Tears from Haven

shaun07

Notnewtoit, I think we were separated at birth! You just described me and my husband... down to the Jeep, except ours is a cracked side view mirror and dented front fender... both from that damn garage that keeps moving when we back out... 🚙 😂

Ha! It is possible... my Dad was a bit 'errant'! :cool:

I'm interested to hear what people say about YC on MSC because it doesn't appear that there is a room big enough for a family of five within it. They have a family room that is two balconies connecting, but that's not in YC.

If looking at Seaside, there a some Yacht Club Deluxe Suites that sleep 5.

For the price, it is sometimes better/less expensive to book 2 Deluxe Suites vs. a Haven H4.

I'm interested to hear what people say about YC on MSC because it doesn't appear that there is a room big enough for a family of five within it. They have a family room that is two balconies connecting, but that's not in YC.

That is one of the things many cruising without children appreciate because that means less children in the YC!

We were in Haven on Escape in June 2017 and our concierge and entire staff in the Haven was amazing. Having the right team in place definitely impacts the experience. Both the Getaway and the Escape had awesome Havens in my view. And even though we went on school breaks both times, we didn't have issues with school age children. Our teenagers didn't even spend time in the Haven, they just went to the teen club. All the kids we saw were way more respectful than what I am reading about on this thread. The only thing that made me want to vomit was a toddler in the hot tub in a regular diaper:o and then with no diaper. I mentioned it to the concierge, but I think they don't know what to do in that situation.

We were just on Escape a few weeks back. Concierge didn't even say "hello" to us before Wednesday and others report same thing on subsequent trips. Sha and Ryan bartenders were great and butler was good enough. Francis in Haven restaurant was great.

Last day something happened from people talking as the pool and water area for loungers was closed off rest of the trip.

See TWO's post - that is what we do is book two rooms on MSC. Seaside YC does have rooms for five but they are only a bit bigger than NCL mini. Plus MSC doesn't discount kids as much typically so it often isn't that much more - we have one upcoming trip in a deluxe and a YIN.

Kids definitely are an issue but one that I do not see changing anytime soon. So kids aside I still think the Haven is not what it used to be in terms of bang for your buck. It used to be. Now its ballooned in price but your not really getting more for it. Ncl needs to up their game. They set the bar with the Haven but that bar has been passed. I think thats the main issue for me. If they are going to charge me more then give me more. The Haven used to feel exclusive now I just fell ripped off.

As a business owner, I fully understand the concept of people going online to complain more often than praise. But this is a little different. NCL recognized the problem is bad enough that they kicked kids off the sundeck in the Haven recently. They weren't doing that on our sailing. It's an issue, a growing issue. Multi bedroom units with "3rd and 4th" (KIDS!) sail free. It's a built in issue. Maybe not on Jewel class, but definitely on Escape.

All that aside, if you are looking to book your yearly or whatever vacation, paying extra for that special Haven experience, what percentage of cruisers would want to play the "day care lotto"? Why would someone book this experience when there is a seemingly large chance of it being a disappointment due to kids ruining the tranquility of the product you bought? Who would want to knowingly do this when there are other, better options available?

Exactly. Perhaps they need to change it to an adult only section of the ship. We are not old yet we are empty nesters. We sail for the get-away experience and if we are going to pay for an upgrade marketed like the Haven..we'd expect it to be tranquil and as described.

Summer sailings are going to be problematic on all ships with the kids out of school. Have read about sailings where there are 1500+ kids on board! ;p;p;p;p

Exactly. Perhaps they need to change it to an adult only section of the ship. We are not old yet we are empty nesters. We sail for the get-away experience and if we are going to pay for an upgrade marketed like the Haven..we'd expect it to be tranquil and as described.

Summer sailings are going to be problematic on all ships with the kids out of school. Have read about sailings where there are 1500+ kids on board! ;p;p;p;p

Can't sell it as adult only. They would never fill all those 2 bedroom family suites! I think the courtyard should be limited to children 12 and older, but that won't happen, either. Seems MSC does a better job with the concept based on the comments from cruisers who have done both. After sailing the Haven, personally, the perks weren't good enough to justify the premium they charge. I'd rather sail a regular balcony cabin on Symphony and enjoy the adults only solarium which is a better product than the Haven courtyard anyways.

Can't sell it as adult only. They would never fill all those 2 bedroom family suites! I think the courtyard should be limited to children 12 and older, but that won't happen, either. Seems MSC does a better job with the concept based on the comments from cruisers who have done both. After sailing the Haven, personally, the perks weren't good enough to justify the premium they charge. I'd rather sail a regular balcony cabin on Symphony and enjoy the adults only solarium which is a better product than the Haven courtyard anyways.

Hmmm, making me think about canceling my bid to upgrade to the Haven. Maybe I should save the extra money and apply it to a MSC cruise next year ;)

Hmmm, making me think about canceling my bid to upgrade to the Haven. Maybe I should save the extra money and apply it to a MSC cruise next year ;)

If the price is right, Haven is worth it I think. And it also depends on the experience that excites you! Everyone values it differently and it may be perfect for you at the prices they charge. Everyone keeps talking about msc yacht club and how inexpensive and better it is compared to haven. I have no idea as I've never sailed msc but it's intriguing.

If the price is right, Haven is worth it I think. And it also depends on the experience that excites you! Everyone values it differently and it may be perfect for you at the prices they charge. Everyone keeps talking about msc yacht club and how inexpensive and better it is compared to haven. I have no idea as I've never sailed msc but it's intriguing.

I have never been on NCL yet (but leaving soon :D ) or MSC, but I kept hearing about the comparison. I just got my MSC catalogue in the mail yesterday so we shall see;)

I do not have kids but my wife and I usually book the 2 bedroom.

I will be in the Haven for the first time after RCCL's Star Class/Genie service when I am on Bliss next month. I am afraid that I will be heavily disappointed in NCL after their nickel and diming when everything is included in Star Class. We shall see.

I will be in the Haven for the first time after RCCL's Star Class/Genie service when I am on Bliss next month. I am afraid that I will be heavily disappointed in NCL after their nickel and diming when everything is included in Star Class. We shall see.

i did Star class last year. It has a lot to do with why I started this thread. Its miles ahead of the Haven.

I plan after this cruise in October to go back to the Windstar cruises. I like the smaller sailing yachts and do not need all the stimulation of the mega-ships. That's why I loved the Haven so much. We have only stayed in the Spa Haven Suites. I have enjoyed the entertainment on the Getaway however!

Edited by Seminole1975

We loved the deluxe owners suite in the Haven. With 4 in the room the cost PP while high, was doable for us. Attempted to use the Haven courtyard several times but it was over-run with children usually playing marco-polo. Our balcony was fantastic with our own hot tub so all was not lost albeit windy while under way.

We (two of us this time) are doing the Panama Canal full transit next February and opted for an aft penthouse. All the perks of a Haven Suite except the Haven courtyard which we didn't use except for the occasional M&M's.

Have sailed the MSC YC twice (as a Black Card match)...first time on Divina out of FL and last year on the Meriviglia out of Barcelona. It is indeed a good product. Not quite as good as my Haven experiences, but good nonetheless.

Quality of the entertainment is a big difference. NCL has the best entertainment at sea. I've always been astounded about how good NCL really is regarding the entertainment on board. MSC isn't bad. They just have a different "take" on the entertainment (more operatic focused).

I've seen Vegas quality shows on my NCL cruises....one's that would cost $100/ticket in Vegas.

The other venues NCL has (like Howl at the Moon, Fat Cats, Headliners, 2nd City, etc) really have no equal on MSC.

Cabins in the YC are similar to suites in the Haven. Haven has an outdoor area to hang out. YC does not, but the YC itself is quite nice and larger than the bar area in the Haven.

Haven restaurant and Le Muse in the YC are both quite good.

At one point, there was a fairly big delta in price between Haven and YC. Just looked at taking a cruise in Sept this year, and that price difference has narrowed. YC is around $4K for a suite. For a Haven Spa Suite (which includes the jacuzzi in the cabin and free access to the Spa) it's about $4,500. But, NCL throws in 3 specialty restaurants (all of them very good), $400 OBC, drinks (now MSC is throwing in drinks, too), $50 per excursion credit, and 250 minutes of internet. That tilts it back to NCL Haven.

I'll sail MSC YC again. They are really attacking the North American market, and are the equal of any of the huge ships sailing from any cruise line.

The good news, I have a great TA. She will throw in an additional $350 in OBC (which she says she can't do with MSC because there's not enough margin to do so), and AMEX Platinum will throw in another $300 of OBC, too. Plus, they will give me a free specialty restaurant. Being Platinum, NCL gives me two specialty restaurants. The rest of my meals we'll eat in the Haven restaurant, which is outstanding. That's $1050 of OBC, which really sweetens the deal for NCL.

Apparently, Platinum AMEX does not offer any OBC with MSC.

Looked at the same dates for RCCL in a similar Star suite experience. They were about $1,000 higher than either MSC YC or NCL Haven. Celebrity Suites are even more expensive

Carnival really has nothing similar to compete.

Can't comment about kids. I've never experienced any kids overrunning any of my YC or Haven cruises.

You won't be disappointed in any of these categories. The cruise companies do their suite categories very well and know how to give over the top service. NCL seems to do it best, though.

Haven has an outdoor area to hang out. YC does not, but the YC itself is quite nice and larger than the bar area in the Haven.

Which MSC ships have you been sailing? I know for a fact that Seaside and Divina have a lovely pool deck just for YC with an outdoor grill and bar.

(now MSC is throwing in drinks, too),

MSC has always included their top tier drink package for YC guests, and it's far more inclusive than NCL's drink package (bottled water, specialty coffees, basically anything you can drink, plus gelato and crepes).

Another incentive for the YC is that their restaurant menu changes daily.

I've sailed Divina and Meriviglia. The liquors in their drink package was much more limited than what I've experienced with NCL.

We didn't go to the Divina YC pool area much given the lack of ANY shade for the loungers. Have not been on the Seaside.

We loved the deluxe owners suite in the Haven. With 4 in the room the cost PP while high, was doable for us. Attempted to use the Haven courtyard several times but it was over-run with children usually playing marco-polo. Our balcony was fantastic with our own hot tub so all was not lost albeit windy while under way.

We (two of us this time) are doing the Panama Canal full transit next February and opted for an aft penthouse. All the perks of a Haven Suite except the Haven courtyard which we didn't use except for the occasional M&M's.

Loved the AFT penthouse for the Panama, morning coffee watching the canal & being amazed at the line of traffic driving over the canal gate (new locks)

If you are stopping in Puerto Vallarta, on a mega ship, watch the Captain back into the port from your balcony

Another incentive for the YC is that their restaurant menu changes daily.

Right?! Coastal Kitchen changes, too. I thought it was ridiculous that the Haven restaurant didn't change their small menu throughout the entire cruise. Even breakfast we would go to the buffet just for something a little different.

Quality of the entertainment is a big difference. NCL has the best entertainment at sea. I've always been astounded about how good NCL really is regarding the entertainment on board. MSC isn't bad. They just have a different "take" on the entertainment (more operatic focused).

I've seen Vegas quality shows on my NCL cruises....one's that would cost $100/ticket in Vegas.

The other venues NCL has (like Howl at the Moon, Fat Cats, Headliners, 2nd City, etc) really have no equal on MSC.

And this is why we would prefer NCL or even RCI to MSC or Oceania or other similar luxury lines. We are empty nesters too but we're not yet relegated to the early bird dinner and bed at 8 set.

I plan after this cruise in October to go back to the Windstar cruises. I like the smaller sailing yachts and do not need all the stimulation of the mega-ships. That's why I loved the Haven so much. We have only stayed in the Spa Haven Suites. I have enjoyed the entertainment on the Getaway however!

I 100% agree. We have always enjoyed our stays in the Haven and are very much looking forward to our trip on the Escape in September. That said, we have bit the bullet and decided to try a luxury line for 2020 . . . a 14-night on the Seabourn Odyssey. I guess we'll see if the grass really is greener, but so far Seabourn has already lapped NCL! I am 0 for 3 in getting the shoreside concierge to even respond to me (never happened before) for our Sept cruise... not a huge deal, but I like to get the liquor selections and the pillows and such taken care of before we board. I mean, they haven't even sent out the auto generated email with the preference sheet.

My Seabourn cruise is not for another year and a half and they have already reached out to me to start to arrange my preferences.