Excursion suggestions for Western Carribbean

jamie15401

Hello fellow cruisers,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess to Western Caribbean. I am looking at excursions and considering the Twister boat to Passion Island in Cozumel and Beach Break Package for 2 in Roatan. Curious as to how much fun was the Twister boat and how would you rate both beaches? We are still undecided about Belize City and Grand Caymen. We love beaches but I dont see any beach excursions in Belize. Any suggestions for Belize City? Thank you for your ideas!!

Hello fellow cruisers,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess to Western Caribbean. I am looking at excursions and considering the Twister boat to Passion Island in Cozumel and Beach Break Package for 2 in Roatan. Curious as to how much fun was the Twister boat and how would you rate both beaches? We are still undecided about Belize City and Grand Caymen. We love beaches but I dont see any beach excursions in Belize. Any suggestions for Belize City? Thank you for your ideas!!

Just so you know in Roatan there is a nice Princess private beach within walking distance of the dock. Anyone can just go there, no charge. There is a charge for food and drink at the beach bar. The beach break you are speaking about includes the chairlift to the beach. Not necessary if you can walk, it's only a few hundred yards over a bridge. It also includes a clamshell. There are free lounge chairs and shade under palms. Just get there early.

The chair lift is a great bargain in Roatan. The ship based excursion price is only $9.95 per person and it gives you a unique view of the area. You can ride back and forth all day long if you wish with no additional charges. The beach is nice, but not a great deal of fish to spot because of the sandy nature of the area and lack of reefs though.

Grand Cayman--There are lots of private excursions that include Stingray City with lots of reputable companies. We did a half day snorkel thru Captain Marvin's on one trip. We also did their island tour with turtle farm (not as good recently as 10 years ago!) You can also do a boat trip to Stingray City, a driven vehicle to get there, etc. I loved the snorkel + Stingray City. Another benefit--we could choose to be returned to the pick up area near the tender port or dropped off at a beach of our choice (in which case, we are responsible for our transportation back to the ship). There are plenty of taxis, etc.

Beaches in Grand Cayman are all free, but you can't trespass on private land to get to the beach. There are little brown signs that indicate public access. You can get to the big name beaches by public bus or taxi. Our favorite is Cemetery Beach, which is at the far end of 7 Mile. While the beach is free, there are plenty of vendors renting chairs, umbrellas, selling food, and calling a taxi for you if there isn't one waiting.

It is really hard to recommend excursions, not knowing your activity level or interests.

Cozumel--Chankanaab park has lots to do. You pay for the parts you choose to do. Paradise Beach for a beach day. Taxis are rate regulated. Fare is per cab, not per person, and fares are posted on a sign right at the dock (in USD)

If you want a truly nice beach in Roatan, take a taxi to West Bay Beach....it is a wonderful, natural white sand beach with several resorts that can provide food, facilities and beach chairs.

The 'private' beach at Mahogany Bay was bulldozer built by Carnival Corp. to keep you and your money close by.

I agree with everyone that says Stingray City! Especially if you have never done it before. Our favorite trip for that was a private one where we did Stingray City, then we snorkeled at second location and after that went to Rum Point for lunch and to relax before heading back to the ship. We always do the Discover Scuba with Cozumel Diving and Parasail in Cozumel. It's a great diving experience without having to be certified. Just perfect for our tropical vacation. In Belize, we did not enjoy the city tour, or zoo that we took, however the snorkeling, swimming with the sharks and stop at Caye Caulker was fantastic. Mostly Caye Caulker, the water is the roughest we have ever snorkeled in, but the island was fantastic. In Roatan, I cannot recommend Roatan Ocean Adventures enough. They were by far the best tour company we have ever experienced. They have a website, and we were able to combine parts of one tour with parts of another for our perfect day. Basically it was just us with a driver for the day.

You mention you are beach people but if you are looking for something different in Grand Cayman you can go to Eden Rock Dive Center.

When you exit the gates from the port area, if you turn right and walk about 5 min down the road you will find Eden Rock. For about $14US you get snorkeling gear package and you are able to stay as long as you want. There are tons of fish and coral in this area.

My husband and I spent 3.5 hours here and watched about 4 snorkeling tours arrive and only get to spend about 30 min at a time. It was some of the best snorkeling I have ever done.

Kim

It's not a ship excursion, but from Belize a trip to Goff's Caye is like a trip to paradise (except that 300 other people will be there).

It is a tiny little island with a dozen or so palm trees and crystal clear blue waters and sandy beaches. But, it you snorkel round the far side of the island from the dock, there is a reef with lots of fish. Aside from the common fish, we saw lionfish, conches, and even a lobster. The island is smaller than a football field. They set up a station for food and the prices are quite reasonable for a good lunch.

When you get off the tender, go to the far left side where people exit the pier area. In that final building are all kinds of tour vendors. Just ask for one that has a tour to Goff's Caye. We paid $40 per person and that included a guide for snorkeling and your snorkel gear.

Don

We just did the Passion Island excursion. The twister boat was just a fast boat ride to the island. You can sit on the upper deck after the boat gets moving. The island itself was pleasant, lots of shade, lots of tables and chairs and beach loungers. The water was a lovely color and very clear. There were some hammocks in the water. The food was ok and drinks were included. It was not crowded. It was a pleasant beach day.

We have been to Passion Island 5 times and love it! Just take the regular boat not the twister You dont want a fast wild bumpy ride Especially coming back if you drink all the free alchohol. This beach will always be my happy place I go to. When I get root canal. When there is a hurricane in Florida. Anytime I feel down I just remember this beautiful beach. They filmed the Coors beer commercials here. Last time we went they remembered us and said hello good to see you again!

Hello fellow cruisers,

I really want to do the Twister boat but they have a 240 lb weight limit. My husband is 6' 7" so needless to say, he's over that. Bummer!

I second taking a taxi or private driver/tour in Roatan to West Bay. Several years ago, the Grand Roatan allowed us to use their tables to sit at for no extra charge, as long as we bought food/drink. It's on the end of the beach but you can go into the water anywhere. Great snorkeling!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app