On "Sold Old" Cruises and Upgrade Fairies . . .

cocopico

So, a couple of recent posts have raised the issue of "sold out" cruises and upgrades. I thought I'd add my experience but start a new thread that puts the two issues together. We are on the upcoming "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise departing Greenwich on July 7th. There seemed to be cabins available in a variety of categories one day and then the next day the cruise showed up as "sold out." Several days later (today), I was given an opportunity to buy an upgrade from our PV1 cabin to a Penthouse Suite (there were at least two PS cabins to choose from by the time I got around to calling to see what was available). Initially it seemed strange that they have cabins to upgrade on a "sold out" ship, but I have to believe that perhaps when they get within a certain number of days of the cruise, they essentially close it to new bookings for logistical reasons and list it as "sold out." Maybe for the same reason they close out shore excursions a week out. I certainly don't know that to be true, but I'm sure someone with more experience on this board will know one way or the other. And, in my case, the "upgrade fairy" was not so generous -- the cost to upgrade was essentially $1,000 ($499 per passenger). That is not a bad deal since the original listed price difference in a PV1 and PS1 cabin is about $4,400 (for two passengers) on this cruise, but still I understand that others sometimes receive free upgrades. In my case, paying $1,000 for a few more square feet, an extra tv and free laundry service isn't all that valuable -- I'd rather put that $1,000 toward a future cruise -- but for some it might be worthwhile. We have stayed in DV, PV and PS cabins and the PV seems to have the best combination of amenities and space for the money (or, I should say, for "our" money). Still, the ship is clearly not really "sold out" if they are now starting to play upgrade roulette, which presumably sets off a chain reaction of upgrades throughout the various cabin categories. If Viking has to "close" the cruise for logistical reasons and if they choose to do that by saying it is "sold out," then you can't really argue with that -- if you can't buy a cabin, even if cabins are available, then they are indeed "sold out." And if the "free upgrade" fairy is lurking out there somewhere, lets talk! ;)

Edited by cocopico

It is in deed true that excursions etc. close two weeks before sailing and it is so they can transfer the data to the ship; if the information is not changing in that two week period, it is one less possible problem to have to deal with. This is probably the same reason that they close bookings at that point and the ship is marked as "sold out" probably as a generic for "we are not taking new bookings on this ship at this time." I think the message here to savvy cruises is never let the words "SOLD OUT" on the website stop you from getting on the phone and asking. Another reason for closing bookings in advance of sailing may have to do with the needs/demands of immigration officials demanding information prior to arrival (but here, I am just guessing).

In any case, as a Viking frequent flyer/returning guest, I would gladly consider a visit from the $0 upgrade fairy. At one time, Viking did have an on-board upgrade policy in place for returning guests on its river cruises. I was never lucky enough to sail on cruise with available cabins. I don't know if the policy still exists but if it does and V wants to offer me a full balcony on the middle deck of my next cruise, please do it before DH starts unpacking.

There could also be the issue of guarantees: Viking may have more bookings than cabins in certain categories and this is a way to free up space where it is needed.

It always strikes me as strange when I read about someone with an Inside Guarantee getting a major upgrade – wouldn't the cruise line generate more customer goodwill with an upgrade domino effect? [e.g. the guarantee person is happy to get an ocean view; the ov person is happy with a veranda; etc.]

But from a financial point of view, it seems to me that offering discount upgrades (rather than giving the upgrades away) is a smart move by cruise lines. I was just as happy to get 'cheap' upgrades as I would have been with free ones, and the cruise line ended up with more revenue – win win.

There could also be the issue of guarantees: Viking may have more bookings than cabins in certain categories and this is a way to free up space where it is needed.

It always strikes me as strange when I read about someone with an Inside Guarantee getting a major upgrade – wouldn't the cruise line generate more customer goodwill with an upgrade domino effect? [e.g. the guarantee person is happy to get an ocean view; the ov person is happy with a veranda; etc.]

But from a financial point of view, it seems to me that offering discount upgrades (rather than giving the upgrades away) is a smart move by cruise lines. I was just as happy to get 'cheap' upgrades as I would have been with free ones, and the cruise line ended up with more revenue – win win.

I would most certainly be open to both these concepts. Obviously a no cost upgrade would be my first choice! I asked Viking recently about upgrades, and when they are available they Informed me that they look to their guests who have previously sailed with Viking. So yes, I am happy to throw our names in the upgrade hat or to the Viking upgrade fairies for our upcoming cruise! :D:D

As one of those "gty's", in Viking speak, I hope people are getting their upgrades so I can find out our cabin number. When I booked, I didn't actually understand the principle; I just knew these were the dates we needed. Now, the suspense is killing me.

As one of those "gty's", in Viking speak, I hope people are getting their upgrades so I can find out our cabin number. When I booked, I didn't actually understand the principle; I just knew these were the dates we needed. Now, the suspense is killing me.

Yes, but now you have an excuse to log into MVJ every morning. ;)

We booked a fairly last minute cruise (3 weeks out) earlier this year and when I phoned Viking to book the only thing available in the veranda level was a Guarantee DV6. We usually have a DV2 but none available. So with a deep breath and a slight worry that we would not know where we would be sleeping until we boarded the ship, I handed over the DH's credit card and that was that. First time ever of booking a guarantee.

I did check daily on MVJ and about a week later we had our stateroom allocated - at first I don't know if I was pleased or "disappointed" as the Viking rep did say with a guarantee you could be given anything from what you're guaranteed to the Owners Suite! I was imagining myself as Jane McDonald for a fraction of a second!! :'):')

Anyway, we had been allocated a very nice DV2 which suited us perfectly as that is what we would have booked (and have booked) so we were very pleased with it. So I would say that was a nice upgrade. On board, we did hear a couple of stories about folk being upgraded (not upsold) so I imagine Viking did a rolling upgrade to fill the ship. The Viking rep told me they had been selling veranda staterooms for a "special rate" the week before I called so I imagine thats how that all started - and yes, for the curious who might want to know, I did ask nicely if I could get the special rate, and yes, after consulting her manager, they said yes! :hearteyes::D

So, a couple of recent posts have raised the issue of "sold out" cruises and upgrades. I thought I'd add my experience but start a new thread that puts the two issues together. We are on the upcoming "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise departing Greenwich on July 7th. There seemed to be cabins available in a variety of categories one day and then the next day the cruise showed up as "sold out." Several days later (today), I was given an opportunity to buy an upgrade from our PV1 cabin to a Penthouse Suite (there were at least two PS cabins to choose from by the time I got around to calling to see what was available). Initially it seemed strange that they have cabins to upgrade on a "sold out" ship, but I have to believe that perhaps when they get within a certain number of days of the cruise, they essentially close it to new bookings for logistical reasons and list it as "sold out." Maybe for the same reason they close out shore excursions a week out. I certainly don't know that to be true, but I'm sure someone with more experience on this board will know one way or the other. And, in my case, the "upgrade fairy" was not so generous -- the cost to upgrade was essentially $1,000 ($499 per passenger). That is not a bad deal since the original listed price difference in a PV1 and PS1 cabin is about $4,400 (for two passengers) on this cruise, but still I understand that others sometimes receive free upgrades. In my case, paying $1,000 for a few more square feet, an extra tv and free laundry service isn't all that valuable -- I'd rather put that $1,000 toward a future cruise -- but for some it might be worthwhile. We have stayed in DV, PV and PS cabins and the PV seems to have the best combination of amenities and space for the money (or, I should say, for "our" money). Still, the ship is clearly not really "sold out" if they are now starting to play upgrade roulette, which presumably sets off a chain reaction of upgrades throughout the various cabin categories. If Viking has to "close" the cruise for logistical reasons and if they choose to do that by saying it is "sold out," then you can't really argue with that -- if you can't buy a cabin, even if cabins are available, then they are indeed "sold out." And if the "free upgrade" fairy is lurking out there somewhere, lets talk! ;)

My brother and sister in law are on this sailing also. In my case, the sold out sign appears on every single website. I suspect it is.