City of Galveston/Royal Caribbean

You guys can point out all the flaws you want with cruising out of Galveston. But in reality, none of them really matter. All of the ships that sail out of Galveston, RCL & Carnival each sail full. And the fact there is a thread discussing the addition of another one, a bigger one, is telling of itself.
Interesting, gulf coast departures generally are some of the lowest fares in the fleet. I hope to sail Liberty next year or at least 2020

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know Curtis, he was being fecitious and trying to be amusing...not rude. Tug is never rude. He's just a good ole boy!

Hey Tug!

+1. Curtis is the epitome of the friendly Texan.:)

Anybody fly into Hobby and use Royal's 'Air to Sea' program?

We used that in San Juan...Royal corrals you at airport, loads

bags into a truck. Trucks your stuff, and you to ship.

I'd do that..worked great..think it was $36 and they guarantee

you get aboard ship...or get you to next port on their nickel.

I think the rental car issue stopped us since we would fly in.

We drove it many times when we lived in Colorado. (all cruises before 2016, that were out of Galveston which is 4) This is not a hard drive, I-45 goes all the way in to Galveston so not sure why there would be many lost, and really not sure why the need to be so rude.

If you feel I was rude I am sorry just the facts Galveston doesn’t have a rental car companies open Sunday.

So getting to the port you can drive,take a shuttle or a bus.

I-45 is always under construction where they are working changes every month or so.

That freeway has a larger number of accidents causes speed, or people they didn’t know the road conditions.

I hope with all this conversation that anybody that drives now will slowdown when driving I-45 between Houston and Galveston.

Please enjoy your cruise

It’s hell to get old.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting, gulf coast departures generally are some of the lowest fares in the fleet. I hope to sail Liberty next year or at least 2020

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JOHN the invite still stands come on down and leave the driving to me.

If you feel I was rude I am sorry just the facts Galveston doesn’t have a rental car companies open Sunday.

So getting to the port you can drive,take a shuttle or a bus.

I-45 is always under construction where they are working changes every month or so.

That freeway has a larger number of accidents causes speed, or people they didn’t know the road conditions.

I hope with all this conversation that anybody that drives now will slowdown when driving I-45 between Houston and Galveston.

Please enjoy your cruise

It’s hell to get old.

FYI

Per Enterprise Galveston Website

Hours :

Sunday8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Monday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMTuesday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMWednesday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMThursday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMFriday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMSaturday8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

FYI

Per Enterprise Galveston Website

Hours :

Sunday8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Monday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMTuesday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMWednesday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMThursday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMFriday7:30 AM - 6:00 PMSaturday8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Have you ever got a quote for a one way rental from enterprise to the island.

Once I tried and they said no. Another time I tried and they quoted a drop off fee of around $100.

With all do respect,

I am just correcting the statement, maybe out of context,

but for others , that may need local Galveston rental service on Sunday for whatever need ;

and for others that are willing to pay the pricing for what ever reason .

To quote:

" Galveston doesn’t have a rental car companies open Sunday " is an incorrect statement.

Edited by ssb

With all do respect,

I am just correcting the statement, maybe out of context,

but for others , that may need local Galveston rental service on Sunday for whatever need ;

and for others that are willing to pay the pricing for what ever reason .

To quote:

" Galveston doesn’t have a rental car companies open Sunday " is an incorrect statement.

Of course that’s why most passengers folk to book all those cars.

From Hobby to Galveston has improved dramatically. The widening or the addition of 3 lanes in each direction is about 90% complete.

Now from Bush Intercontinental... lookout. From the airport to DT isn't too bad but from DT to Hobby area, wowza. It's really backed up pretty much all day.

Personally speaking, I would not rent a car. I would take the shuttle and/or a Uber/Lyft. But that's me. Speaking of ride share, both Uber and Lyft are operating in Galveston now as the state of Texas took the reins of regulation from all local municipalities.

With technology these days everyone driving should have a navigation app. The last several times we went down to Galveston we were either directed around downtown by taking the East Loop (610) or the Beltway (toll road).

With technology these days everyone driving should have a navigation app. The last several times we went down to Galveston we were either directed around downtown by taking the East Loop (610) or the Beltway (toll road).

The caveat is the east side of Houston around Beltway 8 has over twenty miles that is toll tag only, no cash, no toll bills mailed. The constables patrol the area and issue citations.

You can go online and set up a EZ-Tag Express account, with that requiring some advance planning.

Someone mentioned Celebrity. Celebrity Galaxy used to sail from Galveston, longer cruises, spectacular itineraries, great crews, great food, just flat out super. Their longer itineraries were wonderful but did not meet the demographics of passengers out of Galveston. Sadly, they pulled out of Galveston.

Whenever I read posts about longer cruises from Galveston, I flash back and recall the Celebrity efforts that were not successful.

I think the demographics of the Houston metro area are now vastly different from 10 years ago. I’ve been here 5 years and seen it change a lot. Hopefully they will give it consideration, now that we seem to be meeting the criteria for an Oasis class ship.

We love cruising out of Galveston but need different ports. After 2020, maybe the Allure/Oasis can switch 10 nights to Aruba & Barbados with 4 nighters to Cozumel & back. Or the Liberty can do the long/short & Allure can do the typical 7. Either way, you can get to Houston from Dallas in 90 minutes on the new bullet train starting in 2026 hopefully!

In the meantime do the Vision and Enchantment repositioning cruises to/from Galveston

for variations in itineraries.

Someone mentioned Celebrity. Celebrity Galaxy used to sail from Galveston, longer cruises, spectacular itineraries, great crews, great food, just flat out super. Their longer itineraries were wonderful but did not meet the demographics of passengers out of Galveston. Sadly, they pulled out of Galveston.

Whenever I read posts about longer cruises from Galveston, I flash back and recall the Celebrity efforts that were not successful.

Seriously? You're going to post that with data you pulled from the clouds? What are you talking about as far as demographics?

Celebrity was here for a short time. Those sailings were full at premium pricing. They had a window to bring one ship here with a long term contract in place for it after the Galveston run. They didn't "pull it out" based on demographics of Galveston.

Do you know Galveston has the greatest number of drive-up cruise passengers than any other port in the country? I'd love to see any link to substantiate your claim. Anything.

Here are the port statistics for cruise sailings:

2013 - 179

2014 - 181

2015 - 232

2016 - 235

2017 - 255

SMH...

Edited by BallFour4

• 4 weeks later...
Port officials nearing deal on third cruise terminal

GALVESTON

Port of Galveston officials are nearing an agreement with Royal Caribbean to build a third cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston that could cost $85 million and bring the world’s largest passenger ship to the island in 2020.

“We’re working toward a really good agreement,” said Ted O’Rourke, chairman of the port’s governing board. “It’s a great opportunity if we are able to put it together.”

This was more than a month ago, any updates ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
This was more than a month ago, any updates ?

Thanks

Captain on Liberty yesterday during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said it informally another time on this weeks Liberty cruise .

Captain on Liberty yesterday during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said it informally another time on this weeks Liberty cruise .

Thanks, ssb, hope you had a good cruise!

Why is Liberty leaving before summer, if the target for the new terminal and Oasis-class is Fall 2020?

Thanks, ssb, hope you had a good cruise!

Why is Liberty leaving before summer, if the target for the new terminal and Oasis-class is Fall 2020?

Good question. Guess RCL thinks they will have construction completed by then . I am aware of both spring and fall dates .