Behind the scenes tour of HAL ship

Esm2437

When you embark the ship -- go directly to the front desk and ask if there will be a ship tour which as mentioned is $150 per person.

On short cruises -- like 7 days -- it may be split up over a couple of days -- one may be a port day. So be certain you ask when it is if there is one.

When you embark the ship -- go directly to the front desk and ask if there will be a ship tour which as mentioned is $150 per person.

On short cruises -- like 7 days -- it may be split up over a couple of days -- one may be a port day. So be certain you ask when it is if there is one.

Thanks for the very informative Post. (y)(y)(y)

WOW. It's been a long time since we did the tour, but if I recall correctly, there was no charge.

WOW. It's been a long time since we did the tour, but if I recall correctly, there was no charge.

It changed a few years ago.

No charge for the mini tours - like the galley tour, Carole, but for those ships that do the full "Behind the Scenes tour", there is indeed a $150 fee.

It changed a few years ago.

No charge for the mini tours - like the galley tour, Carole, but for those ships that do the full "Behind the Scenes tour", there is indeed a $150 fee.

Absolutely correct! The complete Behind the Scenes Tour provides access to areas that the "free" tours do not provide. For me, a major advantage of these tours is the opportunity to meet Senior Officers of the areas the tours visit with the ability to ask questions of these folks. The "End of the Tour" Cocktail Party and gifts received are "icing on the cake" as far as I am concerned.

$150 does seem like much money for such a tour. But, if one is more than superficially interested in the operation details of a cruise ship, the Behind the Scenes Tour is a bargain. I have taken more than one and learn more each time that I do so!

Agree, anyone who wants to learn what goes on behind the scenes while we sleep and play needs to take this tour at least once. I suspect insurance cost may be part of that high tour price - landlubbers touching things or tripping over things is always a risk.

We took this tour on the Eurodam in May. I believe it was on the day we visited Victoria as it was a late port. We asked when we boarded, but they did not know if it would happen. Asked again a couple of days later and were able to sign up. I believe there were 8 or 10 total on the tour. Very informative and lots of fun. I would suggest doing it once to really see how these amazing ships work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

If you do sign up for this tour, and it doesn't happen, make sure you don't get charged for it!

I tried to take it on the Oosterdam a few years ago by signing up as soon as we boarded. We were later told it was canceled due to lack of interest. Well, I only ever saw one very tiny mention of it in one of the daily programs so it was likely no one knew about it.

When I was reviewing my charges the last night, I found I was still charged for the tour, even though it didn't happen. Had to go wait in line to have that removed. Was kind of irritating.

I did a behind the scenes tour on the Eurodam and it was well worth the 150. They took a picture of you on the bridge and it was delivered to your cabin later. I also got a set of HAL shot glasses (6), a book about the engines and drinks at the end. It was very interesting and would recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did a behind the scenes tour on the Eurodam and it was well worth the 150. They took a picture of you on the bridge and it was delivered to your cabin later. I also got a set of HAL shot glasses (6), a book about the engines and drinks at the end. It was very interesting and would recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The end of the tour "goodies" are an extra added attraction, I think. Drinks and snacks with a chance to ask further questions of the Officer who conducted the tour (once, the Hotel Director joined our merry group and that added much to the experience) was a plus. The HAL shot glasses are nice to receive. Once, my group was given copies of all of Rudi's photo cookbooks. (My gosh, they were heavy to get off the ship!!!!)

Being in such a small group of guests adds to my enjoyment of the tour as well.

The officers that guide these tours certainly do not benefit from the $150 P/P fee. The high fee is just to keep the list of applicants down to a reasonable level. If it was free (like years ago) or maybe $20, the sign-up list would be huge and there would be many disappointed guests. So, the high price thins the list a good bit.

Thank you all for the detailed information!. The tour sounds wonderful and I will sign up right away. Personally, I could skip the kitchen entirely; it's one room I've always tried to avoid.