Tears from Haven

shaun07

Lol, seriously!? I can't imagine worse entertainment than NCL, which is why I'd book the Seaside in a heartbeat if comparing the two.

That's too bad you feel that way.

I've seen shows like Rock of Ages, Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams, Burn the Floor, etc all of which were stellar on NCL.

Then, there's Fat Cats, which has had some of the best Jazz and Blues players I've heard anywhere. Howl at the Moon is way fun, too.

I like MSC, but they have nothing close....no mainstream cruiseline does....and I've been on most of them. I understand they are changing the entertainment on Seaside. But, on the Divina and Meraviglia (who has its own Cirque show), they weren't the same quality as you'll find on NCL.

I will say the that the entertainment on the Escape was excellent. Choir of Man was very good and so was After midnight. I do wish they would find a better venue then the atrium for game shows and other events. Its so difficult to hear or see whats going on.

Now I am concerned about the entertainment on MSC. Does MSC have game shows at night like love and marriage? Cirque is not my favorite. Its been done a thousand times. If I see another person hanging from a curtin or a hula hoop I will jump overboard lol.

Yep you did well and that sounds like a great value combination trip!

For us the value is generally delivered upon, yes the ports are the same but the experience is different, the lines, the stresses, avoiding the scrum in the Garden Cafe for breakfast and dirty food covered tables, the cabin itself, embarkation, tendering... blah blah... those are all things we value. When we get lucky on an investment or a client buys an extra job, we look in the piggy bank and ask "drop an extra $6k for the Haven on our 11 day Panama at Christmas??? Hell yes...

On the other hand I drive a Jeep with a broken fender, not an Audi Q5, but I wear $300 shoes, sleep in $300 bedsheets but buy Wegman's own-brand Corn Flakes and soup, yet drink Blue Label Scotch. None of those choices are right, wrong, smart or stupid, they are personal... I apply my hard-earned cash to things I personally care about.

Very well put and I agree. Everyone spends money on things that others find ridiculous. Its not like I have a butler at home lol. I save and try to be frugal so when I do go on vacation I go big....in the hope I won't have to go home.;p

After sailing the Haven on Escape, this is EXACTLY what I would do too. Though I would also book the spa pass for the week and see if you can get a Vibe pass. With all that saved Haven cash, the spa is nothing. Not sure if you have used the spa on Escape, but it's pretty incredible.

We really aren't spa people, and I'm one of those that doesn't like being tucked away in a corner of a ship, so Vibe is out as well. I love Posh on Epic, and how you have your own space, but still able to be a part of everything. Wish Vibe was like that!!

We really aren't spa people, and I'm one of those that doesn't like being tucked away in a corner of a ship, so Vibe is out as well. I love Posh on Epic, and how you have your own space, but still able to be a part of everything. Wish Vibe was like that!!

I'm not normally a spa person, but the Escape is a bit different than a typical "spa" - it's more of a large, quiet, relaxing area with some nice amenities.

I've seen shows like Rock of Ages, Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams, Burn the Floor, etc all of which were stellar on NCL.

Then, there's Fat Cats, which has had some of the best Jazz and Blues players I've heard anywhere. Howl at the Moon is way fun, too.

I like MSC, but they have nothing close....no mainstream cruiseline does....and I've been on most of them. I understand they are changing the entertainment on Seaside. But, on the Divina and Meraviglia (who has its own Cirque show), they weren't the same quality as you'll find on NCL.

We enjoy cruise ship entertainment but on Escape the brat pack was ok and After Midnight was awful. Besides that, they really had nothing.

We are, admittedly, used to Oasis class and a half dozen shows, all of which blow away what we saw on Escape. I just couldn't imagine booking NCL for entertainment considering the lackluster (and downright bad) offerings we experienced on Escape.

Howl at the Moon was decent, but the venue was so bad we couldn't sit comfortably in the chairs for very long. It's just an open space with rows of chairs, like a wedding. And they even closed the bar during the comedy routines... ugh.

I feel the opposite. Nothing I’ve seen on either the Allure, Harmony, Liberty, or Anthem bested the entertainment we saw on NCL.

MSC seems to be finding their sea legs in the North American market as far as entertainment. As hard as they’re trying, I’m sure they’ll become more and more compelling.

I then decided to convince my husband that maybe we should try the Haven.They have a nice pool and 2 hot tubs. and a beautiful sundeck. But kids playing football in the pool is not my idea of a Haven. There should really be an adults only time during the day and evening as the OP stated.

Do you mean the boys having fun on their vacation, that were told (and listened) that if an adult came into the pool they needed to stop playing and let them enjoy the pool without being splashed?

I feel the opposite. Nothing I’ve seen on either the Allure, Harmony, Liberty, or Anthem bested the entertainment we saw on NCL.

MSC seems to be finding their sea legs in the North American market as far as entertainment. As hard as they’re trying, I’m sure they’ll become more and more compelling.

You are one of the VERY few people who would have this opinion. I couldn't even begin to fathom how someone could think NCL has a better entertainment offering than Harmony.

$12,000 will give me 4 cruises for a family of 4!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's how I look at it. After cruising in a suite on the Star, it's just not worth it to me. A butler bring extra food that we dont need, and a concierge that did nothing, is not what I need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I will say the that the entertainment on the Escape was excellent. Choir of Man was very good and so was After midnight. I do wish they would find a better venue then the atrium for game shows and other events. Its so difficult to hear or see whats going on.

Now I am concerned about the entertainment on MSC. Does MSC have game shows at night like love and marriage? Cirque is not my favorite. Its been done a thousand times. If I see another person hanging from a curtin or a hula hoop I will jump overboard lol.

Oh, I so agree. One can barely hear themselves think. :rolleyes:

I too would love the Haven to be a sanctuary retreat. The big reality is that most of the Haven suites are Two Bedroom Family Suites. The second bedroom is designed for children. (Although some people put a second couple in the small second bedroom.) When we travel NCL it is in the Haven (or suites if no Haven). That being said... I hope to never have unruly children or apathetic parents to deal with.

Our family really enjoys the 2-BR suites and were happy with them on both the Dawn (no Haven) and the Gem (there are 2-BR suites that are not in the Haven). However, if I want one of those suites on a newer ship my only option is to get a Haven room. I wish that they had continued to have non-Haven 2-BR suites as I don't particularly enjoy paying more money, and there would be many fewer kids in the Haven area.

And we cannot forget Million Dollar Quartet!!

Our family really enjoys the 2-BR suites and were happy with them on both the Dawn (no Haven) and the Gem (there are 2-BR suites that are not in the Haven). However, if I want one of those suites on a newer ship my only option is to get a Haven room. I wish that they had continued to have non-Haven 2-BR suites as I don't particularly enjoy paying more money, and there would be many fewer kids in the Haven area.

Interesting and to some extent explains the reported Haven/kid issues seeming to come from the megaship Havens and less so from the Jewels (based on my unscientific recollection of various posts).

Interesting and to some extent explains the reported Haven/kid issues seeming to come from the megaship Havens and less so from the Jewels (based on my unscientific memory).

I do not have kids but I do not blame kids for playing and being kids. Nor do I think kids should not be allowed to play. I would just like a time when I can enjoy it without them lol. I have also seen kids who are very well behaved. Kids will be kids its up to the parents to teach them manners.

I have been in the Jewel class Haven about 5 times I think. For the most part it has been very quiet. But a few times it had kids playing in the pool and because the area is so small there really is not a place to sit and not get splashed. Also because of the small space the sound is just amplified. At least in the bigger haven you can stay dry.

I do not have kids but I do not blame kids for playing and being kids. Nor do I think kids should not be allowed to play. I would just like a time when I can enjoy it without them lol. I have also seen kids who are very well behaved. Kids will be kids its up to the parents to teach them manners.

I have been in the Jewel class Haven about 5 times I think. For the most part it has been very quiet. But a few times it had kids playing in the pool and because the area is so small there really is not a place to sit and not get splashed. Also because of the small space the sound is just amplified. At least in the bigger haven you can stay dry.

I think the Haven Courtyard and Sundeck should be 12 years and older. If someone wants to book a 2 bedroom family suite with young kids, that's fine, but they shouldn't be allowed to take over the small courtyard. It'll never happen, though. NCL doesn't care. They keep selling so why change it?

And we cannot forget Million Dollar Quartet!!

That’s right......excellent!

Not going to argue, but nothing on Harmony of the Seas or MSC came remotely close to that show, or any other on NCL.

NCL isn’t perfect, but they do entertainment the best.

Edited by graphicguy

I am interested to see how Virgin Voyages and their adult only cruises affect the Haven. I think at first it won't matter but once Virgin grows and add more itinerary's it might. It will be interesting to see if Ncl decides to compete by going adult only in the Haven or probably the opposite and turn into even more of a day care.

I am interested to see how Virgin Voyages and their adult only cruises affect the Haven. I think at first it won't matter but once Virgin grows and add more itinerary's it might.

I don't see Virgin (or Viking) having much of an impact on NCL's Haven. The "adult only" market might show some interest but the limited capacity of those lines based on total number of ships and market share shouldn't really hurt NCL. MSC's Yacht Club is the biggest threat to NCL since MSC is building more ships in the next few years than Virgin's and Viking's fleets combined.

This post confuses me because I have been in the Haven several times (with my four children) and have never seen the Haven pool over-run by children. In fact, two of my kids are teens who have gone down to sit out by the main pool because they want to meet other kids and there are never any around in the Haven. Usually when we go into the Haven courtyard, the pools are empty and there is just a smattering of adults laying out. Is this not the norm?

This post confuses me because I have been in the Haven several times (with my four children) and have never seen the Haven pool over-run by children. In fact, two of my kids are teens who have gone down to sit out by the main pool because they want to meet other kids and there are never any around in the Haven. Usually when we go into the Haven courtyard, the pools are empty and there is just a smattering of adults laying out. Is this not the norm?

It is going to be hit or miss and you won't know until you get on board. As I said earlier on the mega-ships, we sailed BA during prime spring break time and there were a few younger kids but never any issues. We were expecting it based on the occasional reviews talking about the chaos.

We went on Escape a few weeks back and it was kids everywhere. I can't say they were really unruly but just that the place isn't conducive to sound and with a bunch of kids in the tiny pool it is no longer of any interest. Plus there was some type of "incident" the last day to close the pool and shallow area completely to all Haven guests.

I'll add that our one thus far MSC YC experience also had kids and they had one extended family with a mother we called Octomom. She was letting her diapered kids in the pools, run amok pretty much anywhere on the ship.

YC was great but if you happened to run into that group it was immediately best to just go somewhere else.

Funny thing was the last day they where in the lounge swearing and complaining how bad everything was.

Your experience matches the experience of most Haven guests (myself, included) but.......

...if someone's experience was ruined by "out of control" children, there will likely be a post about it and any others who have had their experience ruined will likely post about their experience. By far, the vast majority of Haven guests are repeat guests or will be repeat guests after their first experience. The popularity of the "ship within a ship" concept continues to grow because even with the higher prices, most people have a fantastic time.

Those who have had a bad experience are more "vocal" but those who have had a great experience speak by continuing to book suites on NCL. There is growing competition and NCL's continuing insistence of raising Haven prices while offering less (plus, the bid process) is hurting NCL's Haven more than the occasional misbehaved child/children.