Carry on luggage? Am I just being paranoid?

ashton57

After reading posts on here about lost luggage I am really beginning to get paranoid. We leave for our first cruise tomorrow and I’m considering carrying on our luggage instead of checking it in. Both of us will have one 26” spinner and a small bag. In order to make everything fit our spinners will be just under the 50lb mark. Will we look completely ridiculous carrying it on ourselves? Do others do this? Lol :)

I would not worry, I've never actually been on a carnival Cruise but my fair share of princess cruises and I've never had a problem, there's maybe a few that get set in the wrong area and you'll hear about those time and time again but you don't ever hear about the other 99% that don't have problems. Plus I believe you have to check it because they take it through "security" for x-ray making sure you don't smuggle in a suitcase full of booze or something, even if you don't have to check it it's nice to get on board with nothing in your hands and find your room cause if it's your first time you probably will spend a little time walking and trust me elevators will be PACKED on the first day of the cruise so no luggage in your hand would be a better option in my opinion. Just relax while your on vacation!

-Kyser

Others do this for sure. And yes, they look completely ridiculous sitting on the Lido deck or in the lobby surrounded by luggage. Is there a risk? Sure. But I'm sure you take much bigger risks every day. Just check them and forget about them, you're on vacation.

Just check it, and don’t worry. Make sure it is labeled with your cruise tags. I bought plastic cruise ship luggage tag holders. I bought mine from the Cruise Critic store, but my daughter bought hers on Amazon. If you do not buy them, once you print them and cut and fold them, laminate them with clear packing tape after you fill in all the info. That will make them stronger and less likely to get removed accidentally. On our last cruise when we handed our luggage to the porter outside, he took one look at my plastic luggage tags, and told my hubby “you have one smart wife! We love to see these!” Have fun on your first cruise! I know it won’t be your last!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just check it, and don’t worry. Make sure it is labeled with your cruise tags. I bought plastic cruise ship luggage tag holders. I bought mine from the Cruise Critic store, but my daughter bought hers on Amazon. If you do not buy them, once you print them and cut and fold them, laminate them with clear packing tape after you fill in all the info. That will make them stronger and less likely to get removed accidentally. On our last cruise when we handed our luggage to the porter outside, he took one look at my plastic luggage tags, and told my hubby “you have one smart wife! We love to see these!” Have fun on your first cruise! I know it won’t be your last!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been on 10 cruises, 5 on Carnival. Exactly once a bag didn't show up until late (around 10pm). But even that bag did show up. Dropping off the bags is so much easier. Keep a small bag with essentials, and possibly a change of clothes until the rest of your bags show up, and enjoy.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

In 20 plus cruises (seven on Carnival) we have yet to have any luggage lost. Odds are most definitely in your favor that things will be fine. I have no interest in being one of those people who set up camp somewhere sitting with their luggage waiting for rooms to become available. While they are doing that, I am having lunch, exploring the ship, you know, enjoying my vacation!

We have always handled our luggage ourselves on all ships and most planes.

We don't check anything BUT we also don't have 26inch bags! Those are very big ! IF you can manage yourself then you are fine taking them on board . Make sure you can lift it yourself onto the screening belt. IF you can lay them out and they fit through the scanner then you are fine. IF you cannot lift them then you'd be better off checking them (or getting smaller bags)

Even if you didn’t have to put your 26” through security (which would be impossible “ remember the gangway goes uphill. Quite a bit. You’d have to drag the luggage in it’s wheels. No way to start a relaxing cruise.

I’m not going to say I’ve never had a problem with lost luggage because Fate may be listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check your luggage. But be smart about it. Make sure your luggage tags are clearly visible and legible. I put a minimum of 2 tags on every bag, including carry-on. I also place a luggage tag INSIDE each bag (just in case...). We also place bright colored duct tape on all 6 sides of each bag (top, bottom, front, back, left, right). No matter how they stack it, you (and the crew) can clearly see which bags go together.

We've never had a problem....

We use 1 medium spinner each & a backpack each and carry on. This is our preference, as we like to go to our cabin & unpack. Once the cabin is organized, vacation begins - no having to do that at 7pm or whenever luggage arrives. We are platinum now, so cabin is always ready, but prior to that, we just kept our luggage with us. I will say that the elevators are being used by the staff to haul luggage & there are very few for passengers to use. If you can't carry your luggage up the stairs, you may wait quite a while to catch an elevator.

As far as worrying about lost luggage, I do worry somewhat, but I also worry about that happening when I fly. Yes, you hear about lost luggage & luggage falling into the water, but I think that is a very small percentage. I just make sure that anything of value like electronics & meds are in my backpack. Clothes are replaceable. That way, if I choose to check my luggage last minute, I'm good. All luggage is tagged whether I am checking it or carrying it on.

13 cruises and counting -- so far no problems. You have a better chance of losing your luggage with an airline than with a cruise ship. You hand your bags to a porter (with $2/bag), they walk it about 25ft, and then it gets loaded on to the ship.

We carry on just a carry on (21" rolling suitcase) with swimsuits, sunscreen, a couple of novels, any medication we might need, and our travel documents. My wife is Platinum, so we just drop it off at the room and then relax!

I can understand your concern but the chances your luggage gets lost is very slim to none. Check it and carry on a small bag so you can change and enjoy the pool and or hot tub. DW and I did this the last cruise and wondered why it took us so long to think and do this. Enjoy your cruise, be careful they are very addicting.

I didn’t realize that having the cabins ready at 1pm was a platinum benefit! I assumed it was all of them.

So the stewards do the platinum occupied cabins first, and then go back and do the others? I’ll bet they hate it!

I didn’t realize that having the cabins ready at 1pm was a platinum benefit! I assumed it was all of them.

So the stewards do the platinum occupied cabins first, and then go back and do the others? I’ll bet they hate it!

Cabins will almost always be ready at embark for Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF.

We carry on when we are using our 22” suitcases. Anything larger we check in.

Having cruised several times, I can personally say is it takes just one time for lost/misplaced luggage to make a BIG impact on your trip. Now the odds of it happening to you are slim and hopefully for me will never happen again but at minimum use some of the suggestions mentioned.

Good/secure tags (I had that so it's not a guarantee that your luggage will get where it is supposed to)

Cross pack. The odds of both suitcases going MIA are an even smaller margin of probability.

Carry on with some essentials: undies, extra outfit(s), swimsuit, etc. The ship shop will have a limited selection of clothing and swimwear and an even more limited selection of sizes. Ports may not be much better.

Tile/GPS type device that can help you find your luggage assuming you are able to use your tracking system and the bag isn't under the dock.

Make your suitcase noticeable/individual. Suitcase sleeve, bright straps, etc.

Have fun on your trip. The experience for me was extremely frustrating and disheartening in the moment but I made the best of it. It doesn't deter me from planning future cruises or any other type of vacation. I met some of the most amazing people who provided a few articles of clothing to help get me through and to them I will be eternally grateful and humbled by their empathy and generosity.