Spring Break 2018 - is booking last minute realistic for a good deal?

rubyreader

Oops! I meant 2019. I can't figure out how to change the title.

A little background. I just returned from my first cruise to Alaska on Holland America's Westerdam. It was absolutely fantastic, and I found that I really liked cruising. My family has made many trips to the Caribbean and Mexico, but my husband just won't cruise, so I went to Alaska with my Dad, and while on the ship, I booked a Caribbean cruise with my teenage daughter for late March 2018. I'm happy with the price that I booked for a balcony cabin, but I was just looking at other options, and there are actually 22 7-10 day cruises from Florida that would work for us during the dates we need.

A few other things to note. I'll have flexible airfare booked with Southwest, so I'm not worried about flights. We are very thankful, happy, easy going travelers. I would like a balcony, or a certain itinerary, but we have a big family trip planned next summer, so I'm trying to keep spring break on the cheap. For the right price, I could do an inside cabin for 2, or a different set of ports.

I really liked the Holland America vibe, and my daughter doesn't need water slides... but we are open to any cruise line. So, how low might we be able to go if we wait? Our dates are not right before or after Easter next year, so that is probably to our advantage. Right now I think our price is about $2,000 total for a nice balcony room and prepaid gratuities with a decent room credit, so we already have a good deal. Is saving much more than that even realistic?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by rubyreader

Winter 2018 had some good bargains but that can be attributed to concern about ports impacted by hurricanes in the fall of 2017. Hopefully the upcoming hurricane season will be quiet giving all ports time to fully recover. Working in your favor may be that Easter (and the attendant school vacation weeks) is late in 2019 (April 29th) but March is the month that most universities have a week long break. Since it is a week long, if you chose a 10 day cruise that should rule out spring breakers as should cruising on HAL. Why not reserve now and watch the prices? If they decline, ask the cruise line or your travel agent to re-fare the cruise (this is possible on Princess not sure about the other lines, but just ask on their boards)?

Winter 2018 had some good bargains but that can be attributed to concern about ports impacted by hurricanes in the fall of 2017. Hopefully the upcoming hurricane season will be quiet giving all ports time to fully recover. Working in your favor may be that Easter (and the attendant school vacation weeks) is late in 2019 (April 29th) but March is the month that most universities have a week long break. Since it is a week long, if you chose a 10 day cruise that should rule out spring breakers as should cruising on HAL. Why not reserve now and watch the prices? If they decline, ask the cruise line or your travel agent to re-fare the cruise (this is possible on Princess not sure about the other lines, but just ask on their boards)?

I did reserve on Holland America; I think part of what is making me second-guess my choice is that my 15 year old daughter is concerned that it may be a little "too" quiet for her! Our break in 2019 is nice and long, a full week and a half, and is well after most college breaks (we begin March 27) but before Easter next year, so I think I almost have too many choices that would work!

I totally agree that I would happily pay more next year as a result of a quiet hurricane season for everyone!

If you have a balcony cabin including gratuities and on board credit for approximately $1000 per person you already have a good deal. You might save $50 - $100 pp but that time of year prices tend to go up, not down.

If you have a balcony cabin including gratuities and on board credit for approximately $1000 per person you already have a good deal. You might save $50 - $100 pp but that time of year prices tend to go up, not down.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but it's helpful to get another opinion. Because this is my first time looking at spring break, I just wasn't sure.

I did reserve on Holland America; I think part of what is making me second-guess my choice is that my 15 year old daughter is concerned that it may be a little "too" quiet for her! Our break in 2019 is nice and long, a full week and a half, and is well after most college breaks (we begin March 27) but before Easter next year, so I think I almost have too many choices that would work!

I totally agree that I would happily pay more next year as a result of a quiet hurricane season for everyone!

Holland America does tend to cater to an older clientele so I understand your daughter's concerns. Happy that you enjoyed your cruise. Sometimes people stick with one line, others tend to try different lines.

Would suggest looking at Royal Caribbean. A lot of choices and ships to choose from, and probably more for your daughter. Royal Caribbean ships, especially the Oasis, Freedom and Voyageur class of ships have a lot to offer to families of all ages. Shows include Broadway productions, ice shows, and on the mega Oasis class an aqua theater with outdoor water/diving shows. They have a multitude of activities for all ages. Price-wise I think you would find them very comparable to what you currently have.

Holland America does tend to cater to an older clientele so I understand your daughter's concerns. Happy that you enjoyed your cruise. Sometimes people stick with one line, others tend to try different lines.

Would suggest looking at Royal Caribbean. A lot of choices and ships to choose from, and probably more for your daughter. Royal Caribbean ships, especially the Oasis, Freedom and Voyageur class of ships have a lot to offer to families of all ages. Shows include Broadway productions, ice shows, and on the mega Oasis class an aqua theater with outdoor water/diving shows. They have a multitude of activities for all ages. Price-wise I think you would find them very comparable to what you currently have.

Thanks for your thoughts! It's so hard, because we are a pretty reserved bunch, and I'm trying to find a balance between what I like (the person paying!) and still giving her a good time. I truly believe that she would like a ship with a few kids better than TONS of kids. At spring break this year, we were touring a museum, and one of my kids said, "we seem to do things that lots of old people do". But they were having fun!

It really is anyone's guess. Purely based on supply and demand. Thought, when the economy is good demand is higher.

We have scored last minute Caribbean cruises at Christmastime (2) and one surprisingly enough during spring break in March (three days prior to sailing). All three were balcony cabins. Two ten day, and a seven day. We were as surprised as anyone to snag the Chistmas cruises. We were surprised at he price drop and surprised that we could still get verandah cabins. We did not require air for two of these so that was not an issue.

But....if you are doing this better have a backup plan in case plan A goes pear shaped. If you are happy with your booking and with the price why bother for a relatively small amount of money. We often decide at the last moment so this is more typical for us. We did not do this when I was working and we had time commitments.