Can older ships be refitted to add Studio B?

Just back from some Ice Skating on Symphony. Aside from loving the skating, I think that Studio B is a great venue (especially for Quest) and wish that all of the ships had it. Do you think it is possible that Radiance and Vision Class could be refitted and Studio B being added in the refurb? Not that I think it would happen, but do you think that the ships themselves could be modified for it?

Just back from some Ice Skating on Symphony. Aside from loving the skating, I think that Studio B is a great venue (especially for Quest) and wish that all of the ships had it. Do you think it is possible that Radiance and Vision Class could be refitted and Studio B being added in the refurb? Not that I think it would happen, but do you think that the ships themselves could be modified for it?

Very doubtful that they could make that modification on the narrower ships.

Well the Ice rink is one extremely heavy thing to put on a ship not designed for it.

I have no idea if it could be done, with the keeping in mind that enough money can probably buy you almost anything, but I´m pretty sure it wouldn´t be sensible at all to do so if even possible.

Aside from the ice issue, I´m not sure where you´d put it on Vision or Radiance class.

Your comment about Studio B and the Quest is interesting as I least enjoyed Quest on ships holding it in Studio B. I always thought it was so much more fun in one of the lounges than in Studio B. Intersting how we all differ.:)

Even on Quantum Class as well. Could they convert SeaPlex into Studio B and keep the Bumper Cars and Trapeze if the Ice is covered?

I don't think they would want that much weight that high. Weight is one reason the existing ice rinks are on very low decks.

Even on Quantum Class as well. Could they convert SeaPlex into Studio B and keep the Bumper Cars and Trapeze if the Ice is covered?

No way they can put something as heavy as an ice rink on deck 15. Those ice rinks need to be down low on the ship, not on top.

Just wanted to elaborate on the ice rink being up high. Someone might compare that to the weight of pools and the fact that the pools are up high too. The difference is that the marine staff can quickly dump the water in the pools if need arises, which would not be possible with ice.

Take out cabins, NOT A CHANCE!

As far as weight? I don't think that's a factor at all. An inch or 2 of water isn't a lot when compared to other things that would be there if the rink wasn't. Being on a lower deck is beneficial to the skaters having less motion there

The ice the Bruins play on in the TD Garden in Boston is only 3/4" thick. Not sure weight is such an issue, but the ship and the deck flexes much more at the higher decks than down low, so there would likely be cracks and fissures in the ice all the time.

I think the only way they would do this would be to stretch the ship like they did with Enchantment of the Seas by cutting the ship if half and then adding a whole new block which would create more space for cabins and public areas. Doubtful they would do this, but I think would be a logical way.

The answer is clearly no. Since RCCL wants to bring some differentiation to it's ships the Quantum Class did not receive Studio B and instead has the Sea Plex, with the bumper cars etc + the 270. Maybe we will see Ice skatting rinks again on the Icon Class and or something else revolutionary. Regarding upgrades, the Vision and Radiance Class of ships which will disapear from the fleet within the next 10 years could not even receive a flow Rider both for space an weight limitations.