Alaska for a "young" old lady

Okay - I have been eyeballing a cruise to Alaska for some time - really want to experience it but, I am not a sit still kind of person. I like to play games and scavenger hunt and dance and people watch and sing along and really enjoy the night life of the fun Caribbean cruises. We are considering the Ovation in 2020.

Am I going to have that on an Alaskan cruise? I know that I will be awed by the beauty of Alaska having never really been out of the south (except for that one visit to Michigan to see my sister in January), but I am scared.

Note - My husband and I will probably be traveling with another couple.

Is it really a ghost ship after 10pm? Am I gonna have something to do late-night? Pizza at 3am?

Any information (or suggestions) is greatly appreciated.

My wife and I did the round trip out of Seattle in July of 2016.. we had an absolute blast! Alaska is beautiful.. pack for 4 seasons..

I wore shorts and T-shirts most of the time, but it does get chilly at night..

We may go back in 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For most, Alaska, and not the ship or activities on the ship, is why they go....so a full day in port, having adventures...most are tired! I wouldn't count on a rousing nightlife! But, the venues are there and open...there may not be as many "partiers" as you'd like.

The weather is changeable....and how "cold" it might be depends on time of year, for the most part.

Okay - I have been eyeballing a cruise to Alaska for some time - really want to experience it but, I am not a sit still kind of person. I like to play games and scavenger hunt and dance and people watch and sing along and really enjoy the night life of the fun Caribbean cruises. We are considering the Ovation in 2020.

Am I going to have that on an Alaskan cruise? I know that I will be awed by the beauty of Alaska having never really been out of the south (except for that one visit to Michigan to see my sister in January), but I am scared.

Is it really a ghost ship after 10pm? Am I gonna have something to do late-night? Pizza at 3am?

Hi.

Perhaps you missed our review from a few weeks back

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2645176

We are a young couple but due to the early starts in the morning and tons of walking we certainly were not keeping the disco alive! In fact we never went! Park Cafe was open till around 1am.

Any questions please just ask!

We did Alaska seven years back, with 6 adults and 4 kids. We were not on Royal, so I can't speak to night life on their ships but as previous posters have said it is a very port intensive cruise. Because of all the day time activity, at night (can I call it night when the sun goes down after 11 pm?) we weren't interested in shows or dancing. We went to a bar that had almost 360 degree views had a nice Alaska beer and watched the world go by.

Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Ovation isn't sailing Alaska yet, so you are only going to find reviews for Radiance and Explorer for now. Explorer is doing an itinerary that is close to what Ovation will be doing. Neither of the two ships that are sailing Alaska now are in the same class as Ovation, so it is hard to say what the entertainment will be like, especially since Ovation is sailing in a completely different market right now and has had changes made specifically for that market.

I have sailed Anthem, which is in the same class as Ovation and we are also looking at booking Alaska for 2020, having just returned from Alaska a month ago. I think it would be amazing to be up in NorthStar anywhere in Alaska.

DH and I were on the Radiance in Alaska for our honeymoon six years ago when we were 27 and 24. We had an AMAZING time! We’ve since done the same cruise again with my mom and grandmother and dream of taking that cruise a third time.

We are total ship activities kind of people, we hate lounging around on vacation, and we had a BLAST! There are LOTS of activities onboard all day and at night as well. We enjoyed full days in the ports and then great activities back onboard. We actually enjoyed some of the activities on the Radiance better than on the Allure because of the smaller setting, which allowed everyone to participate.

Things don’t run as late as on Caribbean cruises, but there still are activities at night - dancing, piano bar entertainment etc. - through midnight. There wasn’t a 24 hour pizza place on the Radiance, Park Cafe was open until 1 AM, but you can always order room service. Of course, this is specifically for the Radiance. Given that the Ovation is bigger than the Radiance I can only assume you’d have even more on offer, at least in terms of food.

Edited by alaskawdw12

I’ve done 2 Alaskan cruises and am going on my 3rd in August. One of the great things is enjoying the beautiful scenery in the morning and then participating in ship activities in the afternoon and evening. There’s always something going on to suit just about everyone’s taste. We tend to sway toward the adult type activities like the Quest, Majority Rules, Finish the Lyrics, etc. I believe there’s dancing on most ships after the games/shows are done.

I’ve done 2 Alaskan cruises and am going on my 3rd in August. One of the great things is enjoying the beautiful scenery in the morning and then participating in ship activities in the afternoon and evening. There’s always something going on to suit just about everyone’s taste. We tend to sway toward the adult type activities like the Quest, Majority Rules, Finish the Lyrics, etc. I believe there’s dancing on most ships after the games/shows are done.

I’m jealous! Have great time :)

Ovation isn't sailing Alaska yet, so you are only going to find reviews for Radiance and Explorer for now. Explorer is doing an itinerary that is close to what Ovation will be doing. Neither of the two ships that are sailing Alaska now are in the same class as Ovation, so it is hard to say what the entertainment will be like, especially since Ovation is sailing in a completely different market right now and has had changes made specifically for that market.

I have sailed Anthem, which is in the same class as Ovation and we are also looking at booking Alaska for 2020, having just returned from Alaska a month ago. I think it would be amazing to be up in NorthStar anywhere in Alaska.

I have done the Radiance and the Explorer. Liked the Radiance because it has covered pools and nice glass elevators along the sides. Doing the Explorer a 2nd time(first was New England) I was very disappointed.

This ship should not do Alaska without a covered pool. Folks were annoyed and that made the inside of the ship busy on cool and breezy days.

Ovation is like Anthem and you will be amazed at all the different venues including Two 70 and the Seaplex which has not just sports stuff, but lots for windows to look out. Book the Ovation and you will be glad.