Princess Emerald - Alaska any tips - leaving next weekend

TravelFun251

Welcome to cruise critic!

For Alaska you must bring layers topped with a waterproof jacket since the weather can vary greatly day to day. Don't forget a hat, scarf and gloves because even if the air temperature is mild, it can feel chilly out and about on deck. Make sure your walking shoes/hiking boots are waterproof (purchase a silicone spray if necessary). Finally, bring a waterproof backpack to store your unneeded layers when on excursions.

I would also recommend that your kids each have their own pair of binoculars.

Have a great trip - we (DH, me, our two kids, their spouses and our granddaughter) leave on the Ruby on June 30th! I started laying out clothes yesterday.

Have your kids ever seen the Deadliest Catch? I found the bering sea tour to be absolutely fascinating. I'd also think they'd like the helicopter to dogsled on a glacier to be amazing, albeit quite expensive. I don't know how things work now with the new guarantee, but we saved a lot booking those things independently through the vendors (TEMSCO runs the helicopters for the cruise ships. The weather tends to be more stable in Stagway, not juneu, and they recommend booking earlier in the day in case the weather causes your original time to be cancelled (they'll try to squeeze you in later if they can). We were able to walk to all the excursions from where we docked with the Coral Princess, although this was 8 years ago. It might be worth pricing out if you can. Have a great trip!

We're leaving next weekend to sail on the Emerald. Any tips for what to pack / tips for the Emerald would be appreciated. Haven't cruised in 5 years. Will have our teenagers with us.

Thanks.

We've sailed Alaska twice and done a long camping trip that included more than a week in Alaska. Weather varied from tee shirts to rain. Oddly enough we never had cold weather on any of the trips. As for things specific to Emerald Princess: Counting Vines there are 16 bars onboard if you need to "Escape Completely" from the teens. They may never find you at Tradewinds - almost all the way forward on deck 16. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Be prepared for rain. It's possible any time. Layers of clothing, both for cool and warm weather. Binoculars if you have them. Pre-packaged snacks, like granola bars for land excursions. Bring on as much soda, juice, water or other non-alcoholic beverage as you want. There are no limits. If you want wine each passenger over 21 is allowed to carry on 1 x 750ml bottle at no charge for use in your cabin. You can not bring on board spirits or beer. Visit the youth center after boarding, your teens may enjoy it. The teens & you may enjoy the unlimited soda & more package, cost $8.05/pp/day. Pre-purchase in the cruise personlizer or buy on board the first day. Package is not pro-rated, you must purchase for the entire 7 days. Besides the DR's and the buffet there is also free food at the International Cafe, deck 5, and the Trident Grill, Prego Pizza by the Lido Pool. Soft ice cream also by the Lido pool. No charge for room service. There is a Pub Lunch one or two sea days in the Wheelhouse bar, no charge. Read the Princess Patter which is in your cabin when you board and each evening of the cruise.

Read this posting https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2640768

Just got back from this cruise on Sunday. We had our 19yo with us. He was too old for the "kid club" stuff and never made it to the "1820" which was in the Patter each night at 9pm (Skywalkers).

He loved the Soda & More package and I'm certain he got his money's worth from it.

Most of the entertainment seemed to be OK for him (although the Disco production show was terrible and he hated it.) I'm not sure if most teens would enjoy the other 2 production shows or not - mine is into music (plays fiddle/violin) so the 2 music focused shows were OK for him. He really enjoyed the comedian and the magician (I don't know if these change from week to week or not). He also enjoyed the "game show" type entertainment - both the regular & late night "18 & over" versions.

We were so busy at the ports, that he didn't really have that much time on board to get bored. Also, as an only child, he is pretty used to entertaining himself. I saw other teens up at the Movies under the Stars, but it was awfully cold up there for sitting and watching a movie. They have blankets, but sometimes it was in the low-50's with wind! For that matter, we saw some kids/teens swimming - my kid thought they were insane :)

My husband & 19yo did zip-lining in Ketchikan, we all did the Tracy Arm excursion and then a whale watching trip in Juneau (Harv & Marv). In Skagway we took White Pass train to Carcross & then a bus back down (Chilkoot Charters). In Victoria we went to the Butchart Gardens. Our son enjoyed all the excursions, but he felt the train one was a little long (total of around 8 hours). He is starting to get interested in photography, so that made the Garden better for him - he has never been a fan before of visiting gardens but he enjoyed this one. The best for him were the zip-lining and the Tracy Arm & Juneau boat trips. (We saw a lot of whales!)

Don't know about this time of year, but when we went a few years in August, we were able to see the Northern Lights. We found out that if we asked at the Guest Services desk, they would wake us up if the lights appeared. Sure enough, we got a call about 2 am one morning, went out to a dark part of the deck & not only got to see the Northern Lights, but could hear a whale spouting somewhere very close by. We were on the deck by ourselves & it was very cool!