Fairbanks...must do things!

Crusin115

Starting a Princess Cruisetour in Fairbanks Sunday, July 8 but we are arriving on Friday evening. We will be staying at the Bear Lodge.

Anyone have suggestions on must do/see things there?

Do you recommend renting a car? Thanks!

We took a tour up Dalton highway across the arctic circle to Coldfoot & flew back. It’s a long drive (thus the flight back) & I wouldn’t call it “must do” but we enjoyed seeing & learning about the pipeline & can now say we’ve crossed the article circle.

Hey Crusin115 -- My family and I will be arriving in Fairbanks late Friday and will be on the Princess tour starting Sunday as well. I'm renting a car for Saturday as I want to check out the Georgeson Botanical Gardens, Santa's Village at North Pole, AK and a very prosaic run to the local Safeway.

Can't believe it's only 11 days away!

We did the same cruisetour three weeks ago. From the Bear Lodge, walk to the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum and spend a couple of hours looking at the amazing collection of pre-WWII cars that are in immaculate condition. In a rental car, drive an hour's scenic ride east along the Chena River to Chena Hot Springs and enjoy a dip or two in the hot springs. Very relaxing. The Pump House Restaurant is good for dinner on the west side of Fairbanks. North Pole is a super tourist trap, but it's not bad if you want some Christmas souvenirs.

We are in Fairbanks yesterday & today. We found a great guy who will take you anyplace for $4pp (one way). Was much cheaper than taxi or Uber. Paul, 907-687-5944. Very nice guy, runs a little late but very accommodating. On our return trip he even stopped at Fred Meyer so we could run in to pick up a few things without charging us any extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the drive up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle and back in one day. Very cool. Another day we went to the Chena Hot Springs. It’s about an hour from Fairbanks. We enjoyed that.

You drove yourself? If so, who did you rent your transportation from? I don't find this section very scenic, compared to at least getting to Coldfoot and Wiseman with a day trip.

You drove yourself? If so, who did you rent your transportation from? I don't find this section very scenic, compared to at least getting to Coldfoot and Wiseman with a day trip.

Yes, we drove ourselves. We rented from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks. (Not cheap to rent but are equipped for the Dalton Highway.). They were great to work with. You can pick up the rental car at 7:00am and have it back by midnight or be charged another day. We didn’t go as far as Coldfoot due to the road being so bad and we were told there was lots of construction up that far. If we ever get back there, I would plan on maybe a 3 or 4 day trip and go up as far as Prudoh Bay.

It's not always the scenery, it's the experience.

Yes, we drove ourselves. We rented from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks. (Not cheap to rent but are equipped for the Dalton Highway.). They were great to work with. You can pick up the rental car at 7:00am and have it back by midnight or be charged another day. We didn’t go as far as Coldfoot due to the road being so bad and we were told there was lots of construction up that far. If we ever get back there, I would plan on maybe a 3 or 4 day trip and go up as far as Prudoh Bay.

Hey ValerieJo, we're going to do it this way next time! ;p (I'm joking! Ha Ha)

AR-306259446.jpg?MaxW=950&cachebuster=633536

We used him round trip to go out for dinner, cost of $16. On the way back he made a pit stop at Fred Meyers for us and waited while we ran in and picked up some snacks & drinks to take to Denali. He did not charge us but we have him $20 for making the extra stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums