Lisbon vs. Porto: Which Best??!!

TLCOhio

On 8/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, bennybear said:

Just wanted to add, try and stay in a pousada, they’re hotels in former palaces and monasteries.  We stayed in a magnificent one on the Algarve in Estoi.  

Super appreciate this great suggestion for the staying in one of these charming and interesting former palaces and monasteries.   Sound like a great idea!!  Time to go back to Lisbon, Porto and Portugal??  Sure!!

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they had this headline: Lisbon's a treat: The foodie scene in Portugal’s capital has never been more enticing - or varied with these highlights:Food tourism in Lisbon has boomed post pandemic with Jose Avillez’s Michelin-starred Belcanto the hottest seat in town.  It must be pricey and so I head to his more accessible and less expensive Bairro do Avillez, housed in what was once the Sao Luiz Municipal Theatre.  Among its multi-eating options, Minibar, a gourmet bar hidden behind a bookcase, is the most intriguing. 

Many dining options are outlined and detailed in this profile.  This includes for pasteis de nata (Portuguese custard tart) from the Manteigaria bakery and at the Time Out Mercado da Ribeira, a gourmet food hall and produce market on the Western Waterfront that we visited and enjoyed in 2017.  Many visuals are included to bring back memories and/or build up excitement for exploring in and around wonderful Lisbon. 

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/escape/article-11536581/Lisbons-treat-foodie-scene-Portugals-capital-never-enticing-varied.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, TLCOhio said:

Thanks for sharing this interesting piece by Katie Wickers from the Daily Mail Terry!! 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to go to a somewhat unknown but beautiful place in Lisbon, I found this when I was in Lisbon in 2014: Palacio Fronteira near the Parque Florestal de Monsanto.  It was built as a manor house’s hunting pavilion for 1st Marques de Fronteira 1640. I was one of only two people there when I went to the gardens. It was quite beautiful.  For my visit this spring to Lisbon after a cruise, I'm trying out the On/Set Cinema Apartments in Alfama.  In Porto, I'm hoping to ride the Gundais Funicular from the Ribeira waterfront up to the top part of Porto.  I'm really excited about visiting Lisbon again, and maybe even more excited about visiting Porto (with a day in Portimao, too, Algrave). 

3147.fronteira details top level.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If anyone wants to go to a somewhat unknown but beautiful place in Lisbon, I found this when I was in Lisbon in 2014: Palacio Fronteira near the Parque Florestal de Monsanto.  It was built as a manor house’s hunting pavilion for 1st Marques de Fronteira 1640.

Appreciate this excellent suggestion and follow-ups.  Looks very interesting and not too crowded.  Now for some "equal time" in spotlighting Porto?

From the London/UK Independent last month, they had this headline: 10 best European city breaks with these highlights for Porto: “Aesthetically, Portugal’s second city is gorgeous. The location astride the Douro river is dramatic, with the elegant Dom Luis bridge straddling the gorge. Handsome urban architecture ushers you through the centuries.  On the far side of the Duoro, the aroma from the port houses wafts across the river, sharpening the appetite for a seafood feast. Financially, Porto is equally appealing. Porto has the lowest prices I’ve found in any big western European city for everything from a coffee to a boutique hotel.”

Sound great?  Look forward to going back to Porto and doing a Douro River sailing.

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/best-european-city-breaks-hotels-europe-b2231511.html

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

From Forbes magazine earlier this month, they had this headline: Best Places To Travel In 2023 with these highlights to spotlight Porto by Sami Allen:It’s easy to see why so many eyes are set on this Northern Portuguese city. You can expect great food, even better wine and affordable prices, not to mention tile-studded architecture and views of the ocean from the plethora of 'miradouros,' a spanish word that means, 'overlooks' throughout the city.   Some to-do’s on every proper Porto bucket list? Grab dinner and a Fado show anywhere, take an all-day tour of the Douro Valley wineries and enjoy tastings and lunch along the way and check out the many museums (like The Museu Nacional do Azulejo) showcasing the city’s rich history.

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/best-places-to-travel-2023/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,730 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Food Network and MSN News Friday, they had this headline: Trip Advisor’s Top Food Travel Destinations for 2023 with these highlights for Lisbon being in their Top Ten listing: “Tinned fish aficionados, this is your sign! Lisbon is known for romanticizing the tinned fish lifestyle, and although it’s now a TikTok trend, let’s remember who discovered it first. Being a coastal city, Lisbon offers the best in seafood, seafood and more seafood – our favourite.”

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/travel/these-are-trip-advisor-s-top-food-travel-destinations-for-2023/ar-AA16zKta

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,853 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Since this thread has a long life I would add that those doing an overnight in Lisbon might want to consider going to a Fado dinner show.  Fado is a unique music genre which we have found quite interesting.  One possibility is Senjor Vinho (actually owned by Fado folks) where you can enjoy a pretty decent dinner while listening to the music/singing.  Of course, unless you understand Portuguese you will not understand a word, but it is still an amazing experience for music lovers.

Hank

23 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Take your pick, I've written full reviews on both, just click on the links :-

Lisbon

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

Porto

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/28/one-way-to-do-porto/

Appreciate these links and follow-ups from Solent Richard in the UK.  Lots of interesting details, visuals, options to consider for these two Portugal locations, plus many more great locations in the world that this busy couple have visited on many cruises, etc.  

From the London/UK Telegraph last August, they had this headline: How to spend a weekend in Lisbon with these highlights:Lisbon is having a moment. It is the place on everyone’s lips and its breezy sea views, glossy tiled facades and red roofs feature on many an Instagram feed. The food surprises, with a depth far beyond the famous pastéis de nata (custard tarts) that are so known and loved. There is history; from the 12th-century Moorish castle that dominates the skyline to the magnificent 16th-century Manueline monastery of Jerónimos, and the bombastic 18th-century heart of Lisbon, built after so much of the city was destroyed in the 1755 earthquake.   There is authentic, genuine and welcoming hospitality; and a wave of new and affordable hotels along cobbled streets and flanking bougainvillea-clad squares, all of which brim with a sense of place. For Lisbon, unlike so much of the world, has not gone global: it remains resolutely Portuguese, looking out to sea, with its back to the rest of Europe and its identity intact.

This profile offers many different options to considering including for: "Lisbon’s domed 19th-century market hall, the Mercado de Ribeira, was converted in 2014 into the Time Out Market, a buzzy food hall, which remains a huge draw."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/portugal/lisbon/articles/lisbon-travel-guide/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,896 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

To provide "equal time", here from the London/UK Daily Telegraph last Spring, they had this headline: 48 hours in . . . Porto, an insider guide to Portugal's splendid second city.

Here are some of their top reporting highlights in this detailed profile: “Long regarded as Lisbon’s quieter sibling, Portugal’s second city is currently undergoing a magical moment of rejuvenation. Centuries ago, British merchant ships would cluster in Porto’s medieval harbour to ferry the region’s eponymous port wines back home. Now, the city’s river banks are crowded with hip new bars and cool pavement restaurants. Helping drive Porto’s transformation is its resurgent cultural scene, from world class concerts at Casa de Musica to exciting art exhibitions along Rua de Miguel Bombarda. But this ancient metropolis is not about to tart itself up and pimp itself out for the tourists like so many other popular European destinations. Portuenses love their old world ways too much to give them up. So staying put are the city’s cobbled streets and beautifully tiled churches, its lazy lunchtimes and touching friendliness. In short, what’s on offer is the best of both worlds.”

For some added, keen insights, this guide offers: "Porto is a city best seen on foot. Not that walking is a breeze: steep slopes and stone cobbles proliferate in this hilly metropolis.  If you’re after views, the climb up the steps of Torre dos Clérigos (Rua de São Filipe de Nery) is well worth the effort. From the top of Porto’s iconic tower, you’ll get an unparalleled view over the city."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/portugal/porto/articles/porto-travel-guide/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,143 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

On 1/28/2023 at 11:45 AM, TLCOhio said:

above piece by Mary Lussiana, 2022

On 1/28/2023 at 11:55 AM, TLCOhio said:

above piece by Oliver Balch, 2021

(You've been crediting all recent pieces Terry, thank you!! Since these were archived pieces, I added the credits 🙂 )

And thanks Terry and everyone for contributing to this phenomenal topic on Instanbul! If only to be there now on this very very frigid evening 🥶 

Colleen

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:55 PM, Host Bonjour said:

And thanks Terry and everyone for contributing to this phenomenal topic on Instanbul! If only to be there now on this very very frigid evening 🥶   Colleen

Appreciate from Colleen this follow-up.  You mentioned Istanbul and that brings up a book that I just started reading by history author Roger Crowley.  Am doing now Crowley book titled "City of Fortune" about Venice's rise to become a super important trading and maritime power. Venice's history was closely tied to and intertwined with Constantinople and trading to the East.  

Trading and sea power??  That connects with another book called  "Conquerors" by New York Times bestselling author Roger Crowley.  For those planning to visit for the first time or those seeking to dig deep on their history, this "Conquerors" book share details for the emergence of Portugal.  This small, poor nation rose up to experience a century of maritime supremacy thanks to the daring and navigational skill of its explorers.  This was an advantage no other country could match at the time.  I checked and obtained both of these history books from our local Central Ohio library.  

Portugal’s discovery of a sea route to India, campaign of imperial conquest over Muslim rulers, and domination of the spice trade would forever disrupt the Mediterranean and build the first global economy.    

According to reviews, this book reveals the splendor and the personalities of the enterprising and fanatical house of Aviz. Figures such as King Manuel “the Fortunate,” João II “the Perfect Prince,” marauding governor Afonso de Albuquerque and explorer Vasco da Gama merged their private ambitions and the public aims of the empire. Also central to the story of Portugal’s ascent was its drive to eradicate Islamic culture and establish a Christian empire in the Indian Ocean. Portuguese explorers went after Indian port cities in their attempts to monopolize trade. The discovery of a route to India around the horn of Africa was not only a brilliant breakthrough in navigation but heralded a complete upset of the world order.  As they say, "the rest is history"!!  

Look forward to reading this book after completing his Venice book.  These empires involving trading dominance are both connected and fascinating.  Any other books to suggest about Portugal for better understandings of these unique and dramatic histories affecting both Lisbon and Porto?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 101,204 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is the cover of an interesting book detailing how Portugal created its global trading empire that fueled its power and wealth.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.11ffc24d600ed3c492f7b32a2d5ed927.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, TLCOhio said:

Look forward to reading this book after completing his Venice book.  These empires involving trading dominance are both connected and fascinating.  Any other books to suggest about Portugal for better understandings of these unique and dramatic histories affecting both Lisbon and Porto?

Love hearing about great reads that center on/around destinations, makes for wonderful planning–sometimes one discovers something intriguing to include or seek in their wanderings–or also, to read upon return, thus extending the journey, build on the experience (plan for the next?)

Don't worry too much about an off-topic... back on the old Independent Traveler boards, and on other Ports boards here, books, film/television, music, food, all these types of things can factor into planning and so within measure, make for valuable discussion when thinking about your journeys: pre or post!

We even have a sticky topic on the Italy Port board, always happy to add something similar somewhere if the community is interested in trying it out on another board, so long of course, as we're sticking to the CC terms etc etc. (You all know the drill by now 😉 )

Thanks again for the literary update, and especially all the helpful travel links with credits. Fair use rules are experiencing interesting challenges these days, and AI creative apps are running amuck, so it's practical to share with everyone properly credited. Sign of the times. 

Keep well everyone,

Colleen

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, Solent Richard said:

Take your pick, I've written full reviews on both, just click on the links :-

Lisbon

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

Porto

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/28/one-way-to-do-porto/

I'm so happy I found this and read your blog on Porto.  I know it is about 8 years old but I was wondering if they still had the shuttle bus from the port to downtown.  We are on the Carnival Pride in May with a stop in Porto and thought we had to either do the hop on or hop off bus or the 500 bus to get to town.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm so happy I found this and read your blog on Porto.  I know it is about 8 years old but I was wondering if they still had the shuttle bus from the port to downtown.  We are on the Carnival Pride in May with a stop in Porto and thought we had to either do the hop on or hop off bus or the 500 bus to get to town.

I'll be in Porto on Oceania on April 25.  If I remember, I can post on here whether there was a shuttle, and if so, where it went.  If there's one, it's likely free for Oceania passengers, but from what I've experienced, that's not always the case for other cruise line passengers.  But paid or free, it may help you out a bit.  

I've been trying to find out where the shuttle may drop us, and so far it sounds like it's near the Clerigos tower (Torre).  (Sorry if I mentioned that before; I haven't kept up with all posts.)  But someone on Viking mentioned being dropped off a completely different place, so who knows? In any case, it sounds pretty good for at least getting somewhere in Porto where we can get around Porto and then across the river to Gaia if we have time!  Just in case there's no shuttle, however, I've got a contingency plan for my day which includes the 500 or possibly the Metro close to the 500 stop!  I want to see a lot in Porto!. 

I'll try to post back here after 25th with shuttle info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'll be in Porto on Oceania on April 25.  If I remember, I can post on here whether there was a shuttle, and if so, where it went.  If there's one, it's likely free for Oceania passengers, but from what I've experienced, that's not always the case for other cruise line passengers.  But paid or free, it may help you out a bit.  

I've been trying to find out where the shuttle may drop us, and so far it sounds like it's near the Clerigos tower (Torre).  (Sorry if I mentioned that before; I haven't kept up with all posts.)  But someone on Viking mentioned being dropped off a completely different place, so who knows? In any case, it sounds pretty good for at least getting somewhere in Porto where we can get around Porto and then across the river to Gaia if we have time!  Just in case there's no shuttle, however, I've got a contingency plan for my day which includes the 500 or possibly the Metro close to the 500 stop!  I want to see a lot in Porto!. 

I'll try to post back here after 25th with shuttle info.

Thanks so much for answering.  I don't mind paying for a shuttle into town.  The 500 bus seems to be quite a walk from the pier and I read that the hoho buses have many broken translators and you can wait a very long time for them to get you back.  What I'm planning to do is once I get into town to take a tuk tuk tour of the city, take a river cruise and possibly some wine tasting.

Have a great trip and I will look for your report when you return.  I have tours already booked for my other stops except for La Caruna and La Rochelle so if you go there let me know what you did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks so much for answering.  I don't mind paying for a shuttle into town.  The 500 bus seems to be quite a walk from the pier and I read that the hoho buses have many broken translators and you can wait a very long time for them to get you back.  What I'm planning to do is once I get into town to take a tuk tuk tour of the city, take a river cruise and possibly some wine tasting.

Have a great trip and I will look for your report when you return.  I have tours already booked for my other stops except for La Caruna and La Rochelle so if you go there let me know what you did.

We don't go to La Coruna or La Rochelle, so can't help there  -- unless you are close to Santiago de Compostela while in the former city.  We're planning to take a train to Santiago.  It's a historical city and a religious city, at the end of El Camino de Santiago.  I didn't know anything about it before I booked my cruise, but it sounds interesting, and by train isn't far from where we port (Vilagarcia). Then again some people on my cruise don't sound like they have much interest.  Anyway, enjoy your adventures!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Hi Ellie, it's me again. We were in both La Rochelle and La Coruna on our most recent Celebrity cruise. Once again, both ports are covered in my cruise blog, just scroll down to the 'Itinerary' section to see how we did both ...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2022/10/19/celebrity-silhouette-9-night-spain-france-cruise/

There's also a couple of my made up maps that may be of use, La Rochelle...

LaRochelleMap.jpg.be36ff55eba65e29b0dc9177034cb45d.jpg

LaRochelle8GlobeofFracophonie.thumb.jpg.ef9b1d45029e00f3220c5467103e1b92.jpg

...and La Coruna...

LaCorunaMap.thumb.jpg.73045607e10074394a2bd35bc65f903b.jpg

TowerofHercules2RBonSlopetoTower.thumb.jpg.0f3b4a7461f8c9fbc844691fa9f67851.jpg

And from atop the Torre de Hercules...

TowerofHercules5Wemadeit.thumb.jpg.0f921f2e4da40271095521de61a2ae35.jpg

Hope they help.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:37 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I have tours already booked for my other stops except for La Caruna and La Rochelle so if you go there let me know what you did.

Been to both La Caruna and La Rochelle.  My live/blog details what we did there.  For Portugal, plus NW Spain and western France, there are many, many very good options consider in this region.  And, most are not as busy and "over-run" with tourists as happens at other popular Europe cities and locations.   

From From Conde Nast Traveler two days ago, they had this headline: Most Beautiful Places in Portugal, From Douro Valley Vineyards to the Azores with this sub-headline: "All 15 are worth planning a trip around."

Overall, this profile summarize Portugal in this colorful manner: "With its Atlantic coast and Mediterranean climate, the country is scrappier than Spain and wilder than France—its charm is in its reluctance to be too polished, and Portugal’s prettiest places are raw, real, and natural."

This report highlights two key locations that we visited as "day-trips" from our Lisbon location.  Both were interesting and enjoyable.  

"Some say King Ferdinand II designed the palaces in Sintra to rival Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria; others say it was a romantic gesture for his lover, Elise Hensler. The Parque da Pena that surround the castle is filled with rare species of roses and non-native plants—folklore says he would instruct sailors and servants to bring back seeds and flowers to plant just for her. The colorful turrets, curved cupola, and chemin de ronde walkways seem to be wrapped in fondant icing in shades of ochre and red, and there are gargoyles, traditional azulejos, and acres of history to explore."

“About an hour outside of Lisbon, Obidos is a walled hilltop town with narrow cobble-stone streets and whitewashed houses. Stay at eco-design hotel Rio do Prado, which in May 2021 started welcoming diners to its brand new restaurant The Market Man, a greenhouse that grows more than 2,000 plants to be used in its rural recipes. Head to Bar Ibn Errik Rex to try ginjinha, a local liqueur made from Morello cherries, and take a wander round the city walls (not necessarily in that order—the walls reach up to 43 feet and some don’t have handrails)."

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/most-beautiful-places-in-portugal#intcid=_cnt-bottom-recirc_ed94fbeb-025a-42fa-a106-99fe7f72f22a_text2vec1

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,333 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 2

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this weekend, they will have this headline: 36 Hours Lisbon with these highlights: “You’ll very likely hear many other languages than just Portuguese these days in the hilly, sun-warmed streets of Lisbon, Portugal’s capital, as millions pour in as digital nomads, service-industry workers, home buyers and tourists. For travelers, especially in the summer, this popularity can mean long lines to enter the Castelo de São Jorge or to enjoy a pastry from Pastéis de Belém, which can (almost) diminish the charm of the city’s colorful-tile-wrapped facades, centuries-old churches and melancholy fado music. Lisbon, once a slow-paced maritime city, is in development overdrive, which has not been without discontent: The cost of living has skyrocketed, leading to public debate (and protests) about the city’s future and to the cancellation of the 'golden visa' program, which granted residency to foreigners who invested in high-value properties. Visiting Lisbon thus involves a delicate balance: enjoying one of Europe’s most dynamic cities while being sensitive to the challenges that have accompanied its rapid boom.”

This is kind of great news that Lisbon is popular and being discovered by more and more people.  But such a "rise in interest" creates challenges!!  This detailed profile offers many ideas for restaurants and bars, museums and attractions, shopping, where to stay, getting around, etc.  Bring back many memories from our 2017 visit to charming and interesting Lisbon.  Reaction, corrections, added suggestions, etc., for visiting Lisbon.  

Here is another highlight from this reporting: "The Lisbon of yesterday and today sit elbow to elbow in a sloping street called the Rua de São Bento. Climbing it from the intersection with Calçada da Estrela, you pass dusty antique shops, the Portuguese Parliament and the Casa-Museu Amália Rodrigues — a museum that bears the name of the Portuguese fado diva that it is devoted to — interspersed with establishments from the new creative class."

Many options to consider.  There are a wide variety of nice visuals included, plus more.  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/04/20/travel/things-to-do-lisbon.html

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 71,259 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

On 1/3/2023 at 9:47 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If anyone wants to go to a somewhat unknown but beautiful place in Lisbon, I found this when I was in Lisbon in 2014: Palacio Fronteira near the Parque Florestal de Monsanto.  It was built as a manor house’s hunting pavilion for 1st Marques de Fronteira 1640. I was one of only two people there when I went to the gardens. It was quite beautiful.  For my visit this spring to Lisbon after a cruise, I'm trying out the On/Set Cinema Apartments in Alfama.  In Porto, I'm hoping to ride the Gundais Funicular from the Ribeira waterfront up to the top part of Porto.  I'm really excited about visiting Lisbon again, and maybe even more excited about visiting Porto (with a day in Portimao, too, Algrave). 

3147.fronteira details top level.jpg

I visited Palacio fronteira in 2019 and I liked very much. I do recomend.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 6:45 PM, Lirio said:

I visited Palacio fronteira in 2019 and I liked very much. I do recomend.

Appreciate this above follow-up and helpful sharing.  Don't be shy with your experiences and any questions. 

From MSN News and a travel website two days ago, they had this headline: Porto, Portugal, Is Europe's Best Non-Capital City with these highlights:Europe has many visit-worthy non-capital cities, but none can compare to Portugal's Porto.  The Atlantic Ocean surrounds the city on one side and the UNESCO-protected Douro Wine Valley on the other. Split by the Douro River, the town center provides a charming fluvial scenery of traditional boats bobbing on the water. Colorful houses stacked one on top of the other, provide visitors with pretty views as they make their way up hilly streets.

Great summary and exciting background.  Have friends/neighbors who are there in Portugal right now.  Look forward to hearing their highlights and loves.  

Here is more from this reporting: "Portugal is Western Europe's most affordable country, so you'll be able to find decent accommodations at relatively good prices in this lovely city.  The magic of most European cities is that they're easily walkable. If you stay near Porto's historic Ribeira District, you can easily walk to most of the must-see spots."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/porto-portugal-is-europe-s-best-non-capital-city/ar-AA19e1yw

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,975 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• 4 weeks later...

From MSN News this morning, they had this headline: 12 Foods You Have To Try In Portugal with these highlights:Portugal has recently become one of the most popular destinations for summer visitors. Thanks to its gorgeous weather, beautiful beaches, and rich culinary culture, this small country on the Atlantic ocean has drawn more and more tourists every year.  Not all visitors travel to the country knowing what type of food to order at local restaurants.  Many interested in Portugal have heard of the Francesinha. Featured in an episode of 'Parts Unknown,' this legendary sandwich is known by many as the dish that made Anthony Bourdain declare, 'Good lord, look at that thing! Is there a vegetable in there?'. Invented in the city of Porto in the 1950s, the Francesinha contains a shocking amount of chorizo, steak, and ham. What's more, it is covered with a thick layer of melted cheese, smothered in a savory tomato beer sauce, and served with a runny fried egg on top.

Sound tasty and good?  Here is more in this reporting by Hannah Rice: "Arroz de marisco may mean 'seafood rice' in English, but don't confuse it with Spanish paella. Although this hearty Portuguese dish shares certain ingredients with its Spanish competitor, it is completely unique. What's more, the Portuguese '7 Wonders' project even considers it one of the 7 wonders of Portuguese cuisine.  While paella originated with hungry farmers on the beaches of Valencia, arroz de marisco comes from a beach in the central Portuguese region of Leiria." 

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/12-foods-you-have-to-try-in-portugal/ar-AA1cbbnK

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Thanks 1