Complimentary internet for Elite members

stardelight

Actually no ship is an Ocean Medallion ship as of now

Regal Princess continues to have future cruises that were billed as "Ocean Medallion" re-classified as "Ocean Medallion Preview" sailings.

And the ships that were to be next in line for Ocean Medallion (Caribbean, Island, Golden, Royal) have all the backroom technology installed but are neither billing future sailings as under Medallion nor offering the new tiered "Unlimited" internet plans yet. Only Grand and Coral are--plus the report that those with future bookings on Emerald are seeing in their Personalizer still different plans with yet another new "name" for them (not Medallion Net).

So the absence of information about the future of the Medallion program continues to multiply. Perhaps they are waiting for Arnold Donald (chairman of Carnival Corp for whom Medallion was meant to be a defining move--and who decided that Princess would be the first guinea pig) to wave the white flag and resign before admitting the future is in doubt.

So, on the Regal in March we had unlimited internet (we are elite in the Princess world, if that matters), for one device. Is that the new internet for when Medallion is rolled out, or are they only doing that because they are having all kinds of issues with the program/technology and are offering it to passify guests, and once it's fully rolled out, it will go back to the limited minute plan for everyone?

I'll be disappointed if it's the latter. Really enjoyed having unlimited internet, watched TV via my home DVR in my room.

So, on the Regal in March we had unlimited internet (we are elite in the Princess world, if that matters), for one device. Is that the new internet for when Medallion is rolled out, or are they only doing that because they are having all kinds of issues with the program/technology and are offering it to passify guests, and once it's fully rolled out, it will go back to the limited minute plan for everyone?

I'll be disappointed if it's the latter. Really enjoyed having unlimited internet, watched TV via my home DVR in my room.

The cruise personlizer for our February Emerald voyage has the 3 Princess Connect options, Social, Surf and Premium, for sale. There are also minutes for sale just like it has been. Somewhere on this CC site I remember a posting of a screen shot from the Grand where the free minutes were like they were in the past and the Princess Connect plans had a cost. I expect that the platinum benefit on most ships, at least for the next few years, will be the by the minute plan has it has been in the past.

Edited by sknight

• 8 months later...

We just finished the 49 night South America on the Royal and we had unlimited internet for the whole cruise. We did purchase a package for one device from home and were pleasantly surprised that it had been upgraded to unlimited once on board. DH just used his 500 Platinum minutes if I was using mine. It worked really well except for a few days in the Southern Hemisphere. It is by far the fastest internet I have ever experienced on a ship. However there were technicians on board installing all the medallions, so that could have hampered the service too. Our door worked  perfectly with the new medallions and the phone app worked well too. All of the options were not up and running yet though, like the games etc., but we didn’t care. 

• Like 1