Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

Seems that prayers may work,indeed.

Surprising news and a good outcome.

Once the crew member recovers from this ordeal, if he needs medical help for a mental illness I hope that he gets good care and can continue his life in peace.

We may never know details, but if he jumped/accidentally fell off, he wouldn't have been wearing a life vest. So I wonder if by divine intervention there was something floating in the water he was able to grab on to, or if he somehow managed to keep himself afloat with no assistance for 24+ hours? I consider myself to be a good swimmer, but that's a loooong time for anyone to be in the water. I guess if the sea were calm you could float on your back and await rescue but no way could you tread water for that long.

True. We may never know but the story may come out. So much we don't know. If he intentionally jumped he probably wanted to end his life. However survival instincts kicked in which saved his life. It would have been easy to just go under and drift away. Its one of the most amazing stories of survival that I hope we get to hear the story someday. Its also possible he could have fallen. But someone reported the captain said he saw the video and intentionally jumped. None of this is verified just reports.

If a 6 hour delay is enough to affect your travel plans, that's all on you. You shouldn't be booking air travel with such a slim margin of error. If you have to miss work the next day, that's also all on you. Perhaps you should have given yourself an extra day off, "just in case."

Hell, I live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, drive ourselves to the port, and am usually home by 9am on disembarkation day. However, I still take off the following day from work, "just in case."

I suggest others build in a buffer as well, and perhaps take a shorter vacation to allow you to do so.

If a 6 hour delay is enough to affect your travel plans, that's all on you. You shouldn't be booking air travel with such a slim margin of error. If you have to miss work the next day, that's also all on you. Perhaps you should have given yourself an extra day off, "just in case."

Hell, I live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, drive ourselves to the port, and am usually home by 9am on disembarkation day. However, I still take off the following day from work, "just in case."

I suggest others build in a buffer as well, and perhaps take a shorter vacation to allow you to do so.

That’s what I always try to do, whether it is a cruise, a flying vacation or a driving vacation. It also gives me a day to recover before I go back to work.:cocktail:

That’s what I always try to do, whether it is a cruise, a flying vacation or a driving vacation. It also gives me a day to recover before I go back to work.:cocktail:

Agree 100%. I can’t even imagine being stressed out AFTER my vacation because of travel delays and work the next day. It’s just not worth it. I’d rather take a 6 day vacation instead of 7, just to have that buffer.

Captain just made an announcement that we are about an hour from the coordinates and will begin a search pattern at that time. Also informed us that arrival in Miami will be delayed to 15:00 (3pm) tomorrow at the earliest. Also captain said that the crew member did jump over and did not fall over.

Cruise director then informed that they will be opening up internet cafe for people to change flights, but will NOT be reimbursing any change fees for affected flights. Also will not be opening up phone lines to call airlines, you will have to use internet cafe.

Is the not reimbursing for flight changes due to their cree member jumping over standard practice? Or am I just going to have to raise hell with the home office about it when I get back?

We went straight to Guest Services to change our flights as soon as the announcement was made that we would be arriving late. They dialed American Airlines for us and said to contact Norwegian for a refund for change fees.

I will probably get flamed for this but I can see both sides. The crew member wasn't thinking of the impact on others he probably was just in emotional pain. People in emotional pain do things all the time that negatively impact lots of other people. Given the lack of mental health services in some venues we see the effect in the news all the time. That said some cruisers can't work a buffer day into their plans either for work reasons or babysitter reasons or eldercare reasons. It's the classic case of some people trying to say one person's needs are greater than others. I agree that there are probably opportunists that seize on any little thing that happens in any venue not just cruises that try to profit from it. For those people I say shame on you. On the other hand there are probably people impacted by this that are truly suffering and I think it is not right to demean them.

I will probably get flamed for this but I can see both sides. The crew member wasn't thinking of the impact on others he probably was just in emotional pain. People in emotional pain do things all the time that negatively impact lots of other people. Given the lack of mental health services in some venues we see the effect in the news all the time. That said some cruisers can't work a buffer day into their plans either for work reasons or babysitter reasons or eldercare reasons. It's the classic case of some people trying to say one person's needs are greater than others. I agree that there are probably opportunists that seize on any little thing that happens in any venue not just cruises that try to profit from it. For those people I say shame on you. On the other hand there are probably people impacted by this that are truly suffering and I think it is not right to demean them.

I totally agree with this post. It's great that some can take extra days but unfortunately not everyone is in that position.

I am not flaming you. However I take issue with your statement "people impacted are truly suffering." OMG, really? We have a different definition of the word suffering. Inconvenienced? YES. Suffering? No. The crew member and his family are suffering. Children of the world starving are suffering. People trapped in abusive relationships are suffering. Parents of dying children are suffering. I don't think missing a flight qualifies as suffering IMHO. Life is full of mishaps that cause delay or pause. All the late passengers will make it home safe and sound. Its a bit dramatic to call their plight suffering. I have not see any demean them either. I think some straight talk sounds demeaning to some. If missing a flight can cause your world to tailspin and suffer its best to never travel anywhere ever. Today all of their lives go back to normal. Not the same of a family on vacation who has a car accident and a loved one is killed. Think about it. First world problems.

Examples of people who I have met on past cruises that (perhaps suffering is too strong a word) would be stressed in this situation.

A man whose mother just died and spent almost the whole cruise sleeping off his depression on a lounger. Any mention of death would probably further upset him ditto to someone who was on the cruise to get over a child's suicide. A man who woefully miscalculated how is autistic son would react to being on the ship and by mid-week was counting the minutes until they could go home. An older person on medicare that developed bad medical issues they knew wouldn't be covered by insurance due to pre-existing condition that was counting the hours until they could disembark and head straight to urgent care. The list goes on.

Do you realize how fortunate you are to have this luxury of being able to take that extra day off? Not every one can. Even if it's 1% of the passengers who do not have that luxury, that's still 40 some people that have a problem they need to deal with. It would be nice if CC was a place those people could come to discuss their problem and not be shamed by the fact that they have a problem and not shamed becuase they didn't include "thoughts and prayers":rolleyes: for the jumper.

Unfortunately, CC is no longer that welcoming of a place. BirdTravels now deleted "welcome" post to Vacation12345 has become all to much the norm around here.

I missed the news yesterday afternoon that the crew member had been found alive! Wow! Absolutely amazing and another example of proof that miracles DO happen!! After the Getaway had arrived back in Miami, (which I watched on PTZ) I quit reading this sometimes disheartening thread as it made me so sad - not only because of the tragic reason for the thread itself but the nastiness that evolved within it. It bothered me all day yesterday, & finding out this morning due to news reports that the crew member is alive & well puts a smile on my face :)

Edited by fonekween
Did not realize this amazing news was already posted earlier in thread.

i personally wish more sailings ran saturday to saturday instead of sunday to sunday. then you get that buffer day/rest day without having to take more time off from work.

glad this member was found safe and ALIVE! clearly they must have regretted their decision and decided to fight for their life. they do say that many who jump, say, off a bridge, regret it mid air. this must have been teh same thing.

i personally wish more sailings ran saturday to saturday instead of sunday to sunday. then you get that buffer day/rest day without having to take more time off from work.

But then you have the problem on the front side. If you aren't able to take that extra day, then you work Friday and fly Saturday morning which is just a tight.

We are part of the very fortunate ones who can take that extra day and we take it on Friday for the Sat/Sat cruises and Monday for the Sun/Sun cruises.

Do you realize how fortunate you are to have this luxury of being able to take that extra day off? Not every one can. Even if it's 1% of the passengers who do not have that luxury, that's still 40 some people that have a problem they need to deal with. It would be nice if CC was a place those people could come to discuss their problem and not be shamed by the fact that they have a problem and not shamed becuase they didn't include "thoughts and prayers":rolleyes: for the jumper.

Unfortunately, CC is no longer that welcoming of a place. BirdTravels now deleted "welcome" post to Vacation12345 has become all to much the norm around here.

Agreed.

People come here to get advice and solve problems. We shouldn't be preachy or condescending.

How many times on these pages have you read a post asking if "they could make a flight within a very short time frame". The answer is mostly the same "if the ship is on time and nothing slows customs". There are way too many potential delaying factors involved and this is one of them that is beyond NCL or any of the other lines that may have been searching as well. Also just because your ship is on time it doesn't mean your flight won't be canceled and depending on where you are going and what airline your flying it could easily mean a delay of a day and if it is weather related the airline isn't responsible for putting you up for the night. If I plan on being at work on Monday I don't schedule anything important for just that reason. I guess the bottom line is that regardless of the type of vacation there are always chances of delays so if it happens why stress about it unless of course there is a real emergency at home. Then that is different.

One other point which has already been stated is unless you plan to absorb any unseen costs get travel insurance. There is no excuse in saying you didn't know about it. The cruise line pushes theirs every TA tries to sell it as well.

CBS news this morning showed a video of crew member as he FELL off the ship while sitting out with other crew members near a life boat area. This crew member was a human life, and if he/she was someone you loved, it wouldn't matter to you how much vacationers were inconvenienced to rescue them. I do however understand the frustration of travel plans to those affected, but the priority was to save a life.

Here is the video:

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article43422906.html

CBS news this morning showed a video of crew member as he FELL off the ship while sitting out with other crew members near a life boat area. This crew member was a human life, and if he/she was someone you loved, it wouldn't matter to you how much vacationers were inconvenienced to rescue them. I do however understand the frustration of travel plans to those affected, but the priority was to save a life.

Here is the video:

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article43422906.html

That is not the incident that is being discussed in this thread.