Cuba Customs in port of Havana

We would like to bring a suitcase full of supplies for the Cuban people. Will customs at the Havana port allow us to take the suitcase off the ship? Thank you.

They likely will not. It is very frowned upon, (and in poor taste.)

We would like to bring a suitcase full of supplies for the Cuban people. Will customs at the Havana port allow us to take the suitcase off the ship? Thank you.

Why? Giving handouts is kind of an insult in a country that provides everything needed for there citizens. You should never look down on the way of life when you visit other countries.

I am thinking of bringing bags of candy for the children any thoughts about this?

Would you let your children take candy from strangers? You want to help, spend some money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking of bringing bags of candy for the children any thoughts about this?

Cuba is not-at-all like some of the other ports you may have experienced, where children are running around trying to sell things and/or begging. All the kids we saw in Cuba were in school groups, or being watched over by their parents. I would think it would seem very odd to approach one of those groups and hand out candy.

As someone said earlier, imagine someone approaching your child's class while he/she is on a field trip. Would the teacher allow the kids to take the candy...? NO!

Your best option to "give back" would be to book a tour that involves a visit to an orphanage or something similar, where donations are accepted.

CeleBrat

Candy that is totally wrapped up and sealed in bags, not individual pieces....but I guess you're right, best not to even try probably get myself into some type of trouble if I do, even though I only mean well.

Exactly, no good deed goes unpunished applies here.

I would never look down on anyone. I had read on these boards that people often bring school supplies and such and I figure I could do that.

When that is done outside proper channels, it creates a problem of children skipping school to get items that they may use or may resell. Missing school in some countries where parents pay for education and can be jailed for kids' truancy is a big deal.,

One of the main reasons why I want to see Cuba is I do not believe anything the media says, I want to see and experience it with my own eyes. I won't be bringing a thing, I hired a great tour guide who will take us around for the day.

Hello, and Coevan thank you for that link.

Many items are too heavy and bulky to bring, but there are many items that I can bring that I have read Cubans would be extremely grateful for such as toothbrushes, dental floss, hair scrunchies, small shampoo, conditioner (hotel size and I have tons of them), coloring books, crayons, etc.

We were in Havana last year. Saw very few children on the street. And we were told not to give anything to the kids we saw. They are supposed to be in school which is state provides from age 5 to 25 fre of charge.

The Ladies in White are the most internationally renowned civil rights movement in Cuba. The ‘Damas de Blanco’ formed in 2003 during the Cuban ‘Black Spring’, in which 75 civil rights activists and independent journalists were arbitrarily arrested. Since then, the wives, sisters, and mothers of the political prisoners have peacefully advocated for the release of all political prisoners in Cuba. Dressed in white, they regularly attend Sunday Mass in many cities in Cuba and then march in silence through the streets, with a gladiola in one hand, and a photo of jailed relatives in the other. Today, the movement in Cuba has well over one hundred members. In Cuba, wearing white clothing symbolizes resistance to the repressive Castro regime; as a result, there is an unwritten law in Cuban prisons against wearing white. In December 2005, the European Parliament awarded the 'Ladies in White' for their courageous commitment to human rights with the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.

Although they face increasing violence and reprisals, the women refuse to give up their struggle for human rights and freedom in Cuba. They are regularly attacked by thugs that are linked to the regime, prevented by governmental bodies in exercising peaceful expression, and their human rights are impeded by force. Demanding these basic human rights has already costed several hundred people their freedom in Cuba.

The Ladies in White do take donations.

I was in Cuba this week on a different cruise line. It is the same pier, however, and the experience should be the same. Baseball is the national sport, and I coach multiple youth baseball teams, so I packed several brand new baseballs still in the plastic. The customs people scanned my bag a second time, looked at the baseballs, looked at me funny, and then let me through. The larger challenge is that I did not actually see any groups of kids to whom I might give them. The baseballs are now back in my trunk and ready to go to practice tomorrow.

We were just there last week on Paradise and they said not to bring anything with you. It will open you up to a long customs inspection, lots of questions and just hold up the line for the people behind you trying to get to their tours. Also, as stated above it isn't like other Caribbean ports, just saw a few kids in school groups, no kids hanging around port. Any Cuban questions please ask.

Why? Giving handouts is kind of an insult in a country that provides everything needed for there citizens. You should never look down on the way of life when you visit other countries.

Besides the money you spend going to Cuba enriches their government so therefore it trickles down to the people you feel sorry for for some reason.cuba is making tons of money in tourism.

We were just there last week on Paradise and they said not to bring anything with you. It will open you up to a long customs inspection, lots of questions and just hold up the line for the people behind you trying to get to their tours. Also, as stated above it isn't like other Caribbean ports, just saw a few kids in school groups, no kids hanging around port. Any Cuban questions please ask.

Did you do a review? I am anxious to read everything since we are going next year. Thanks!