Magic problems

Wrong. That may have been true in the days of direct-drive diesel propulsion systems where the same engines drive generators AND (through gear reduction) propeller shafts. But the Magic uses diesel-electric propulsion. The engines have one job only, and that is to generate electricity. A motor failure, or a partial motor failure would not impact hotel systems like cabin power, lighting, and cooling.

Now we can debate whether the Magic is having HVAC issues or not, but they're not related to failure of propulsion motors. Neither are the so-called hot tub issues. I'm pretty sure the hot tubs aren't driven by the propulsion motors no matter what your "quick Google search" tells you.

If anything, the ship should have an abundance of excess power available with one motor only operating at half power as suspected.

All hot air, you honestly have no clue what you’re talking about.

Wrong.

Now we can debate whether the Magic is having HVAC issues or not, but they're not related to failure of propulsion motors.

Neither are the so-called hot tub issues. I'm pretty sure the hot tubs aren't driven by the propulsion motors

If anything, the ship should have an abundance of excess power available.

Wrong again Mr Heald. I don’t know where to start but suffice it to say that I was on the ship last week and there were A/C issues as our boys room was directly affected. And for sure there were hot tub issues .

I’m fairly certain there was a lack of available power .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wrong again Mr Heald. I don’t know where to start but suffice it to say that I was on the ship last week and there were A/C issues as our boys room was directly affected. And for sure there were hot tub issues .

That's ok, I'm fairly certain you're wrong. Let's see what the actual engineers think instead of you Google engineers.

:rolleyes:

That's ok, I'm fairly certain you're wrong. Let's see what the actual engineers think instead of you Google engineers.

The fact that you use the phrases “pretty sure” and “fairly certain” says it all Mr Heald.

As I was there, I “know for sure” I’m right

I am by no means an engineer...I hope for the sake of our cruise you are.

We are being told there are propulsion issues. What does that really mean? What is causing these issues? There may be several problems on the ship right now that we are not privy to. It sure sounds like it.

No matter what the issue is it will have to be taken care of, all we ask is to get some kind of clarification, so we know how to proceed.

I know, I know......we have no rights....they owe us nothing.

What do you think would be reasonable to give back for missing one port? They do not have to give us anything other than port fees.

Things do break and as long as maintenance is done as required this would not be a huge problem for me. There is no guarantee that the cruise you booked is the one you get.

I agree! How many of us have missed ports due to weather and received nothing except port fees and taxes in return? The cruise contract lays it all out- they don't guarantee any port.

So for those complaining that Carnival's refund policy sucks, what do the other cruiselines offer? Do you know firsthand or just speculating/repeating what you've heard? I mention this because I had a friend who missed a port while sailing on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas and all they got back was port fees, but I'm not going to assume that's the norm based on my friend's one experience...

I am by no means an engineer...I hope for the sake of our cruise you are.

We are being told there are propulsion issues. What does that really mean? What is causing these issues? There may be several problems on the ship right now that we are not privy to. It sure sounds like it.

No matter what the issue is it will have to be taken care of, all we ask is to get some kind of clarification, so we know how to proceed.

I know, I know......we have no rights....they owe us nothing.

I agree. I just hope the issues can be fixed without drydock whether they are related to each other or not. I know I read about a/c complaints on just about every line, every ship but there have been a lot on this cruise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they say.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Forums mobile app

Since Carnival has not felt it necessary to let its customers know what the actual problem(s) are aboard Magic, it strikes me as pointless to argue over the possible interaction of various subsystems.

From passenger reports we know that

• Magic is not able to reach its normal cruising speed. Why, we have no idea.
  • AC is not working properly in a number of cabins. How many is unknown.
  • Apparently hot tubs are not fully functional. Are they ever?

At this point it appears to be a waiting game for information. I feel for any with booked Magic cruises. I doubt I would be too happy with the situation.

A novel idea... So what if the info they are currently posting (that is that future cruises are unaffected and the problem is/will Be soon resolved ) IS ACTUALLY THE TRUE INFO? Everyone keeps saying that they are not telling you what is happening... but what if, what if THAT is the reality of the situation??? I...

This argument suggests that one should ignore past practice of all cruise lines to treat customers as mushrooms.

If there truly were no issues Carnival would have said that the ship is operating normally. Of course one would then have to wonder about the numerous reports to the contrary.

If the problem(s) were not going to affect future cruises, Carnival would have said so. Of course one would then have to wonder about the numerous reports of emails detailing itinerary changes with dropped ports.

Question for the hot cabins. Just curious, Did you notice if they were warmer when in port or on sea days? I ask because as part of “fuel savings” many cruise lines have initiated a system to try to only operate on minimal generator power in port (like 1 DG in port) which leads to some A/C being affected. Top floors seem to get the warmest quickest as they are less insulated. The best thing to do is to make sure to file complaints with guest services, they compile that data which helps them understand their power needs. If there are temperature issues, then they can be adjusted.

Since Carnival has not felt it necessary to let its customers know what the actual problem(s) are aboard Magic, it strikes me as pointless to argue over the possible interaction of various subsystems.

From passenger reports we know that

• Magic is not able to reach its normal cruising speed. Why, we have no idea.
  • AC is not working properly in a number of cabins. How many is unknown.
  • Apparently hot tubs are not fully functional. Are they ever?

At this point it appears to be a waiting game for information. I feel for any with booked Magic cruises. I doubt I would be too happy with the situation.

This argument suggests that one should ignore past practice of all cruise lines to treat customers as mushrooms.

If there truly were no issues Carnival would have said that the ship is operating normally. Of course one would then have to wonder about the numerous reports to the contrary.

If the problem(s) were not going to affect future cruises, Carnival would have said so. Of course one would then have to wonder about the numerous reports of emails detailing itinerary changes with dropped ports.

Anyone have a copy of one of those emails that say cruises beyond June 23 are affected? I have also yet to hear from someone who had someone official tell them directly that they will be affected... just saying... everything has been heresay and speculation about itinerary changes. I am scheduled next week and will go with the flow with whatever, ***** happens. Hopefully they fix whatever was wrong here in the next few days or at least get enough Diesel Generators up and running to fulfill the scheduled itinerary AND power all the auxiliary equipment. We will see what the week brings.

Question for the hot cabins. Just curious, Did you notice if they were warmer when in port or on sea days? I ask because as part of “fuel savings” many cruise lines have initiated a system to try to only operate on minimal generator power in port (like 1 DG in port) which leads to some A/C being affected. Top floors seem to get the warmest quickest as they are less insulated. The best thing to do is to make sure to file complaints with guest services, they compile that data which helps them understand their power needs. If there are temperature issues, then they can be adjusted.

Both Port and Sea days

Anyone have a copy of one of those emails that say cruises beyond June 23 are affected? I have also yet to hear from someone who had someone official tell them directly that they will be affected... just saying... everything has been heresay and speculation about itinerary changes. I am scheduled next week and will go with the flow with whatever, ***** happens. Hopefully they fix whatever was wrong here in the next few days or at least get enough Diesel Generators up and running to fulfill the scheduled itinerary AND power all the auxiliary equipment. We will see what the week brings.

I called Carnival's 800 number yesterday and talked with a rep who seemed pretty aware of the issues with Magic. She volunteered information telling me that an email has been prepared for the 6/30 sailing stating a port would be dropped, but that the email had not been sent yet. She said no emails have been prepared beyond the 6/30 sailing.

Now maybe they haven't sent the email yet because they are hopeful that repairs can be made before then and the itinerary will not be affected. That would be the best scenario and the one we're probably all rooting for.

I called Carnival's 800 number yesterday and talked with a rep who seemed pretty aware of the issues with Magic. She volunteered information telling me that an email has been prepared for the 6/30 sailing stating a port would be dropped, but that the email had not been sent yet. She said no emails have been prepared beyond the 6/30 sailing.

Now maybe they haven't sent the email yet because they are hopeful that repairs can be made before then and the itinerary will not be affected. That would be the best scenario and the one we're probably all rooting for.

Seems reasonable that they’d wait. I’m sure they are trying to do repairs while on water and in port but no idea of how extensive the damage is. Best of luck on June 30th sailing

They would prepare and email IF a port would be dropped or THAT a port would be dropped? Big difference... and reps at the sales center are notoriously the LAST to get any info... I am confident all will be OK

They would prepare and email IF a port would be dropped or THAT a port would be dropped? Big difference... and reps at the sales center are notoriously the LAST to get any info... I am confident all will be OK

Well, honestly I can't remember if she said IF or THAT, especially since I hadn't had my coffee yet.:hot-beverage:

We booked a room on the spa deck specifically for the perk of having access to the T-pool so having that out of commission would be a huge bummer as well (I am assuming that problems with the hot tubs also means problems with the T-pool). Can anyone confirm if these issues are effecting the Spa deck amenities?

T-Pool was working fine on the 16th-23rd sailing. It was the first time we had booked a Spa cabin and we enjoyed using it.

T-Pool was working fine on the 16th-23rd sailing. It was the first time we had booked a Spa cabin and we enjoyed using it.

Excellent to hear. Now we just need the A/C to work in our room. Thanks for the response!

We are currently on the Magic 6/23 sailing on a deck 11 spa balcony. The AC is working as well as it has on the other ships we have been on. The "hot" tubs are woking and so is the T pool and saunas. The internet is complete crap even on the most expensive plan and I am going to ask for a refund. Hope this calms some fears.

-Mallow

Edited by Mallow