Check an item at Embarkation???

jjmock

Can anyone offer advice on how to best check an item at embarkation? We will be boarding Diamond Princess tomorrow, and while in Tokyo my son purchased a cooking knife. We would like to be proactive, and check this with security pre-boarding for pickup later. We don’t want to seem like we are trying to sneak it on board, but as I recall, all bags are handed to porters or scanned before even reaching check in. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do not have to hand all your luggage to a porter. You can carry on some of it. Yes it will go through security before you are on board. I would imagine that is the time to tell security about the knife.

As above--do not put it in your checked luggage. Keep it with you (purse, carry on bag, shopping bag, whatever)....and when you get to security, TELL the agent about it and get it out of your bag at their instruction.

I've never had anything like this on Princess, but on other lines, this would be kept at the terminal with your name on it and you'll be issued a receipt. After the cruise, you will be able to claim it at the terminal. Obviously this doesn't work if you are not embarking and disembarking at the same port.

As mentioned, I would not put this in my checked luggage. My first option would be to mail it back home and next, take it through security in your hand luaggage and ask if you could check it. There is a slight possibility it will get lost if you check it, which is why my first option would be to mail it to your home.

If you put it in your checked bag you will get called to the port inspection people. We had a small replica of the Shard building in London in one of our bags and we had to leave the ship and go open the bag for them. They had sketched the item and made us show it to them. I assume if it were something like a knife that they thought it was, they would not let us take it on board. Firearms, knives, etc are not allowed on board.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp#Prohibited

My DH’s Swiss Army knife was confiscated at embarkation and he did get it back. We thought it was kind of funny since our steak knives in Crown Grill would have done more damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH’s Swiss Army knife was confiscated at embarkation and he did get it back. We thought it was kind of funny since our steak knives in Crown Grill would have done more damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But a Crown Grill steak knife can’t scale a fish or file your nails.

I purchased a wooden letter opener in Hawaii while on a cruise and they confiscated it and I got it back as I was leaving the ship. This was not done by Princess employees but terminal workers

Can anyone offer advice on how to best check an item at embarkation? We will be boarding Diamond Princess tomorrow, and while in Tokyo my son purchased a cooking knife. We would like to be proactive, and check this with security pre-boarding for pickup later. We don’t want to seem like we are trying to sneak it on board, but as I recall, all bags are handed to porters or scanned before even reaching check in. Any advice?

It depends a lot on what port you are leaving from. Since it appears that you will be leaving from Tokyo, procedures there may be completely different from how things are handled at US ports. What I would suggest is that if you are at a hotel, contact the desk and see if they cannot mail the knife to your home address or, if you are returning to that hotel after the cruise, hold it for you until you return. I would certainly not try to carry it on-board in hand-carried luggage, though!

Tom

We also purchased a letter opener in Barcelona and didn’t think about it...until it was flagged by security. They surprisingly let us board with it but it took some back and forth.

I am just glad we bought a small souvenir!

I'm wondering how they handle those Ulu (sp?) knives that people buy in Alaska?? Do they let you carry them back on board from the port?

We mailed ours to our home address. My BIL had a very nice knife he bought on an Alaska cruise confiscated - he was not happy about it but nothing you can do when knives are not allowed.

I would do as others suggested and mail it home.

I'm wondering how they handle those Ulu (sp?) knives that people buy in Alaska?? Do they let you carry them back on board from the port?

I bought an ulu knife on my first Alaska cruise, and just carried it on. But that was before 9-11 and the security was completely different in those days. I have not tried to carry on a knife bought in port in these more stringent days.

However, I have brought a pocket knife with me (in my checked baggage) on every cruise, without having Security get upset.

I had no problem getting several Alaska ulu knives back on the ship, I think it was in 2015. Was never even questioned about them. But I did put them in my checked luggage for the flight home. For sure did not want that hassle at the airport.

We mailed ours to our home address. My BIL had a very nice knife he bought on an Alaska cruise confiscated - he was not happy about it but nothing you can do when knives are not allowed.

I would do as others suggested and mail it home.

May vary by cruise line and/or ship. I know that I've seen many of the Princess ships disembarking in Seattle with a table manned by the ship's security people with a lot of confiscated (or otherwise kept) by security on the balcony. People come off the ship with a receipt and go to the table and pick up different items. Never watched the process to see what was returned to the cruisers, but have seen it often. I suspect that in at least some of the cases it might have been items that are deemed dangerous or something that have been purchased ashore and brought back to the ship and confiscated for whatever reason only to be returned at the end of the voyage. That and probably alcohol purchased ashore or aboard during the cruise.

Tom

Recently we purchased a knife at a port--a gift for our 10-year-old grandson--never thinking it would cause a stir on reboarding! We filled out paperwork, got a receipt, etc. before disembarkation in FLL we were sent to several people--none of whom seemed to know what to do. Finally, as we were leaving after luggage pickup, still nobody knew what to do. We went back in and saw an open door in the terminal (just before exiting) and asked, and the knife was brought to us. So, do yourself a favor, mail the knife home!!

I purchased a wooden letter opener in Hawaii while on a cruise and they confiscated it and I got it back as I was leaving the ship. This was not done by Princess employees but terminal workers

DH bought one in Kauai in March, and we were worried it would be confiscated by security. I put in my purse with our other purchases, and we had no problem taking it onboard.