City of Galveston/Royal Caribbean

Another Galveston Daily News Comment : ....

The Port of Galveston may find itself with a third cruise terminal — along with a much needed economic shot in the arm — without having to lay out a large sum of cash up front or make significant commitment to debt to fund the project.

“Right now, the talk is about having Royal Caribbean come in and build the terminal themselves,” Port Director Roger Rees recently told a Daily News reporter. “Then we’d have them lease the land from the port, sharing in revenues with them. We’d control the parking aspect of it.”

Projections for the third terminal at the Port of Galveston point to a cost of about $85 million.

The interesting aspect about this proposal is that the port, which has struggled for years without enough cash for many capital improvements, will be leasing land to the cruise line.

The heavy capital investment for the facility would come from the cruise line, while a smaller investment in a new parking facility would come from the port.

If successful, this concept would allow the port to invest its limited free capital into other much needed infrastructure needs, of which there are many.

The driving factor in this project is to allow the port to welcome Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class of ship in the fall of 2020. These Oasis-class ships, of which there are four with more planned, are more than 1,180 feet long and capable of carrying more than 6,200 passengers. Cruise ships currently serving the port average between 3,000 and 4,000 passengers.

The very larger Oasis-class vessels require special services and infrastructure at the ports servicing them. The proposed facility at Pier 10 in Galveston would need to be in the 155,000-square-foot range. Currently cruise ships occupy piers 25 and 27.

Galveston is the fourth-largest cruising port in the nation. The port generated $37.5 million in revenues — making it a significant economic engine for the community in 2018. The flip side is the port also carried roughly $37.2 million in expenses in 2018 — eking out a meager $250,000 or so of free cash flow, hardly a significant sum allowing for investment or taking on project debt toward expensive improvements.

The port needs to grow in both capacity and quality. And by creatively finding a way to bring much needed infrastructure improvements without incurring heavy debt service, the port will be better positioned to serve both current and prospective clients. If this plays out as initially discussed, it would be good for Galveston and is certainly an idea worthy of serious consideration.

• Leonard Woolsey

Leonard Woolsey: 409-683-5207; leonard.woolsey@galvnews.com

If you want to play, you need to pay. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you want to play, you need to pay. [emoji6]

Presently 6 ships home port in Galveston. Royal wants to play and keep up, or they will fall behind with the competition! Carnival already has three ships full time in Galveston . Carnival is bringing in the largest and newest in the fleet along with another larger to replace. So in order for Royal to compete in the desirable marketplace, Royal is paying with a commitment, and bringing in Royal's one of their largest ship and possible one of newest Oasis Class ship also! Royal is paying all over the world with different variations of financial commitments in the home and destination ports. Galveston is no different, if Royal wants to be in Galveston .

Edited by ssb

For what it’s worth, I’ll put my$0.02 on it being Oasis.

Symphony isn’t leaving Miami .

Allure is probably going to Europe for 2020 due to its dry dock.

Harmony moving to PC, and at this point prices are high.

Oasis goes to Miami late 2019. Could move it after Allure comes back from Europe and still have 3 Oasis class in 3 different Florida ports.

mac_tlc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Symphony is one of possibilities in the rumor mill on the street .

Symphony is one of possibilities in the rumor mill on the street .
No effing way will Symphony leave the brand new terminal in Miami.

I'd guess that Allure might be the ship when she returns to US in fall 2020.

Oasis needs a home in fall 2019. Galveston won't be ready. She'll likely go to Ft Lauderdale.

No effing way will Symphony leave the brand new terminal in Miami.

I'd guess that Allure might be the ship when she returns to US in fall 2020.

Oasis needs a home in fall 2019. Galveston won't be ready.

Time will tell, everything is only as good as the tendency's of today. 2020 is in Galveston cards dealt as of today! . All is subject to change !

I hope Celebrity (sister Line to RCL) comes back to Galveston and do the 10 nights to Panama.

Getting celebrity and getting some longer cruises would be great, currently I am. In now rush to return to Galveston even though we live in Texas , my cruises this and next year are out of Florida .

Some people told me not to cruise out of Galveston because of the

distance from airport, possible fog delays in winter, and a few other

details.

Adding 6,000 more pax won't help logistics. I'll wait and see.

Some people told me not to cruise out of Galveston because of the

distance from airport, possible fog delays in winter, and a few other

details.

Adding 6,000 more pax won't help logistics. I'll wait and see.

That’s good thinking [emoji848]

It will be interesting to see if they move a Celebrity ship to the current port and an Oasis ship to the new one. We prefer Freedom/Voyager class but would certainly do an Oasis class out of Galveston.

I would think they would use the new terminal rent free just a different day

I would think they would use the new terminal rent free just a different day

Would the arrival of Allure mean the departure of Liberty? Kind of what happened in PC.

FWIW, PC still does not have a Saturday tenant. It's been almost 4 years now.

Would the arrival of Allure mean the departure of Liberty? Kind of what happened in PC.

FWIW, PC still does not have a Saturday tenant. It's been almost 4 years now.

Fair question of any of the Oasis Class Ships .

Guess it would depend on supply and demand in marketplace .

And where Royal wants to be and how to compete in Galveston with others lines.

l.

We love cruising out of Galveston but need different ports. After 2020, maybe the Allure/Oasis can switch 10 nights to Aruba & Barbados with 4 nighters to Cozumel & back. Or the Liberty can do the long/short & Allure can do the typical 7. Either way, you can get to Houston from Dallas in 90 minutes on the new bullet train starting in 2026 hopefully!

We love cruising out of Galveston but need different ports. After 2020, maybe the Allure/Oasis can switch 10 nights to Aruba & Barbados with 4 nighters to Cozumel & back. Or the Liberty can do the long/short & Allure can do the typical 7. Either way, you can get to Houston from Dallas in 90 minutes on the new bullet train starting in 2026 hopefully!
That's a lifetime from now

1 major correction!!!!!!!!!! This is not a highway PROJECT. It is a highway CAREER. you are born, graduate high school, get a job with one of the contractors, retire 30 years later, your son takes your job and cannot wait to hand off his position to his son....

1 major correction!!!!!!!!!! This is not a highway project. It is a highway career. You are born, graduate high school, get a job with one of the contractors, retire 30 years later, your son takes your job and cannot wait to hand off his position to his son....

amen!!!

Is the current terminal owned by Royal? If not, then it might mean some of the other lines may take it over. Princess and NCL used to be in the Port of Houston, but because of the trouble getting out of that port (very shallow), and the fact that the terms to lure them there expired, they left this area. It would be nice to have a couple more lines out of Galveston for more competition.

Is the current terminal owned by Royal? If not, then it might mean some of the other lines may take it over. Princess and NCL used to be in the Port of Houston, but because of the trouble getting out of that port (very shallow), and the fact that the terms to lure them there expired, they left this area. It would be nice to have a couple more lines out of Galveston for more competition.

Port of Galveston