Traditional Dining Wait List/ Princess credit card

jgris90

booked this cruise very last minute, we were put on a wait list for traditional dining. We were in position #35 and moved to wait list #1 .

Will this position change with only 3 days to go before departure?

Also does anyone have any opinions about the princess Visa card?

If you aren't assigned to the dining you want, go to the Maitre d' session on the afternoon of embarkation (check Patter for time and location) and ask to be moved. It likely will happen.

As to the Princess credit card...you need to evaluate in in comparison to other cards on the market. I prefer a card that gives me real cash back, not points/credits/reward dollars that are limited in where I can use them. If I could get 2-3 times the amount in a more restricted format, that might work. Otherwise, I'll stick to cash.

Really depends on a number of things. How full is the ship, What type of table do you want. Are you willing to share. Do you want early or late seating. Late seating is usually easier to get into then early. The last cruise we were on we booked early and still did not get the table we wanted even after going to see the

Maitre d'. We wound up going to Anytime. First time this has happened in 25 years. Maitre'd said just too many people for the early. But doesn't hurt to ask.

Will this position change with only 3 days to go before departure?

The cruise cards (with your dining room and table assignment) are printed several days before embarkation. So if you haven't cleared the waitlist by now my guess is that they will say ATD. But just go see the Maitre d' at the time and location mentioned in the Patter, and very likely you will be assigned the time you wish.

The cruise cards (with your dining room and table assignment) are printed several days before embarkation. So if you haven't cleared the waitlist by now my guess is that they will say ATD. But just go see the Maitre d' at the time and location mentioned in the Patter, and very likely you will be assigned the time you wish.

Depending on your request , Early or Late , Sit with others or not , it could happen but usually not until the 2nd night.

On the Royal 18 June sailing, we had "6pm" traditional dining with our booking (6 family members). As we expected from cruise critic, when we boarded, the dining was actually 5:45 (or maybe 5:30). This was a complete non-starter for a port-heavy itinerary (for us). We are first-timers, so we didn't board until later, but DW went down to the Maitre d' while we all waited for embarkation lunch pizzas in Alfredo's and he was extremely helpful. He booked us for a 7:45pm table in Concerto, and from then on, all 12 nights we walked right in at 7:45 and had the same table of just our family and same great waitstaff (Ludy and "Dranreb") every night. It turned what was a concern into a highlight of the trip. We expected to be split up for dinner, with the older crew going to the dining room at 5:45, and the rest eating at Horizon Court at ~8:30pm. Instead, we had 12 nights of 3-generation meals around the same table and loved it.

I've seen the early seatings full when booking cruises at the last minute. Many times we've had to take the waitlist option for late seating as well. We've always managed to clear the waitlist except once. We did not fight it and did anytime dining and specialty dining. I prefer traditional, though, and when Princess messed up by giving us anytime at check-in even though we had been confirmed for traditional, I did queue up to see the maître d' to have it changed. No problem since we were willing to share.

Since there are only two of you and you are willing to share a table, you have an excellent chance of getting early TD. It is is not on your sea card when you board, go talk to the maitre'd the afternoon after you board to get it changed. Pax are always changing their minds about dinner. We always ask for 6 PM TD and it turns out to be 5:30 PM. We would prefer later but want TD and the later seating is after 8 PM which interferes with evening activities.

I have the Princess VISA card and have had for over 10 years. Barclay is not the easiest credit card company to deal with in my experience so I use it only for Princess and Carnival charges. They are not the most generous either particularly for charges not from Princess. It is easy though to get OBC from them as they automatically add it to your cruise.

The problem I had with them was someone stealing my card information. It happened at a local restaurant when someone used a card reader to read my credit card while they had it to complete my bill payment. The restaurant fired that person who most likely did it. The problem was with Barclay who refused to acknowledge the card information had been stolen. It took several registered letters to get it straightened out. After that only Princess and Carnival gets to see and use the card.

Thanks for the replies, were only 2 people , however we want to eat early and are willing to sit with other people, Im just concerned as the cruise is fully booked

If you want to eat early and willing to share I would just stick with ATD. That's what we have and never have trouble going straight in if you eat early.