Carnival returning to San Diego

JMKreno

Didn't see this posted, but looks like the Miracle will be based during winter months in San Diego starting in December, 2019.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-returns-to-san-diego/

Nice to see a return to the 5-day Cabo-Ensenada run, which I think is a FANTASTIC first time cruise option, much better than the Ensenada/Catalina run.

I hope they upgrade the Miracle to match what they did with the Pride now that it's staying in the US for the foreseeable future.

They should have scheduled some of the 9 day cruises they used to sail from San Diego to the Sea of Cortez. I live here and I won't sail any of these for this reason. I've sailed the Miracle's 7 day cruises from Long Beach 5 times and would prefer that to any of these.

It's good for those who want choice and the pleasure of sailing from my home city, however.

Surprise surprise

Stu, I'm very surprised. 11 years ago Carnival threatened to pull out of San Diego unless a new pier was built for their ships. The Port Authority asked for and received a bond approval from the property taxpayers of San Diego County to pay for the pier's construction. The pier was built to spec for Carnival and we were thanked by Carnival pulling out of San Diego regardless of our taxpayers efforts.

Other than the occasional Holland-America ship stopping here on a repo cruise the beautiful cruise terminal is mostly used as a catering venue for weddings and the like. So yes, I'm shocked is what I am.

Stu, I'm very surprised. 11 years ago Carnival threatened to pull out of San Diego unless a new pier was built for their ships. The Port Authority asked for and received a bond approval from the property taxpayers of San Diego County to pay for the pier's construction. The pier was built to spec for Carnival and we were thanked by Carnival pulling out of San Diego regardless of our taxpayers efforts.

Other than the occasional Holland-America ship stopping here on a repo cruise the beautiful cruise terminal is mostly used as a catering venue for weddings and the like. So yes, I'm shocked is what I am.

The only question is do they fill up their ships at the price they are looking for? Lots of new capacity to fill up. Historically they could not get the business on WC.

The only question is do they fill up their ships at the price they are looking for? Lots of new capacity to fill up. Historically they could not get the business on WC.

I guess we'll find out when the Panorama makes Long Beach her home. We're already booked on Carnival Panorama. San Diego would be the better home port for Panorama but then I have skin in the game :)

If that Panama Canal Cruise was just a week or so later, I might consider it, since then I could fly Miami to Buenos Aires for a S2S back to San Diego. But the first South America cruise doesn’t depart until Feb. 29 2020.

Not really that much extra capacity. It's just for three months, at least that's all they are saying right now. I'm more surprised they are moving her in February instead of leaving her there until summer and using her in Alaska in 2020.

Not really that much extra capacity. It's just for three months, at least that's all they are saying right now. I'm more surprised they are moving her in February instead of leaving her there until summer and using her in Alaska in 2020.

Add Panorama to that capacity.

I could see this as an opportunity to move a larger ship (such as Conquest class) over to Alaska, or perhaps cycle Pride out of Baltimore to San Diego/Seattle, with Miracle taking Pride’s place in Baltimore after a month or two in Miami, when demand should be higher due to Presidents Day (lots of school systems give off the whole week) and Spring Break.

Then again, Carnival could just send Miracle back through the Panama Canal to take over Legend’s service out of Seattle.

Miracle also turns 15 in 2019, so she could be going into Freeport for dry dock. Her last time in dry dock was in March 2015. I could see Miracle getting 8-9 days of sailing out of Miami to capture the President’s Day crowd before heading to Grand Bahama Ship Yard, and then coming back into service just before the height of Spring Break.

Edited by tidecat
Hit post too soon

I could see this as an opportunity to move a larger ship (such as Conquest class) over to Alaska, or perhaps cycle Pride out of Baltimore to San Diego/Seattle, with Miracle taking Pride’s place in Baltimore after a month or two in Miami, when demand should be higher due to Presidents Day (lots of school systems give off the whole week) and Spring Break.

Then again, Carnival could just send Miracle back through the Panama Canal to take over Legend’s service out of Seattle.

Miracle also turns 15 in 2019, so she could be going into Freeport for dry dock. Her last time in dry dock was in March 2015. I could see Miracle getting 8-9 days of sailing out of Miami to capture the President’s Day crowd before heading to Grand Bahama Ship Yard, and then coming back into service just before the height of Spring Break.

I completely agree with all of that. I didn't even think about her drydock schedule being due. And I agree completely about needing a larger ship in Alaska and needing to swap Pride out. I have thought for a while a San Diego/Alaska ship could do well rotating seasons like that.

Glad to see sailings return to San Diego! That cruise port is so under utilized it’s sad,

On the topic of Carnival in San Diego. Does anyone know why carnival pulled into port on 14jun? According to the ports schedule, it did not seem planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to see sailings return to San Diego! That cruise port is so under utilized it’s sad,

On the topic of Carnival in San Diego. Does anyone know why carnival pulled into port on 14jun? According to the ports schedule, it did not seem planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather in Mexico forced them to cancel Cabo and San Diego was substituted when Catalina was not available.