Formal Night, I really want to know

I think you have a really healthy, decent attitude about it. We bought, packed and wore formal gowns for many years and this will be the first time after about 19 RC cruises that the suits and formal wear are staying home. Dress shirts and slacks for the guys and a dress or slacks for the women will be how we show up on formal night. We were on a Celebrity cruise and a RC cruise last year and able to dress more casually and we LOVED it, so we decided to do the same this time on our RC cruise. We've had so many formal photos taken that we didn't do that for the last few years that we brought the formal attire. We've never had a problem with how anyone else dresses...formal or casual. If it adds to the excitement of a cruise for you, that's the way to go. I do have a problem with people that say that unless you are dressed in formal wear, you look like you belong at McDonalds or that you should have to go to the Windjammer. I'm happy everyone now has a choice with the dress code being relaxed to "suggested."

And what happened? People whinged and moaned that they didn't want to dress up, and they came dressed casually. The restaurant host would hand the gentleman a jacket off a rack, and the guest would carry it to his seat and put it on the back of his chair, and sit there in this polo shirt/t-shirt/Hawaiian shirt.

:(

You seem to be of the opinion I was hoping to be educated by. “Sitting there in a polo shirt/T-shirt/Hawaiian shirt seems to imply you are upset by that type of dress”. Why?

You click on the "quote" button and then write under the quote.

I am not saying whether people should dress up or not.

Another poster said, "Why not accommodate both by having one dining room formal and one dining room not formal?"

I recounted what happened when they tried that.

People are just rude.

If you want to dress up, dress up. If you don't want to dress up, don't dress up.

But if you don't want to dress up, don't go to the only place where dressing up is required!

So please educate me. Why does formal night upset or excite you? And why does what someone else wears put a damper your evening?

Hi LilTurano :)

After more than 3 decades of cruising, my wife & I continue to enjoy and dress/address formal evenings as if we are going to a wedding or a night out on the town, so to speak; with dinner, dancing, a show, comedy club and so on..

There will always be a few thousand passengers all doing their own thing. Some will dress formal, some will dress casual, some will skip it. The ONLY aspect that really matters is that you & your family enjoy the love you share, and the precious time you have with one another.

I rarely take notice what attire others are wearing. I'm far too focused on my holiday and my wife. Your vacation is what you make of it, and NEVER about what others are making of theirs.

Have a wonderful voyage!

:)

DH and I enjoy formal nights. He wears a dark suit and tie and I wear a dress or long skirt and sparkly top. On non formal nights he wears dress pants and either dress shirt or golf shirt, and I wear a nice dress.

When people complain about what others are wearing, I think it is the people who are going outside the suggested dress for the evening that are drawing their ire. If a man wants to wear long pants and a button down shirt on formal night, I have zero issues with it. However, when I see guys coming in the main dining room any night wearing gym shorts and a ratty tee, then yeah, I don't like it. Gym shorts in the dining room are just inappropriate. Be a big boy and put long pants on! If your outfit is what you would wear to the Home Depot on a Saturday, during the middle of a home renovation project, then NO, it is not what you should wear to the dining room at dinner!

it's your vacation :) wear what you want! we dressed formal the 2nd night only and after dinner we changed back to casual. For my next cruise no formal night for us

my advice, do what you want to do...you deserve it !!!

I love dressing up. I wear formal dresses and husband wears a tux. Last cruise was In Europe. A higher percentage of people in European cruises dress formally. Our next cruise is a 4 nighter to Bahamas it is exactly the opposite. Last time on this cruise nobody wore a tux. This time a will wear a short cocktail frock and no tux for hubby. Easier to pack flying from UK

I’ve been on one other cruise and it was a quick 3 nighter and I don’t believe there was a true formal night, although I did wear dresses to dinner.

I’m curious about the formal night opinions I see on CC. I’m 43 and very much looking forward to wearing a very formal, sparkly dress on the second formal night. I’m even making my kids wear ties and formal dresses. We have totally bought in and are excited. Every other night we have dresses for the girls and collared shirts for the boys/men with long pants.

Here’s my curiosity point - I see some people say things like “We are so sad that the ACTUAL formal night is going away” or “No one participates in Formal Night anymore and it’s just such a shame”. And then others say they won’t dress up for one minute, it’s their vacation and they’ll do as they please.

My opinion as someone that is very excited to dress up with her family is that, I honestly don’t care at all what the table next to me is wearing. I’ll be looking around at my family and enjoying our beautiful evening on a vacation we paid thousands of dollars to experience. Knowing I don’t have to say no to dessert because of worrying about the bill. Knowing that the kids can race off after dinner to go watch a movie outside with the ocean as the backdrop. Why in the world do I want to spend one minute worried about the clothing of the person next to me?

Reading through CC I’ve come to realize there are some very strong opinions expressed, rude and cutting responses, and some very nice, helpful, and excited responses as well. I’ve learned so very much and can’t wait to board our SHIP (as I learned to call it from these boards) on Friday.

So please educate me. Why does formal night upset or excite you? And why does what someone else wears put a damper your evening?

It no longer excites me because "been there, done that" and many years ago Formal Night was truly an event. The food, the service, even entertainment in the dining rooms, during the day there would be ice carving at the pool for the gala midnight buffets in the MDR after formal night. There really wasn't alternative dining; maybe a scaled back buffet, or room service. that's it. White glove service, sorbet between courses, and no "3 course" menu either. It actually felt different and special.

Now there are just more photographers, the food is nothing special, service in the MDR has become rushed and chaotic, no more midnight buffets or other special parties related to the theme of the evening, and with so many dining venues around, participation is definitely "down". I'm jut not into it anymore.

But that's just my perspective. I say you have a good perspective. You are looking forward to something and will enjoy it.

Times are changing. We used to dress up for church (suits for men, nice dresses for women). Now men are in shirt sleeves and women in pants. Gosh, I remember when we used to dress up on airplanes. Plus, suits and dresses take luggage/garment bag space, and with most airlines charging for luggage, I see why some cruisers would like to end formal night. We drive to our cruise (Dallas to Galveston), so luggage is not a problem. It would not bother me if RCI dropped formal night -- just don't drop the lobster on what would be formal night 2.

When my wife was alive we always dressed up for formal nights. I even bought a tux to take on cruises. Since she passed away I just don't dress up like I used to. I still wear nice slacks and a shirt and I enjoy seeing others dress up. I especially like seeing men in kilts. You always wonder what he's got on under it. This is off the subject, but the one thing I hate seeing is men with baseball caps on in the dining room at dinner.I wear my hat all day long, but not in the dining room. It just ticks me off, Sorry about the little rant,but that's my opinion.

We just returned from a cruise on the Harmony of the Seas. There were eight of us altogether and we all dressed for dinner. Except my son "conveniently" forgot to pack his suit coat. *rolls eyes* He still wore dress pants, shirt, shoes, and a tie. It was the nicest he's ever dressed and it was great to have us all formal. Beautiful pictures and so much fun. Three men and five women made quite a photo op!

We dress because we enjoy it, not because we have to. I did make sure my son always wore appropriate shirt and shoes, even if he was in dressy shorts on the casual days because it's a nice dinner experience and beach attire doesn't belong, imho.

As for noticing what others were wearing? We were sitting at the first table by the door so saw everyone and I didn't really notice anything out of place. And I loved the location because I did get to see all the beautiful dresses. So I'm not really sure what people talk about when they complain that formal night has gone downhill.

Have a great time on your vacation!

I’ve been on one other cruise and it was a quick 3 nighter and I don’t believe there was a true formal night, although I did wear dresses to dinner.

I’m curious about the formal night opinions I see on CC. I’m 43 and very much looking forward to wearing a very formal, sparkly dress on the second formal night. I’m even making my kids wear ties and formal dresses. We have totally bought in and are excited. Every other night we have dresses for the girls and collared shirts for the boys/men with long pants.

Here’s my curiosity point - I see some people say things like “We are so sad that the ACTUAL formal night is going away” or “No one participates in Formal Night anymore and it’s just such a shame”. And then others say they won’t dress up for one minute, it’s their vacation and they’ll do as they please.

My opinion as someone that is very excited to dress up with her family is that, I honestly don’t care at all what the table next to me is wearing. I’ll be looking around at my family and enjoying our beautiful evening on a vacation we paid thousands of dollars to experience. Knowing I don’t have to say no to dessert because of worrying about the bill. Knowing that the kids can race off after dinner to go watch a movie outside with the ocean as the backdrop. Why in the world do I want to spend one minute worried about the clothing of the person next to me?

Reading through CC I’ve come to realize there are some very strong opinions expressed, rude and cutting responses, and some very nice, helpful, and excited responses as well. I’ve learned so very much and can’t wait to board our SHIP (as I learned to call it from these boards) on Friday.

Pauline dresses up every night and always gets compliments so dress up and enjoy yourselves.

These photos were on our 5 night Independence cruise on 28th May 2018.IMG_20180531_200555.thumb.jpg.7e58be1e8ee5ded3c3e81d54570bbc6e.jpg

IMG_20180601_191435.thumb.jpg.c517f49c0ff2a64edfc4d5d54d161ebd.jpg

IMG_20180530_182918.thumb.jpg.8fe7c1fcf2dd68a23d64b6910feca9cf.jpg

Hi LilTurano :)

After more than 3 decades of cruising, my wife & I continue to enjoy and dress/address formal evenings as if we are going to a wedding or a night out on the town, so to speak; with dinner, dancing, a show, comedy club and so on..

There will always be a few thousand passengers all doing their own thing. Some will dress formal, some will dress casual, some will skip it. The ONLY aspect that really matters is that you & your family enjoy the love you share, and the precious time you have with one another.

I rarely take notice what attire others are wearing. I'm far too focused on my holiday and my wife. Your vacation is what you make of it, and NEVER about what others are making of theirs.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Hi PortSideCruzan!

Your tone in this message makes me happy. Your last line will be the words I remember to live by this coming cruise week.

It no longer excites me because "been there, done that" and many years ago Formal Night was truly an event. The food, the service, even entertainment in the dining rooms, during the day there would be ice carving at the pool for the gala midnight buffets in the MDR after formal night. There really wasn't alternative dining; maybe a scaled back buffet, or room service. that's it. White glove service, sorbet between courses, and no "3 course" menu either. It actually felt different and special.

Now there are just more photographers, the food is nothing special, service in the MDR has become rushed and chaotic, no more midnight buffets or other special parties related to the theme of the evening, and with so many dining venues around, participation is definitely "down". I'm jut not into it anymore.

But that's just my perspective. I say you have a good perspective. You are looking forward to something and will enjoy it.

Wow that does sound like an incredible night! Ice sculptures do seem to have faded out. I remember when the fanciest of restaurants would have them for Easter or Mother’s Day.

I can understand the been there, done that mentality for sure. I guess we still have the excited butterflies and I’m excited to deck my kids out. It’ll be a great night, I’m sure.

Times are changing. We used to dress up for church (suits for men, nice dresses for women). Now men are in shirt sleeves and women in pants. Gosh, I remember when we used to dress up on airplanes. Plus, suits and dresses take luggage/garment bag space, and with most airlines charging for luggage, I see why some cruisers would like to end formal night. We drive to our cruise (Dallas to Galveston), so luggage is not a problem. It would not bother me if RCI dropped formal night -- just don't drop the lobster on what would be formal night 2.

There have been a couple people now mentioning the price with flying and that makes a lot of sense! My gown took up a significant amount of space in our luggage for sure!

When my wife was alive we always dressed up for formal nights. I even bought a tux to take on cruises. Since she passed away I just don't dress up like I used to. I still wear nice slacks and a shirt and I enjoy seeing others dress up. I especially like seeing men in kilts. You always wonder what he's got on under it. This is off the subject, but the one thing I hate seeing is men with baseball caps on in the dining room at dinner.I wear my hat all day long, but not in the dining room. It just ticks me off, Sorry about the little rant,but that's my opinion.

My husband was raised that way too about hats! He is constantly reminding our boys about it.

And now I’ll be on the lookout for kilts! ;)

I really don’t enjoy getting dressed up but respect those that do. I would never wear shorts, jeans or TShirt to MDR. My reason that I don’t enjoy it is after a day of sunning or excursions I’d just rather be comfortable. Each of us has our reasons for or against. I have seen people dressed to the nines (as my mom used to day) and sit at the table and pick their teeth with a fingernail, shove a napkin in their bosom and the best was the drunk guy at my table that would stick a toothpick in the wine cork and float it in this water glass. He would swirl his glass yelling look at the waves. And he had his drunk wife and daughter by his side. In fact one formal night the daughter was so drunk she fell of her chair.

So to me as long as you are polite, don’t smell I really don’t care what you have on.

Funny, but when people dressed up to fly, most managed on one moderate sized suitcase.

Now they are dressing casually, and need two HUGE ones. :D

But I do remember, even as a child wearing a coat and tie to fly.