Danube cruise on Uniworld

twoboys

We leave at the end of July and I am very excited. We are very experienced cruisers (love Windstar and Seaborne) and have been on one river cruise a few years ago in Portugal. Looking for advice on packing, and ports and anything else you think we should know. We are a very active couple in our 50s. My husband would prefer NOT to take a sports jacket. Will that be okay? We were able to pack light for a 10 day cruise on Windstar because they had a laundry package. I hope that we will be able to do laundry on the SS Maria Theresa as well. The river cruise boards do not get as much action as the regular cruise boards (Im sure due to number of passengers) but I know there are a bunch of you out there who have way more experience with Uniworld and river crusies in general. Thanks

Your husband will not need a sports jacket on Uniworld. A golf shirt and khakis will be fine at dinner. There are self-service laundry facilities on the SS Maria Theresa, so you'll be able to do your own laundry. Enjoy! We found the Danube to be the most scenic of the rivers we've cruised thus far.

Robin

Ports - don't know what you're interested in, but we tended to at least start off with whatever included tour option there was - and if we wanted to take off to do our own thing, we just notified the guide and made sure we knew when/where to meet the bus (if needed) and/or to be back on the ship.

For packing, check the weather forecasts for the ports you'll visit right before you leave - you can check the historical data as well as the current forecast. This can help you plan a little better for what type of layers. Comfortable well-broken in walking shoes!!

If you're active, then I highly recommend finding time in Durnstein to hike up to the castle ruins. There is a paved path which starts on the right side of town (looking from the river) and tells the story of Richard the Lionhart's imprisonment, etc on the way up (strategically placed at good "catching your breath" intervals. There is a much more "natural" way to descend into town, which is basically a path through the forest, and is much less gradual.

In Passau, you can hike to the fortress on one hill, and the church on the opposite hill, both with great views. Definitely shoes like Keen/Merrell etc if you plan to hike

Robin

We will do our fifth Uniworld cruise in April of 2019 and our third Seabourne cruise in October of 2018. In many ways, the experience is similar. Similar clientele, similar excellent service.

Seabourn is a bit more formal (even on non formal nights) so you can survive without a sport jacket. Although I and many guys wear one on the first and last nights of the cruise.

I always laugh about the importance of free laundry. You probably are spending $10,000 or more for a vacation and a bag of laundry cost maybe $30 ( and you can pack a lot into a bag).

We loved our Danube cruise (from Vienna to Nuremberg) Be ready for a pretty active cruise. Every day we were off the ship by 9 and spent a full day touring - some with a group and some on our own. Realize there are no sea days. You will be pretty tired by the end of week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uniworld also has bicycles for you to use, if that is of interest. Quite often there are pathways along the river so you can enjoy a scenic ride without dealing with road traffic.

And if a longer ride is one of their scheduled activities, they have a cycle company supply the bikes and a leader and sweeper. And planned rest stops for 'refreshments'. You take off on the ride, the ship cruises away and you meet up later up/down the river.

Enjoy!

RB

Uniworld is very friendly - and does not really subscribe to the Seabourn dress code thread. Whilst you will see Sports jacket, a collared shirt and chino’s are perfectly acceptable for dinner!

For breakfast lunch you wear whatever you’re planning to go out in unless you choose to change

We just returned home from the Uniworld Danube cruise, our 3rd Uniworld cruise. I would suspect warm weather so pack light. While I saw no shorts in the evening dress is casual . No need to bring a sports jacket unless you just want to have it along in case you decide to go ashore to a great restaurant.

Don't forget to take sunscreen!

safe travels, and glad to answer any questions

Thank you so much! I just told my husband today that we have to get travel size sunscreen. We always pack light. As a matter of fact, we never check luggage (which is why I like the option to do laundry). We were on a 10 night Windstar cruise through Sicily 2 years ago and stayed 3 extra nights in Rome with only carry ons.

I have a million questions. But top of the list are: favorite excursions and/or ports, and anything you think it would be helpful to know or things not to miss or what we shoudl avoid.

You can easily get by with a rollaboard suitcase for each person, and travel with only a carry-on.

We did this itinerary in April 2016 on River Beatrice (since redone as SS Beatrice); a link to my review with information about what we did in each port is in my signature. Robin (acwmom) also did a review of her cruise the year after ours. Still jealous that she had time on her cruise to hike to the fortress of Richard the Lionheart, and we didn't.

Agree that you don't need a sports jacket unless you want to wear one. Enjoy Uniworld! It will be a great cruise.

PS - if you run out of sunscreen you can always buy more.

I did a lot of blogging about our Uniworld Danube trip. It was a few years ago now, so not everything will be perfectly applicable. But if you're like me and appreciate research, you'll probably enjoy it. On our Trip Index (I know, we're behind) scroll down to the 2014 Danube River Cruise.

Here's my packing list for our 2-week trip. I was slightly over-packed and travel lighter now.

glad to speak directly if you like, email or phone? again pack lightly and take sunscreen /hat. I checked the weather .com prior to departure and the forecast was wrong every single day, yep every single day In my next life I will be a weatherman as you are paid whether correct or incorrect

glad to speak directly if you like, email or phone? again pack lightly and take sunscreen /hat. I checked the weather .com prior to departure and the forecast was wrong every single day, yep every single day In my next life I will be a weatherman as you are paid whether correct or incorrect

Before each trip I make up a spreadsheet from weatherunderground or accuweather with historical highs and lows for each day. That information stays accurate! I also list the forecast – and if I update it every 24 hours in the week leading up to the trip, it changes every day! And then the actual weather is different yet. I agree, being a weatherman is the best job in the world (at least in terms of lack of accountability). ;p

No matter where we go, there is always "record heat". I got a sun burn in Oslo and sun poisoning in Brussels. We know to pack light for day and that I shoudl bring a sweater in case of aggressive air conditioning at night. With laundry on board we will be fine, I also always travel with an older pair of sneakers for work outs and leave them there to make room in my suitcase for something new