LGBTQ meetings

John Cruise

Does Viking schedule LGBTQ gatherings on cruises daily?

Just wondering.

Ditto. The only organized non-entertainment meetings they had were Sabbath services on Friday and Friends of Bill W. daily.

It's important to understand that Viking attracts a different clientele than most people may be used to, predominantly retirees.

Russ

Dear John Cruise,

Great question! While we do not currently have LGBTQ meetings regularly scheduled aboard, it's our pleasure to report that guests may request spaces to be arranged for onboard community gatherings. To better communicate your wishes to the ship directly, we invite you and other individuals who wish to organize shipboard groups to email us with your booking information at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We look forward to exploring with you, John Cruise, and hope to chat again soon.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Does Viking schedule LGBTQ gatherings on cruises daily?

Just wondering.

Ditto. The only organized non-entertainment meetings they had were Sabbath services on Friday and Friends of Bill W. daily.

It's important to understand that Viking attracts a different clientele than most people may be used to, predominantly retirees.

Ah - sexual orientation is a life long condition. So, yes, even retirees may be interested in a LGBTQ meeting.

Russ

I would disagree slightly with this, on the cruises we've been on anyway - several gay couples and singles (of different age groups) on our last Viking cruise and certainly not predominately retired guests by any means. I think these days people look like they may be "retirees" but are still actively involved in work or have their own businesses. On the other hand some are retirees and look far too young to be retired! ;):D

One event Viking hosted on our last cruise was a "Commonwealth" drinks reception. They invited all guests belonging to Commonwealth countries which was a very interesting mix indeed. Held in the Wintergarden it was a well turned out affair, everyone was dressed very nicely with drinks and canapés served. Captain and senior officers attended and mixed with all the guests.

Russ

I respectfully disagree that the predominant descriptor for Viking passengers is retiree.

From my experience--predominantly well-travelled, upper middle class, well educated, majority caucasian, majority from US. Some working, some retired, some self-employed and any combination of these. We also saw multi-generational family groups and folks in their 30's and 40's. Overall the demographic skewed younger than I anticipated on our TA.

As far as orientation---many same sex couples and they were unremarkable in that nobody cared.

There were no LGBTQ meetings, but as Viking as chimed in, you are welcome to set up your own meetings!

Can anyone explain the “Friends of Bill W.”?

That’s an AA meeting, named for the man that started AA.

You can google it for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the clarification.

Glad to help. I remember asking same question on our first cruise 25 years ago. It was on the HAL daily activities list, and i had no idea what it meant. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Judie

Glad to help. I remember asking same question on our first cruise 25 years ago. It was on the HAL daily activities list, and i had no idea what it meant. Enjoy your cruise!

To add:

Friends of Dorothy - which you also might have seen listed on some daily activities in the past - was the term for was is now called LGBTQ

Suspaul...I am sure Viking would be happy to set up a meeting (as they have already mentioned) for a specific group. To set up one in advance...without a request from one to the customers sailing that cruise's request might result in a pre-set gathering of one! I am an airline employee...and would enjoy a meet and greet with other airline employees from various parts of the globe...But if my husband and I were the only attendees...maybe not such a good deal!

Russ...I didn't take your remark adversely...but think your apology was very well-spoken and genuine.

I have been told that it usually stands for Queer.

LGBTQIA.

I = intersex

A = Asexual

Yes, I have seen both "Queer" and "Questioning" for the Q. In any case, it makes the group inclusive no matter what the orientation.