excellent restaurant. I would take Mille again in a heartbeat.

I’m currently onboard Millie for a total of 21 days. Ship is in fine shape and has one of the best crews I’ve ever experienced. Many take the time to learn your name and use it. The hotel director is on the dock when you board and when you leave. Lots of young people on board. A great experience.

I’m currently onboard Millie for a total of 21 days. Ship is in fine shape and has one of the best crews I’ve ever experienced. Many take the time to learn your name and use it. The hotel director is on the dock when you board and when you leave. Lots of young people on board. A great experience.

Darn, I was hoping you were still on Connie as I was going to ask you to tell me what balcony furniture was in a particular cabin (you’d have been able to see from above). Never mind, I’ll just have to be quicker next time :D. Have a great cruise ;).

Adding to the trend, we have been on the Millennium twice in the past few years, once for Alaska in July 2016 and then for Asia in March 2017. Total time on board was 21 days, number of complaints? Zero. The ship is fine, the crew is great, really great and the itineraries are beyond great. Yes, the S class ships have a bit more space, a bit more shopping etc but the Millie and her sisters are really fine too. We are planning a big family celebration for June or July of 2020 with a cruise to Alaska and if they are still running her on that route then, I will book without reservation.

Actually I’m on the Connie. Momentary brain fart.

Darn, I was hoping you were still on Connie as I was going to ask you to tell me what balcony furniture was in a particular cabin (you’d have been able to see from above). Never mind, I’ll just have to be quicker next time :D. Have a great cruise ;).

Which cabin are you interested in?

Which cabin are you interested in?

I thought you were on Connie :D. I was hoping that you may be able to see from above down on the aft cabins (I know they are half covered so you may not see it all). Cabin is:

FV 8168 aft - second one in on starboard side.

TIA ;).

While the Millennium is definitely ready for a major retrofit it was nothing that interfered with a wonderful cruise. Any shortcomings in the ship were more than made up for by the absolutely best crew of any cruise we have ever been on.

We've been on the Millennium for two Alaska back to back cruises. The itinerary can't be beat. One cruise turned from good to bad when there was engine trouble (this is a few years ago), but we went back to the same ship for the same itinerary and had a great time. We bought a restaurant package for 7 days of luxury meals. The Olympic Restaurant is worth every penny. QSine, for us, what interesting, perhaps a little silly, but fun for one meal. Icy Straight Point (Hoonah) is such a nice port. We saw whales, and I means lots of them, from the shore. Icy Straight Point is not yet a built up t-shirt and cap shopping experience. We walked to the local public library, saw an eagle's nest, ate Dungeness crabs twice.

You should have a great time.

We've been on the Millennium for two Alaska back to back cruises. The itinerary can't be beat. One cruise turned from good to bad when there was engine trouble (this is a few years ago), but we went back to the same ship for the same itinerary and had a great time. We bought a restaurant package for 7 days of luxury meals. The Olympic Restaurant is worth every penny. QSine, for us, what interesting, perhaps a little silly, but fun for one meal. Icy Straight Point (Hoonah) is such a nice port. We saw whales, and I means lots of them, from the shore. Icy Straight Point is not yet a built up t-shirt and cap shopping experience. We walked to the local public library, saw an eagle's nest, ate Dungeness crabs twice.

You should have a great time.

We also saw whales from the shore in Icy Straight Point when we visited many years ago. Our DS, 6yrs old at the time, said that we could have saved the money from the previous day’s tour in Juneau and just watched them there :').

I thought you were on Connie :D. I was hoping that you may be able to see from above down on the aft cabins (I know they are half covered so you may not see it all). Cabin is:

FV 8168 aft - second one in on starboard side.

TIA ;).

Can’t really see those balconies from deck 10. From past experience in a corner FV, they have a table, 4 chairs, and 2 loungers. Enjoy!

Can’t really see those balconies from deck 10. From past experience in a corner FV, they have a table, 4 chairs, and 2 loungers. Enjoy!

I wasn’t sure if the awning would prevent you from seeing, but thanks for taking the time to check. We’ve sailed in the FV corners previously, but this is the first one in from the corner so I wondered if they got the loungers too. I’ll have to wait and see :D.

Have a great time and thanks again :).

For us, an Alaska cruise is all about what is outside the ship, not what is inside. We love Alaska cruises.

Of course we want the inside of the ship to be clean and comfortable, with decent food and service, friendly passengers, staff and crew.

The Millennium certainly provides all that.

So it doesn't upset us if there is some rust, or a worn or peeling spot on some carpet or upholstery or railing because we would not be spending our time looking at it, beyond perhaps a brief glance.

While we enjoy good food as much as the next passenger, I guess we are really not as picky as some because we have always managed to find things to eat that we liked on every Celebrity cruise we have taken, even before the introduction of Blu or Luminae.

But they have eliminated some of the nice little flourishes that they used to provide in the past.

The Millennium currently has the best itinerary of all the Celebrity ships that do Alaska cruises.

Gimmicky cruise ship features such as a magic carpet, or a tree suspended in mid-air hold no appeal for us, and we could not care less what other passengers do or don't choose to wear.

For us, the Millennium is just the right size; not too large and not too small. We like the convenient layout of the decks and the staterooms. We appreciate that Celebrity does not bombard us with annoying announcements throughout the day, as some other cruise lines do.

We like that no smoking is allowed anywhere indoors.

We enjoy listening to live musicians instead of canned music at their shows.

But there are still some things we don't like about it. I guess my pet peeve is the way they crowd the tables so closely together in the main dining room.

Different features matter to different people.

It just depends on what you want from your cruise.

Edited by fleckle

We also saw whales from the shore in Icy Straight Point when we visited many years ago. Our DS, 6yrs old at the time, said that we could have saved the money from the previous day’s tour in Juneau and just watched them there :').

It is also not unusual even for adults who take a whale watching tour at Icy Straight Point to return and make a comment similar to your son's when they see more whales right there close to the cruise ship than they saw on their whale watching tour.

Hi,

Thanks for all the honest reviews! We are on the June 8th sailing next week in AQ cabin deck 11. We have sailed on the Connie a couple of times recently, so are familiar with this class of ship and really like it. The Connie has some rust and wear and tear as well, but didn't bother us a bit...overall very well maintained and attractive.

We are hoping they have a good band playing on board, since we enjoy having a drink and listening to good live music. On the Connie last time they had a great duo from Ireland who were fantastic and played in various venues...we never missed them! They also had a great jazz band.

Does anyone know how much house wine is on the Millienium these days? We do not have a drink package this time around, and looking online a glass of wine looked quite expensive. I know from previous cruises they usually offer cheap deals, but maybe no longer since they want people to get he package?

thanks

Marcus and Val

I wasn’t sure if the awning would prevent you from seeing, but thanks for taking the time to check. We’ve sailed in the FV corners previously, but this is the first one in from the corner so I wondered if they got the loungers too. I’ll have to wait and see :D.

Have a great time and thanks again :).

You’re welcome. I’ve seen those cabins on a cabin crawl, but my old brain doesn’t remember what was on the balcony. Enjoy!