Keto and RC

Hello!

I have been keto for over a year and done one cruise on Carnival during that time. I didn't have a hard time maintaining my way of eating last cruise, will the dining room on Serenade be accommodating? Should I email before we go or head to the dining room when we embark and speak to someone there? Thanks for any insight you can offer =)

• Like 1

RC is very accommodating to special diets. I'd suggest you get your TA to help with the dining arrangements, or email the special needs department (special_needs@rccl.com). Whatever you do, print a copy of the confirmation that RC got your request and bring it with you. The when you board is go to the MDR and check with the maitre'd to make sure your requirements are on your record.

IMO based on the reports from others here on CC, the chefs enjoy getting to do something out of the ordinary and are happy to look after you and get feedback on what you liked.

Edited by TBone2K

I find it's pretty easy..stick to proteins and acceptable vegetables. They have real butter available, too. I would always have sauces on the side in case they do contain sugar or starch. But there's plenty of options in the dining rooms and the buffet. The quick-serve grab-and-go stuff not so much.

• Like 2

Been lazy keto for 6 months or so now been on one cruise so far , food is easy , chops is a great option , an buffet lots of variety, drinks kinda screwed me a bit , put on 7 pounds over the week , lost it all again after another week , don’t beat yourself up have a great time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello!

I have been keto for over a year and done one cruise on Carnival during that time. I didn't have a hard time maintaining my way of eating last cruise, will the dining room on Serenade be accommodating? Should I email before we go or head to the dining room when we embark and speak to someone there? Thanks for any insight you can offer =)

The only people you need to speak to are your servers. First, tell them to not bring the bread basket. Second, for every starch, replace with other veggies- like broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus. Do that once or twice, and it will be that way for the rest of the cruise. And it's pretty easy to say no to the desert menu. Or just ask for a cheese plate.

• Like 1

RC is very accommodating to special diets. I'd suggest you get your TA to help with the dining arrangements, or email the special needs department (special_needs@rccl.com). Whatever you do, print a copy of the confirmation that RC got your request and bring it with you. The when you board is go to the MDR and check with the maitre'd to make sure your requirements are on your record.

IMO based on the reports from others here on CC, the chefs enjoy getting to do something out of the ordinary and are happy to look after you and get feedback on what you liked.

Also, make sure that you talk to your head waiter. My wife is diabetic and every nite, the head waiter brought the next night's menu and went over the selections. Removal of salt from entrees was excellent. She doubled up on vegetables & salads. One night she took a chance on "French Onion Soup" and don't know what they did , but she said it was very tasty.

Edited by nelblu
add'l info

Was just on a cruise in May. It was pretty easy to eat keto as most of the food in the MDR is high fat anyway.

I didn't talk to anyone other than the waiters. Just looked at the menu and skipped the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and sweets. Order the veggies. Order the cheese plate (skip the crackers) for desert. The buffets are even easier in that there are a wide variety of meats and other fatty stuff to fill up on.

I did drink a little wine and had scotch or bourbon on the rocks every night which is allowed on keto.

I stuck to keto pretty tight, ate well and didn't gain an ounce.

For those that don't know, keto is low carb, high fat, medium protein.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. It looks like it will be pretty easy to stay focused. I am down 100lbs and almost to maintenance now and feel FANTASTIC! I don't want to sabotage myself =)

• Like 4

Just to be clear, I am talking about Keto the disease, not the fad diet. A co-worker has this and I can't describe it exactly, but it sounded to me like Celiac disease plus other sensitivities. Makes it very hard for her to find something she can eat when the company orders in lunch.

So just to back up the bus a bit... If you have a legitimate food sensitivity or any other sort of dietary issue, best recommended to notify the special needs department and do the things I described.

If you are just on a non-medical diet, you can do that as well, but you are just as well off to go with what Alfaeric said and talk to your waiter about modifying the regular menu items to meet your needs. IMO this frees up time for the kitchen staff to look after the medical dietary requirements that have come in.

Just to be clear, I am talking about Keto the disease, not the fad diet. A co-worker has this and I can't describe it exactly, but it sounded to me like Celiac disease plus other sensitivities. Makes it very hard for her to find something she can eat when the company orders in lunch.

So just to back up the bus a bit... If you have a legitimate food sensitivity or any other sort of dietary issue, best recommended to notify the special needs department and do the things I described.

If you are just on a non-medical diet, you can do that as well, but you are just as well off to go with what Alfaeric said and talk to your waiter about modifying the regular menu items to meet your needs. IMO this frees up time for the kitchen staff to look after the medical dietary requirements that have come in.

Mine is for weight loss mostly and a few health issues. I am always clear to state it is a preference NOT an allergy. This way, the whole prep area doesn't need to be sanitized before my food can be prepared. I will talk to my waiters and make the best choices available.

My husband is doing that now. We did not involve any off the staff really beyond requesting minor modifications to the existing menus- for example no potato extra broccoli and the such. Since you have been at it for a while you will easily be able to find acceptable offerings. Now, try that with a Celiac, a honey sensitivity and severe peanut allergy in your party. We waitstaff, head waiter and kitchen involved in that trip!

Been lazy keto for 6 months or so now been on one cruise so far , food is easy , chops is a great option , an buffet lots of variety, drinks kinda screwed me a bit , put on 7 pounds over the week , lost it all again after another week , don’t beat yourself up have a great time

Good advise. I am on it as well and plan to remain on it "moderately" during my trip in November. I figure what I put on, will come back off pretty quickly.

-germ

My sister and I are both Keto. She was just on a cruise and the waiter noticed she wasn't eating dessert. She explained about this way of eating and she ended up keto friendly desserts the rest of the cruise. I'll be going in Sept and will let them know I'm on keto.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Down 45 pounds in 5 months , reversed my diabetes diagnosis, and have dropped meds for that and high cholesterol, turned 50 in March and have not felt this good since I was probably 30 , tons of energy, sleeping better ... the list goes on and on

• Like 4

Down 45 pounds in 5 months , reversed my diabetes diagnosis, and have dropped meds for that and high cholesterol, turned 50 in March and have not felt this good since I was probably 30 , tons of energy, sleeping better ... the list goes on and on

I lost 20 lbs in a month and a half!

• Like 1

When I was on the allure, the buffet was definitly my friend. Especially the full on charcuterie section! I had no problems substuting in any of the restaurants. I also limited my drinking to vodka/waters, sauv blancs with the odd beer and margarita.

Came off the ship 2 pounds lighter!

Another low/no carb diet.

Sorry but it’s really not a diet. It’s a lifestyle.;)

When I lose 18lbs in three weeks while I can eat meats, veg, bacon, eggs, cheese, full fat dressings and I’m still able to drink.

Well, this is lifestyle I will love to live by.

It definitely beats juicing!! Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1