Who would you have picked for NS Godmother?

haladdict

One of the Dutch princesses (as has been mentioned) to follow their mother and grandmother, or Heidi Zelker (sp?) (Zeller) wife and mother of HAL Hotel Managers.

I agree Heidi is a lovely g racious woman.

In other words, someone with some connection to HAL's history

BUT... did not her son leave HAL and go ? The competition??

To Celebrity?

I sailed with Mark twice. last was on Nieuw Amsterdam. He left HAL not long after.

He presented my DH and me w ith our platinum Medallion, (unfortuntely). We wanted to get it on one of 'our ships'........... Maasdam or Noordam but he didn't care.

I don't want to repeat rumors that I do not know to be true but as is common, there were rumors.

Edited by sail7seas

YES, YES,

GREAT Suggestion and I SO wish I had made that suggestion.

I am angry a t my self for not suggesting a Captain's wife .

Capains' wives do so much for crew and add so mch on t he mood on the ship

I have one name in particular I' d be thrilled to see as Godmother. Too bad it is too late now.

Nikki Haley. Nicole Kidman. Angela Jolie for US female celebrities, but prefer running through the Dutch royal family first. They actually chose to sail on HAL ships- what a great concept. Pick a ship godmother who actually has some connection with ships, tourism travel and cruising.

The last time I checked, Nicole Kidman was an Australian female celebrity, not US.

Perhaps it is time to shed the sexist tradition of having a godmother - why not a godfather - after all, the quaint notion of having someone with a logical connection (say Dutch royal family or at least Dutch citizenship) has been dumped, why adhere to just one remnant of a tradition?

The last time I checked, Nicole Kidman was an Australian female celebrity, not US.

You mean she is completely unknown in the US? I did not know that. I must have confused her with the Olson Twins celebrity stature in the US.

Just to keep things PC, i would also object to Jane Fonda, Kathy Griffin or Lena Dunham's political baggage as a terrible choices too. Agree, I like honoring a long-time captain's wife. Hope that suggestion makes it to Seattle.

You mean she is completely unknown in the US? I did not know that. I must have confused her with the Olson Twins celebrity stature in the US.

Just to keep things PC, i would also object to Jane Fonda, Kathy Griffin or Lena Dunham's political baggage as a terrible choices too. Agree, I like honoring a long-time captain's wife. Hope that suggestion makes it to Seattle.

Being a US celebrity and being a celebrity in the US are two very different things, just as the Beatles were a popular band in the US, but were never a popular US band.

Perhaps it is time to shed the sexist tradition of having a godmother - why not a godfather - after all, the quaint notion of having someone with a logical connection (say Dutch royal family or at least Dutch citizenship) has been dumped, why adhere to just one remnant of a tradition?

I'm not sure what all lines have broken from that tradition so far but I do know of at least 1. Pitbull is the Godfather of Norwegian Escape.

My vote now goes to Dennis Rodman - he deserve a bit of global praise and recognition. Why be binary?

Not sure "Boris" would be thrilled at being named "godmother" :rolleyes: Then again, maybe he would ...
I doubt he would pass up the opportunity to break through the barrier of yet another unnecessarily gender specific artifact.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Check again: Nov 2016

Daily Mail: "Dual US and Australian citizens Nicole Kidman and husband Keith Urban posted a proud photo to Instagram proclaiming they had visited the polling booths on Wednesday but were one of the few celebrities who did not reveal which presidential candidate won their vote. "

How about a wife of one of the long running Captains in the fleet?

Wonder what the dinner conversations would be like at the houses of those Captains whose spouses were not chosen . . .

Not quite alliteration but there was a point to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check again: Nov 2016

Daily Mail: "Dual US and Australian citizens Nicole Kidman and husband Keith Urban posted a proud photo to Instagram proclaiming they had visited the polling booths on Wednesday but were one of the few celebrities who did not reveal which presidential candidate won their vote. "

Uncle! :) Yes, you are right, she has dual citizenship now.

I'm not sure what all lines have broken from that tradition so far but I do know of at least 1. Pitbull is the Godfather of Norwegian Escape.

For a second, until I recalled him, I thought for a moment that not only gender, but species, barriers were falling.

Of course, once we reach that liberated level, should there continue to reference to even a generic deity?

For a "Godfather", I would support Captain Albert or Captain Edward G. van Zaane. Both are gentlemen, navigators, and guest oriented to the best of what we expect during a HAL sailing.

Or Captain Simon Douwes who was a Junior Officer on Prinsendam I when she suffered the fire that led to her lost, but did his job as was expected. He was the Master of Zaandam in her early months of her career, if not the take out Captain, and I think remains an employee of HAL in Seattle's office.

For a Godmother, I still think that Mrs. Kruse would have been a good one. Or the wife of Carnival Corporation's CEO, Mrs. Donald. I understand she has been a guest on the Amsterdam's most recent Grand World Cruises. She must enjoy her experience on-board.