Chic nights on celebrity reflection

Bryngwyn

We are joining the ship on Friday for our first Celebrity cruise. Is it worth my husband packing his dinner suit? He also has a cream tux jacket and he is wondering if that would be more suitable. We enjoy formal night with P & O but don't want to looked overdressed! Advice please

We are joining the ship on Friday for our first Celebrity cruise. Is it worth my husband packing his dinner suit? He also has a cream tux jacket and he is wondering if that would be more suitable. We enjoy formal night with P & O but don't want to looked overdressed! Advice please

Your husband should take, and wear, what he is most comfortable wearing. You'll see a few tuxedos (maybe) a lot of suits and just sports coats, shirt, tie and slacks and some with no tie. You'll also see just shirts and ties and some in just a dressy polo type shirt and slacks.

I’m on these boards just about every day. There is a dress thread started every week or two. So the experience I have to qualify me to respond comes from reading dozens of threads and hundreds of posts related to the question you’ve asked.

My impression is that you’re asking not what Celebrity’s official dress suggestions for Evening Chic night in the MDR, but what is actually worn so you won’t be overdressed. I will try to relate a summary of the opinions I’ve read on the subject.

First, a dinner jacket is not required. A suit is not required. A sports jacket also is not required. Nor a tie. It seems business casual is the order of the day.

In other words, for men, slacks and a button down shirt or a collared polo. ‘Nice jeans’ are also acceptable.

In theory, shorts are not allowed in the main dining room for any dinner, let alone Evening Chic.

But I’ve read here that you will see the whole gamut in the MDR. Some will dress all the way down, (shorts and muscle t-shirts), provided the maitre’d doesn’t turn them away, and all the way up to and including tuxedos.

Bottom line, most on these boards would tell you to wear what you are most comfortable in. If you go formal, look at it like it will be the rest that won’t fit in with you. Enjoy! Happy cruising!

Harvey

We were on Celebrity Infinity a few months ago. First, look at the dress code. They lay it our pretty well. It ranges from designer jeans to as fancy as you want to me. On our cruise there were a pretty large number of folks decked out in formal wear/suits. But I would say the majority were dressed casually, meaning slacks or chinos with collared shirts or polo shirts. I would say in general everyone looked neat or whatever the opposite of "sloppy" is. For what it is worth, no shorts in the MDR at dinner. I did see one fellow wearing shorts being turned away at the door.

We enjoy formal night

Based on this alone, I would say to bring the cream tux coat! You won’t be alone but you’ll be in the minority. I think you will attract admiring glances. I love formal night too and tend to dress up more than my husband.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the new "Evening Chic", I no longer pack the tuxedo...or even the dark suit...

I now just bring black "Dockers" and a Black/white long sleeve dress shirt and black slip-on shoes...maybe, depending on the weather, time of year and available luggage space, I'll throw in a black blazer...but no tie...And I am overdressed compared to many...

Long-Sleeve Shirts Required?

I thought the dress code said men must wear long pants long-sleeve "sport" shirts in the main dining room and theater. True? I have some really nice looking (maybe a bit touristy) short-sleeve Hawaiian-Tropical collared shirts.

Thank goodness Celebrity changed the dress code. It was really nice on Norwegian to wear nice shorts and my Hawaiian shirts. It's warm and we are in the Caribbean! And less to pack!

I thought the dress code said men must wear long pants long-sleeve "sport" shirts…

No...it actually doesn’t say you MUST wear any particular style of dress.

I just wear the long sleeves on Chic night because it goes better with the “look”...

The idea was to depart a little from the normal “casual” evening attire...and that is where I usually wear my Hawaiian shirts or golf shirts. The original “Chic” idea was to wear what you might for an evening out at a trendy restaurant...

But, yes, you can wear whatever you want, really...

We usually did the 14 day cruises on the Eclipse, which tends to be pretty dressy. There were a LOT of tuxes on Chic night(the 3'rd one had the most)This is mainly due to the length of cruise. Longer cruises tend to have a more traditional crowd. Basically smart casual is the standard: Slacks & collared shirt the norm at night. Chic nights, most pax make an effort to look nice: Suits, some tuxes. Some sport coats with or without tie.

Figure on Chic night, how would you dress for a nice restaurant? I'm talking fairly high-end, not something like Applebee's or similar low end rest.

Thanks everyone for your responses, my hubby is now rethinking his packing! ( He bought a new dinner suit too). By sound of it I'll leave my tiara it home! Lol

Feel free to look nice! By all means please bring the tiara!

I thought the dress code said men must wear long pants long-sleeve "sport" shirts in the main dining room and theater. True? I have some really nice looking (maybe a bit touristy) short-sleeve Hawaiian-Tropical collared shirts.

Thank goodness Celebrity changed the dress code. It was really nice on Norwegian to wear nice shorts and my Hawaiian shirts. It's warm and we are in the Caribbean! And less to pack!

Celebrity is NOT Norwegian! Shorts may be allowed at night in the rest. on NCL/Carnival, but NOT on Celebrity. Pax can change into shorts after dinner, but will stick out. You do no one any good giving out deceptive information. The ships are well air conditioned. Pax will not be too warm dressing up.

Edited by keithm
additions

We were on Silhouette in March and will be on Reflection next year. I took a nice black suit and DW took a couple of cocktail dresses. We were comfortable and will dress the same going forward. I'd say the majority were dressed similarly, though there were a few tuxes and a few more business casual.

Sorry, I did not mean to say Celebrity changed the dress code to allow shorts and short-sleeves in the main dining room or theater. Thanks everyone for the information and happy shopping for chic styles to the original poster! I'm happy to not have to wear suits. For men who are not used to dressing up (I'm anything but chic...), I'm thinking dress it up Miami style like going to an upscale nightclub.

Wow! I just found this video with great advice for the men. I promise I won't be "that guy" in a jogging suit.

Celebrity is NOT Norwegian! Shorts may be allowed at night in the rest. on NCL/Carnival, but NOT on Celebrity. Pax can change into shorts after dinner, but will stick out. You do no one any good giving out deceptive information. The ships are well air conditioned. Pax will not be too warm dressing up.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from our Celebrity Reflection cruise in the Med and very few tuxes on chic nights although a few kilts in evidence.

Most men wore a jacket and we women had made more of an effort. Although my husband does own a tux he did not take this time and wore a smart linen jacket. There were no problems with how people dressed and I did not see anyone in shorts around the martini bar (7.00 onwards) but I am sure there would be some in the buffet.

Scotslizzy

We'll be on Reflection in just over 5 weeks too.

I'll be taking my tux' for the chic nights and probably wear a jacket on a few other nights as well. It's never occurred to me to think "am I over dressed". I dress to compliment my wife's attire and what others choose to wear is fine by me.

We dress up for restaurants where there are no dress codes so why should a cruise ship be any different?

According to my DD there will be over 1,000 Brits on our cruise so the proportion of those dressing up will likely be higher.

So take the tux' and get some serious "brownie points" from your wife!.

Edited by Esprit
Typo

We'll be on Reflection in just over 5 weeks too.

I'll be taking my tux' for the chic nights and probably wear a jacket on a few other nights as well. It's never occurred to me to think "am I over dressed". I dress to compliment my wife's attire and what others choose to wear is fine by me.

We dress up for restaurants where there are no dress codes so why should a cruise ship be any different?

According to my DD there will be over 1,000 Brits on our cruise so the proportion of those dressing up will likely be higher.

So take the tux' and get some serious "brownie points" from your wife!.

Indeed. I dress for me and my darling hubby’s eyes only . We like to dress up but this med cruise out of Southampton in Sep hubby will be wearing a lovely blue/ grey suite, white shirt and nice tie for formal chic nights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums