Antarctic "sail by" cruises (not expeditions)

GeezerCouple

I would heartily recommend an expedition cruise if at all possible.

We went on the “Sea Spirit” , chosen because its an all-suite ship, but not too large.

Although larger capacity vessels do landings, only 100 pax can be ashore at any time. Passengers on larger ships may have to take turns landing.

Please be aware that it’s not all about “landings” we did a few zodiac “cruises” where we drifted in and out of icebergs, getting great shots, or were surrounded by friendly and curious humpback whales.

Let me tell you, if I could manage it, I’m sure you can do it. I was thrown from a horse rather badly in Patagonia the week before. With the help of pain killers, I was able to do it all (except the “polar plunge”)

After arriving home, CT scans revealed that I had not only broken two ribs, but crushed two vertebrae.

Most expedition operators will gift you an Antarctic parka, and loan you nifty neoprene topped waterproof boots (making wet landings a breeze) You do need to invest in good quality waterproof pants.

This photo shows the Sea Spirit in the background. It took me ages lining it up and waiting for the penguins to face the right way.

16D59404-554F-4D03-8AF4-89264FAA1FBA.thumb.jpeg.3bc5254d8b2e1ed57bb9f4a63eed151f.jpeg

We went on the “Sea Spirit” , chosen because its an all-suite ship, but not too large.

Although larger capacity vessels do landings, only 100 pax can be ashore at any time. Passengers on larger ships may have to take turns landing.

Please be aware that it’s not all about “landings” we did a few zodiac “cruises” where we drifted in and out of icebergs, getting great shots, or were surrounded by friendly and curious humpback whales.

Let me tell you, if I could manage it, I’m sure you can do it. I was thrown from a horse rather badly in Patagonia the week before. With the help of pain killers, I was able to do it all (except the “polar plunge”)

After arriving home, CT scans revealed that I had not only broken two ribs, but crushed two vertebrae.

Most expedition operators will gift you an Antarctic parka, and loan you nifty neoprene topped waterproof boots (making wet landings a breeze) You do need to invest in good quality waterproof pants.

This photo shows the Sea Spirit in the background. It took me ages lining it up and waiting for the penguins to face the right way.

That is a great shot!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

What a wonderful photograph. I love the penguin family in the foreground.

Ever since visiting Patagonia years ago I have a thing for penguins. There’s nothing like seeing them in their natural habitat.

What an absolutely glorious photo - your patience was well rewarded. Penguins are addictive. I used to find a rock and let them come to me, as they are inquisitive creatures.