Apologizing in advance, but I don't understand the specialty dining.

I read the sticky post, but some of it applies to cruisers who have special perks for sailing previously. I am new to NCL, and Free Style Cruising. We have the Specialty Dining package of 3 meals, that came free when we booked. I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting for free. Cagney's I've booked. Will I pay extra there? It says Ala Carte? Also the French restaurant says the same. If I use dining credit there, then what am I charged for? The Moderna restaurant says 0.00 so I'm assuming no extra charges there? I apologize in advance. I'm just not quite understanding.

Christy

At the Ala Carte restaurants, the policy is you get 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert. Now que the folks who will arrive to tell you you get as many apps and desserts as you want. The reality is they will tell you that, but most folks aren't charged for a second app or dessert, but it could happen.

Basically, you are covered.

Just looking at the restaurants you have booked, you should pay no extra in any of them, unless you order an additional entree.

The staff may suggest to you that there is a limit on the number of apps, deserts or sides that are covered. However, they don't seem to actually charge if you do order more. For most people this isn't an issue anyway, as one app and dessert seems to be fine for most people (based on comments here).

Basically, a la carte pricing doesn't apply when you have the dining plan.

I read the sticky post, but some of it applies to cruisers who have special perks for sailing previously. I am new to NCL, and Free Style Cruising. We have the Specialty Dining package of 3 meals, that came free when we booked. I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting for free. Cagney's I've booked. Will I pay extra there? It says Ala Carte? Also the French restaurant says the same. If I use dining credit there, then what am I charged for? The Moderna restaurant says 0.00 so I'm assuming no extra charges there? I apologize in advance. I'm just not quite understanding.

Christy,

You are good to go. Your dining package will cover all food costs st the restaurant. You can order multiple appetizers, one entree, multiple sides (Cagney’s only), and multiple desserts. Bar drinks are extra (unless you also have the beverage package).

You picked the Best restaurants.

Cagney’s is a great steak house. Geat apps, lovely steaks, and sides.

Le Bistro has wonderful French food.

And Moderno has a great salad bar and all-you-can-eat meats carved tavleside.

Enjoy!

I agree with BirdTravels comments but will add - go HUNGRY to Moderno. If you like meat, he salad bar is amazing but don't eat a lot of it, the staff keep coming with skewers of beef, chicken, pork, lamb - you take as much or as little as you want.

Anyone wondering about dining plan, or paying alacarte - we went to Cagney's had 1 app, 1 entree, 1 side. 1 dessert each - charge would have been $89 for 2

And to complete the picture, let's say after enjoying all three of those restaurants you decided you wanted to go back to Cagneys again becuase it was just oh-so-good. Becuase you used your 3 SDP choices already, you would then pay the ala-carte prices that you will see on the menu. That's what the ala-carte means.

Specialty Dining Package:

Sail Length# Of Dining

Package MealsRetail Value20% Gratuities3-9 Nights3$69 per person$13.80 per package10+ Nights4$84 per person$16.80 per package

Package prices are subject to change.

Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

Packages are based on a per meal basis.

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Dining package is applicable to guest ages 2 and older.

Any Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues, Food Republic, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.),

Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15 USD), For the Record ($15 USD),

Ocean Blue ($15 USD), Bayamo ($15 USD), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7 USD), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7 USD), and Raw Bar ($7 USD).

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

No extra charges for those 3...order an app/main/desert in the ala carte restaurants...it will be as simple as it can be. Enjoy.

As I recall you also get two sides, but it might be only one side.

I was looking to prebook restaurants, and in spite of having the SDP, it looks like the site wants to charge me for the meals. How will that work?

That would suggest that there is some issue with your reservation.

If you have the SDP then you shouldn’t be charged when booking, at least for the number of meals that are covered by the SDP.

I would check that the SDP has been correctly applied to your reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with the UDP is that you can order extra appetizers and deserts; no problem. But, and I am just speculating here, if you order extra entrees you will be billed. Just sayin'.

We don’t need to speculate about the extra entree charge. It is specifically stated in the details that they are chargeable.

Keith Jenner,

I also tried to book with my Latitudes free dinners and they want to charge me too. So, My question is, is the meal actually charged to the credit card now, or is it just held with the credit card until you go to dinner (and then I would present the coupons??). Thanks.

Keith Jenner,

I also tried to book with my Latitudes free dinners and they want to charge me too. So, My question is, is the meal actually charged to the credit card now, or is it just held with the credit card until you go to dinner (and then I would present the coupons??). Thanks.

I assume that you are booking Moderno.

The system doesn’t recognise the latitudes meal, so does charge you when booking (unless you have SDP credits). In that case then your credit card will actually be charged.

I’ve never been in this situation, so can’t talk from experience, but my understanding is that you can get that refunded back as OBC when on the ship. This isn’t ideal, especially if you have OBC to spend anyway. In this case I would probably just wait until boarding and then book as soon as possible. Moderno usually has fairly good availability for a while.

You cannot book Specialty Meals before you board as Latitude Dinners. If you want to use the Latitude coupons for the dinners and want to book BEFORE you board you will have to pay for them and then tell the greeters at the door that you have and want to use the voucher when you go to the restaurant. Then what you have paid will appear as OBC.

My experience with the UDP is that you can order extra appetizers and deserts; no problem. But, and I am just speculating here, if you order extra entrees you will be billed. Just sayin'.

I'm not sure when you last cruised but in March of this year on the Getaway you were charged for extra apps and deserts.

I'm not sure when you last cruised but in March of this year on the Getaway you were charged for extra apps and deserts.

In June of this year on the Bliss in La Cucina and Cagneys we were not charged.

I assume that you are booking Moderno.

The system doesn’t recognise the latitudes meal, so does charge you when booking (unless you have SDP credits). In that case then your credit card will actually be charged.

I’ve never been in this situation, so can’t talk from experience, but my understanding is that you can get that refunded back as OBC when on the ship. This isn’t ideal, especially if you have OBC to spend anyway. In this case I would probably just wait until boarding and then book as soon as possible. Moderno usually has fairly good availability for a while.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

I was looking to prebook restaurants, and in spite of having the SDP, it looks like the site wants to charge me for the meals. How will that work?

Pre booking, you will need to call the number listed for booking reservations. If you try to book on line, yes, in order to reserve they will want to charge you. Getting it cleared up can be a pain. We usually just wait until we board the ship to book our dinner reservations. You have more availability on times usually. We do this as soon as we board.

You can make as many reservations as you want, pre-boarding. If you have SDP & Platinum dinners, book the 2 cover charge restaurants (Moderno & Teppanyaki) first. Your SDP will be applied to them & you won't be charged. You are never charged for making reservations at the ala carte restaurants.

We just did that on the Bliss TA. We booked all 6 meals pre-sailing and were not charged anything. When we got to the restaurant, we just told them whether it was SDP or Platinum voucher.

Christy

absolutely no reason the apologize. The best way to learn is by asking questions.