NCL or Celebrity?

Maya1234

I am posting this on the Celebrity Board also because I know each board tends to attract its own boosters. I am trying to decide between an NCL (Epic Haven 2 bedroom family) and the Celebrity Edge (Sky Suite) for 2019.

I know the Edge is not even in operation yet, but I'm looking for any general thoughts/pros and cons of NCL vs Celebrity.

Price is NOT a factor for us in choosing the cruise. This is a Western Med itinerary and the NCL and Celebrity are close enough that we don't think that's much of a factor either.

I've been on both.

Celebrity is 5* rated, with gourmet food; and the Edge will be absolutely amazing! You will get all 4 perks-- unlimited alcohol package, $300 OBC, etc

Norwegian is 4* rated. It's pretty good, but Celebrity wins hands down.

I think you can already see what kind of answers you will get as you know. We have sailed both and do not find the food on Celebrity much different than the food on NCL> I know many swear by Celebrity, we have had 2 good experiences and one not good at all. I could say the same about NCL, we generally love NCL but there is always room for improvement. Celebrity does have little touches that NCL does not. But the entertainment on NCL is better and overall the passengers are more fun. Celebrity seems to attract passengers that can be a bit on the snobbish side. This is just my opinion.

If money is not a factor, why limit yourself to teh mass market lines. Look at Seaborne, Regent, Silversea and Sea Dream before you decide.

This. Look at Oceania too, and MSC Yacht club. If money was no object, I'd be looking a lot higher than celebrity or NCL and I really love NCL.

This. Look at Oceania too, and MSC Yacht club. If money was no object, I'd be looking a lot higher than celebrity or NCL and I really love NCL.

I’m a fan of Oceania, but given OP is looking at a family suite, it appears kids are involved. Generally, the mass market cruise lines are better suited for families....particularly if the children are younger.

That said, if the kids are older, interested in ports of call over ship entertainment and better food, it might be a fit.

NCL!

We did our first NCL and our first Celebrity cruise within the last two years.

Celebrity did not really impress us that much. We had no major complaints and really enjoyed our vacation and would do Celebrity again some time, but there were some minor issues. A lot of dirty corners in the buffet (If they would have given me a vacuum cleaner I would have done the job..after two weeks still the same old crumbles and welk brown pieces of salad in the same corners), spotty old plates in MDR, worn furniture in the cabin and almost every evening the dishes came with arugula. It was like they had their own arugula greenhouse, not very creative and upscale for a dining room.

The demographic was different on Celebrity, that is something I really enjoyed, beacuse it was very calm and quiet all day.

Celebrity Edge may be totally diffferent, but we still suffer from the arugula ;p

If money is not a factor, why limit yourself to teh mass market lines. Look at Seaborne, Regent, Silversea and Sea Dream before you decide.

I think I looked at all of those but Sea Dream (I hadn’t heard of it) but we have very strict parameters. We want to include both Barcelona and Rome. It needs to be over the week of the Fourth of July (only week DH can get away). No more than 8 days. None of the other lines met those requirements.

As a frequent cruiser of both Celebrity and NCL, I'll share my experience and observations.

Celebrity is definitely a different demographic (with a few exceptions). It's an older crowd, retirees, higher income bracket generally speaking, and not so much the partying type. Drinkers YES, but wild and noisy, no. Refined elegance, entertainment not so wonderful, great cuisine. Excellent perks, we often get the beverage package(which includes bottled water and fancy, high end coffees and teas, fresh squeezed juice etc). Also get pre-paid gratuities, OBC, and sometimes free internet. Celebrity is now heavily marketing to a younger crowd, so I am seeing more diversity there. It's a great cruise line for a genteel, relaxing vacation. I normally get a hump balcony cabin, and the occasional suite.

Now to compare apples to oranges. NCL is very family oriented. Caters to children with all their bells and whistles to entertain them. Also tons of party opportunities for the young crowd. Can be very noisy. People have a blast, because there is always something fun going on. Far more casual than Celebrity, but you see folks dressed up for dinner too. Many love the freestyle dining and far more choices to dine than Celebrity. Food is actually excellent, with anything from great buffet choices, fish and chips to very gourmet elegance. I would say the median age is about 50. Evening shows are excellent, as well as great lounge music. Beverage package is now often included, by you have to pay the tip and tax on it. Also, OBC or speciality dining packages included. Promotions are offered often during the year. Speaking of specialty dining, it's half the price of Celebrity per person.

We sailed Celebrity in March of this year to the southern Caribbean, 14 nights. This November we are sailing on NCL's Escape for 14 nights. We are booked in the Haven and from what I hear, it's the best suite experience at sea. I will be able to compare suite experiences with Celebrity and will write about it when I do my review.

If it sounds like I prefer NCL, that is incorrect. I love both equally for different reasons. We are not party-types, love the sun and beaches and reading our books. That can be had on either line, and that is why we chose to experience the Haven this time on NCL--the ship within a ship concept where tranquility and elegance and SERVICE abide.

Speaking of service, both lines excel in that area. And the prices are about the same.

For me, there is no such thing as a bad day at sea.

It looks like you have researched your options well, given your time restraints.

In this case, it may be a draw....the winner might be how late you could get your TA flights after your husbands work schedule and how you envision handling Rome and Barcelona for land/excursions.

Our favorite is Celebrity, but we jumped ship this time. We have tried a lot of cruise lines & rooms. We were booked on the Edge next year, but we switched to NCL because of something different, the Haven. It's our ship within the ship.