My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

You could probably skip the laptop unless you need it for something specific. You could also try packing all of these items and seeing how much room they take up. I have seen first aid kits that use pill organizers to hold over-the-counter meds so you don't have to bring whole bottles and boxes of each thing. Just remember to label all of the compartments! :-) I think everybody overpacks for their first cruise. Afterwards you will have a better idea of what you will really want and need. Good luck and have a great time. Don't let all of the gentle ribbing get you down. :-)

It all fits in a medium size suitcase and 2 carry-on bags. But they're heavy. Not over the airline weight limit. But heavy.

I probably went overboard my first cruise, too. And never got it right until I finally stopped listening to other people's ideas of what I did or didn't need.

Only they know what works for them and only I know what works for me. You will figure it out, too. Personally I don't think 1 medium size suitcase and 2 carry-on bags for 2 people is too much at all.

Furthermore, if everyone actually took the time to list out every single item they take, their list may well be this long. I know mine probably is. Heck, my first-aid kit has at least a dozen items and it's a pretty small kit. And I never take more than 1 medium size suitcase and 1 carry-on unless I don't have to fly. Then I might add 1 more small bag.

Take what you want. Take what makes you happy and what you're willing to carry. Or pay someone else to carry. For future cruises, make mental notes to subtract or add items. And have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

That's a great list. My mother and I went on our first cruise three years ago, after my father died. I researched and planned everything meticulously. You're right, it's good therapy.

On the meds: I take enough Dayquil and Nyquil for both of us for the length of the cruise. Same with Imodium and other meds for potential disasters. We haven't needed them yet, but I bear in mind that on a ship the OTC meds are limited and expensive and that if we both catch cold or something we'll be in a bad way. I take the blister packs out of the boxes and write the name across the back and put it all in one bag to save space.

On duct tape: Ignore the naysayers. On our first cruise, the only suggested item that I didn't bring was duct tape. And it turned out I really, really needed it. It's truly the most useful tool!

On clothes: We're both of the old elegant-cruise school. But I confess it would be easier of we can bring ourselves to do more mix-and-match next time and save some space. But! Have you heard about all the photo ops in the evenings? You can get dozens of portraits taken against various backdrops, and you can even book a photographer for private shoots. Then you have the fun of going through all the pictures and choosing the best. So you'll get some mileage out of dressing for dinner.

Tip: The portrait photographers don't show your shoes so wear some you can walk in. It's a long trek to dinner, especially on the Dream which is a maze.

Tip: They also have photos as you get off the ship at port, sometimes with costumed characters. More reason for pretty coverups and tshirts!

Confession: We always end up buying new clothes for the cruise. We also bring too much jewelry. Hasn't killed us yet (except for those fancy shoes -- I'm wearing sensible walking shoes with all my dinner outfits next time!)

OK, I only scanned the other responses. But.....

--One battery operated night light is enough in the bathroom, just so you don't kill yourselves in the bathroom Got it!

--Cruise lines frown on power strips. A simple extension cord will, however, get by the luggage police. These are essentially extension cords with multiple plug openings. They are not surge protectors. One for bathroom, one for cabin if there is an additional outlet there.

--Never needed an over-the door thingie for two people. It helped a bit for three women, but still was half-empty.... Cool. If I don't use it, I'll throw it into the box of stuff I'm collecting for when my daughter goes to live in a dorm.

--Dish soap? Why? Shampoo will cut grease pretty well....Just a tiny thing of dish soap for my Yeti and straws. I intend to carry that around the ship and around New Orleans. I want to be able to wash it with proper dish soap along the way.

--Why bother with door decoration? I got this months ago as a surprise for my sister. I love it.

--Did you have flashlights/torches on your list? Yes and no. Our cell phones have flashlight apps, and the fan I'm bringing has a flashlight function. So not a separate, single function flashlight, but I have the need covered in other ways. If not, think again. I've got reading lights (Mighty Bright - use common batteries) that clip on to books/kindles That sounds really handy, but my Kindle lights up so I don't need to bring a clip on lamp, have necks that bend and stay where you want them to, AND are perfect in-room flashlights. They are actually my go-to when the power goes out when we're at home!

-Use a suitcase under the bed, open, instead of a hamper. Tide for laundry? That must mean you plan on doing laundry on land, not as sea - they have special detergents for at sea I had no idea! Thanks for telling me. I'll take the detergent out of my bag and buy whatever detergent they sell on board.

-Sink stopper? The only time I'd do that if is I was afraid something would go down the drain (like old-school hard contact lenses)It just came as part of a travel laundry kit.

-Overkill on antispectic: iodine, cream, wipes. Just take some Neosporin or equivalent, and you're good Thanks. Have all of this in tiny quantities that came with a travel first aid kit, but I could look at narrowing down what I take from the kit.

-if you need gauze and tape, you possibly need the health services, too!

-and since you don't know if you're going to be sea-sick or not, I'd say no to patches (unpleasant side effects for many people). If in fear, take meclazine (Bonine, non-drowsy Dramamine, etc.) a few days before you leave at bedtime, and it will most likely be enough. My sister was terrified before the cruise we took that she'd be sick, due to a long history of car sick through her life, but I had her take a meclazine at bedtime a few nights before we left, and she was fine. Ginger would be the next level for me. Thanks for that advice. We really don't know what to expect.

- thermometer? you'll know if you're hot! Yes, it's a one-use, disposable thermometer that came as part of the first aid kit. It's extremely thin and light weight.

-we never use lanyards, so don't think they are absolutely necessary....Thanks. I don't know if we will either, we'll see!

- however, we've taken tons of trips when we didn't have nail clippers we needed, and have bought so many, they are all over the damned house now. Take the nail clippers.Ha! got it!

-and NO ONE cares whether you wear an outfit more than once. Really. For everyone else, it's not about you at all. If your clothes are not stained or stinky, you can wear them several times.....Agreed. We will be rewearing clothes. But I'm packing not for a 7 day cruise but for a 14 day vacation altogether. I need to clean my clothes along the way or pack more underwear than I even own! So some laundry is needed.

Thanks so much for taking the time for such a thoughtful response!

Oh my goodness. Are you taking a cruise to Venus or Mars?

Essentials in carry- on are cruise documents, prescription medications, cash and a change of clothes.

Essentials in checked luggage, casual clothes and a couple of dressier outfits, and toiletries.

One pair of beach shoes, one pair of dress shoes, and wear a pair of comfortable shoes to embark.

Leave room in the checked bag for souvenirs.

Happy (and relaxed) sailing.

Nope, cruise is to Western Caribbean. Thanks for the advice!

This might have been mentioned, but I personally prefer the highest SPF I can get in sunscreen products. The planning and anticipation are so much fun! Don't let any of us hurt your feelings. PS - it took me 10 cruises to get my overpacking under control --assuming it was OVER in the first place. Husb and I are older and now prefer lighter suitcases, for self debarcation, lifting into our vehicle, etc.

Thanks a bunch! I totally see why people think this is over the top. I get it. Under different circumstances, I probably wouldn't bring as much. I just have personal reasons for not minding being overprepared for this trip. I'm willing to carry it in order to have it. And it's really not as much as it seems when it's all written out. It fits in one medium sized suitcase and 2 carryon sized bags. They're heavy but I'm not worried about it. I'll get them where they need to be. :)

Hello from a fellow "extensive list-writer". I'm impressed by your medical kit list. We bring everything that you have listed here except the re-hydration salts. However, in addition to everything you have listed under your medical supplies, we also bring Similasan eye drops in case of dry or itchy eyes.

LOL Cheers! I'm glad I'm not alone in my apparently deep preparation for medical needs....

I agree with these statements 100%. I always write a huge "master packing list" that has everything under the sun on it. I always use it as a guide when packing for my cruise (and I have been on more than 20 cruises). I do not usually pack everything that is on the master list, but I have it as a template for what I think I might need. For a new cruiser such as the OP is, it may be better to have something and not need it, then to need something and not have it.

That's exactly how I feel about it. 100%. :)

• Like 1

You'll need a sherpa to handle all of this luggage. It really is overly excessive.

It really all fits in one medium sized suitcase and 2 carryon bags. They are heavy, but not above airline weight restrictions. I am flying Southwest, so I could theoretically pack one more full sized bag and bring it for free, but I don't need that much space. It looks like a lot when it's listed, but it's all very compact.

Just addressing the clothes and shoes mainly - unless you love to really dress up at night you are taking way too many clothes IMHO. I find many days I just change my shorts I’ve been wearing during the day into pants, capris, or skirt most nights. And if I take skirts it is something plain that I can wear with multiple tops. I never wear all I take and I take way less than you. I also would see if the hotel in NO has laundry and do it there the first night.

The dresses are more for the New Orleans part of the vacation than for the cruise. We have some nights out on the town that I want to dress for. Thanks for the idea about the hotel laundry and the packing advice. The clothes part is really just an estimate and what I packed in some bags to see what I had space for. That configuration may be streamlined when I actually pack.

You could probably skip the laptop unless you need it for something specific. You could also try packing all of these items and seeing how much room they take up. I have seen first aid kits that use pill organizers to hold over-the-counter meds so you don't have to bring whole bottles and boxes of each thing. Just remember to label all of the compartments! :-) I think everybody overpacks for their first cruise. Afterwards you will have a better idea of what you will really want and need. Good luck and have a great time. Don't let all of the gentle ribbing get you down. :-)

Thanks! I thought of bringing the laptop for the New Orleans portion of our vacation. I thought it would be much easier to have a keyboard when looking for information about the city during our stay there.

Thanks for the support lol

I probably went overboard my first cruise, too. And never got it right until I finally stopped listening to other people's ideas of what I did or didn't need.

Only they know what works for them and only I know what works for me. You will figure it out, too. Personally I don't think 1 medium size suitcase and 2 carry-on bags for 2 people is too much at all.

Furthermore, if everyone actually took the time to list out every single item they take, their list may well be this long. I know mine probably is. Heck, my first-aid kit has at least a dozen items and it's a pretty small kit. And I never take more than 1 medium size suitcase and 1 carry-on unless I don't have to fly. Then I might add 1 more small bag.

Take what you want. Take what makes you happy and what you're willing to carry. Or pay someone else to carry. For future cruises, make mental notes to subtract or add items. And have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks a million! :)

That's a great list. My mother and I went on our first cruise three years ago, after my father died. I researched and planned everything meticulously. You're right, it's good therapy. I'm so sorry that you lost your dad, too. <3

On the meds: I take enough Dayquil and Nyquil for both of us for the length of the cruise. Same with Imodium and other meds for potential disasters. We haven't needed them yet, but I bear in mind that on a ship the OTC meds are limited and expensive and that if we both catch cold or something we'll be in a bad way. I take the blister packs out of the boxes and write the name across the back and put it all in one bag to save space. I've done that, as well. The first aid kit is actually very compact for all that's in there.

On duct tape: Ignore the naysayers. On our first cruise, the only suggested item that I didn't bring was duct tape. And it turned out I really, really needed it. It's truly the most useful tool!Ha! I'm so glad to have a vote for the duct tape. I actually ordered some that has a mermaid tail pattern on it, so I am super psyched that it should stay on the list. :P

On clothes: We're both of the old elegant-cruise school. But I confess it would be easier of we can bring ourselves to do more mix-and-match next time and save some space. But! Have you heard about all the photo ops in the evenings? You can get dozens of portraits taken against various backdrops, and you can even book a photographer for private shoots. Then you have the fun of going through all the pictures and choosing the best. So you'll get some mileage out of dressing for dinner. I'm pretty shy about having my photo taken, but it might be worth it to get some portraits with my sister!

Tip: The portrait photographers don't show your shoes so wear some you can walk in. It's a long trek to dinner, especially on the Dream which is a maze. Great advice! Thanks!

Tip: They also have photos as you get off the ship at port, sometimes with costumed characters. More reason for pretty coverups and tshirts!

Confession: We always end up buying new clothes for the cruise. We also bring too much jewelry. Hasn't killed us yet (except for those fancy shoes -- I'm wearing sensible walking shoes with all my dinner outfits next time!)

Thanks so much for all the good advice! :)

No reason to take beach towels, the cruise ship supplies all you need and hotels also because they don't want you to take your bathroom towels. If you plan on doing laundry once - you don't need 3 pair of pj's.

No reason to take beach towels, the cruise ship supplies all you need and hotels also because they don't want you to take your bathroom towels. If you plan on doing laundry once - you don't need 3 pair of pj's.

Thanks for the advice. I like the microfiber towel because it's super compact and lightweight. I thought it might save a bunch of room in my bag and be lighter when leaving the ship on port days than carrying room towels. Maybe not a big enough difference to make it worth carrying the microfiber towel with me in my luggage. But when I transport the luggage to the ship, it will be on wheels. I have good luggage. When I transport whatever towel I'm bringing into port, it's all going to be on my back in my bag. So I might be prepared to add it to my luggage just to have it save me room and weight on my back on port days. I'll think about it. (y)

Totally willing to cut down to 2 pjs. :)

My prayers are with you, your sister and the rest of the family.

I think your list is fabulous! You have saved me so much time having to think of all the things I want to start out with on my list.

The only thing I would need to add for myself personally is saline nose wipes. If I get to an area that is humid and dry, or if I get a cold, I cant live without them at home. So if I would use them at home, I would want them with me on the cruise.

They are for kids (ok, Im a big kid) and are called ironically: Boogie wipes.

They are a saline tissue and are the best thing in the world when you are sneezing, coughing, or have any symptoms of the flu/cold. And when in dry, make your nose bleed weather.

Hope that helps.

Have a re-centering and grounding time on your trip. One if I was taking with one of my sisters, I would call: Stolen Moments!!

Roberta

My sympathies on the loss of your fathers<|3

While you have a few things listed that I wouldn't take, it didn't seem like too much - especially for two weeks;)

A few things I don't remember seeing:

• Sea Bands - no side effects, don't take up much space
  • Large (2 gallon or bigger) zip-loc bags for wet suits/sandy shoes so you don't mess up your other luggage
  • Feminine Hygiene Products:o (if you get surprised, you will want your own brand)
  • UTI symptom reliever - probably won't need, but they do have OTC meds now that can help if you do get one

I think the small roll of TP is a good idea, especially for Mardi Gras the restrooms might be overused and short on supplies. I think you said you are going to Western Caribbean. Much of that area does not allow flushing of TP, so if you are carrying facial tissues and the restroom doesn't have TP you could use tissues instead since throwing in garbage and won't clog toilets.

For the most part, soap is soap. I'd be fine using hand soap for dishes, or have a small container of dish soap that also doubles as hand soap - either could be used for hand washing laundry too. Laundry pods travel well - I'd keep in a small container in case of puncture - or if you can find 3-in-1 washer sheets those might be ideal (most of my clothes can't use fabric softener so I don't use them but have heard them suggested).

I hope you have a great trip:cool:

My prayers are with you, your sister and the rest of the family.

I think your list is fabulous! You have saved me so much time having to think of all the things I want to start out with on my list.

The only thing I would need to add for myself personally is saline nose wipes. If I get to an area that is humid and dry, or if I get a cold, I cant live without them at home. So if I would use them at home, I would want them with me on the cruise.

They are for kids (ok, Im a big kid) and are called ironically: Boogie wipes.

They are a saline tissue and are the best thing in the world when you are sneezing, coughing, or have any symptoms of the flu/cold. And when in dry, make your nose bleed weather.

Hope that helps.

Have a re-centering and grounding time on your trip. One if I was taking with one of my sisters, I would call: Stolen Moments!!

Roberta

Thanks for your kindness, Roberta! I'll be on the lookout for boogie wipes lol!

My sympathies on the loss of your fathers<|3

While you have a few things listed that I wouldn't take, it didn't seem like too much - especially for two weeks;)

A few things I don't remember seeing:

• Sea Bands - no side effects, don't take up much space I do have a set of sea bands in the med kit. I guess I forgot to list them.
  • Large (2 gallon or bigger) zip-loc bags for wet suits/sandy shoes so you don't mess up your other luggage Yes, I have ziploc bags, a dry bag, and shoe bags. :)
  • Feminine Hygiene Products:o (if you get surprised, you will want your own brand)Check! Didn't list it out for public consumption, but it's on the private list. ;)
  • UTI symptom reliever - probably won't need, but they do have OTC meds now that can help if you do get one That's good to know! I'll look into this!

I think the small roll of TP is a good idea, especially for Mardi Gras the restrooms might be overused and short on supplies. Thanks, I thought it was a good idea, too, and was surprised how blasted I got for it lol I think you said you are going to Western Caribbean. Much of that area does not allow flushing of TP, so if you are carrying facial tissues and the restroom doesn't have TP you could use tissues instead since throwing in garbage and won't clog toilets.

For the most part, soap is soap. I'd be fine using hand soap for dishes, or have a small container of dish soap that also doubles as hand soap - either could be used for hand washing laundry too. Laundry pods travel well - I'd keep in a small container in case of puncture - or if you can find 3-in-1 washer sheets those might be ideal (most of my clothes can't use fabric softener so I don't use them but have heard them suggested).

I hope you have a great trip:cool:

I appreciate all your feedback! Have a great day!

So sorry about your fathers' passings.

Since this is a special cruise for you & your sister, do take advantage and have your photos taken often. It's free to have them taken! You don't have to buy any of them if you don't like them, but the odds are you'll find at least one to help you remember what a great time you're going to have!

So sorry about your fathers' passings.

Since this is a special cruise for you & your sister, do take advantage and have your photos taken often. It's free to have them taken! You don't have to buy any of them if you don't like them, but the odds are you'll find at least one to help you remember what a great time you're going to have!

Thanks so much for your kindness and for this good advice! :)

Great list and extremely well-thought out. You likely will not use a lot of it, but how will you know until you actually cruise? As you will be the one schlepping the bags around, you should bring whatever you think you will need.

I lost both a brother and a BIL this year so I can relate to how you were able to relieve stress. I hope you continue to heal.

OP: You are not going into the wilderness. If you leave about 75% of that stuff at home you will be fine, and still have too much. If you were doing a car trip and staying in a hotel how much of that would you take. A cruise is not really any different.

My sister and I are taking our first cruise ever in February on the Carnival Dream. We're flying into New Orleans, staying overnight, then boarding the Dream for a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary. When the cruise ends we will be staying on in New Orleans for 6 extra days through Mardis Gras and on until Friday.

I find it a lot of fun to plan and organize, and I've sort of volunteered to take care of almost every detail in terms of what we need in the room so my sister can just show up and order a drink. :p:pSo to research what we'd need I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of cruise packing lists and suggestions and started pulling it all together.

I indulged in buying a bunch of packing cubes to help me bring order to the chaos and pack things meaningfully. I've shared below how I've organized different cubes. I'm storing a lot of this stuff already packed into the appropriate cubes so when the cruise gets here I can just move the cubes into suitcases, pack up some clothes and personal items, and hit the road.

I also included here some personal packing lists of things I'll want when I leave my cabin to go to the pool, the beach, a shore excursion, etc.

I intend to do laundry once on the ship, hopefully on the 5th day or later.

Would love to hear feedback if anyone thinks I've forgotten something! :)

Room Packing Cube

Nightlights

travel alarm clock

magnetic hooks

Magnetic clips

ziplock bags

power strips with USB ports

highlighter pens

pen

Sticky notes

rechargeable fan

Duct tape

Sewing Kit

Glasses repair kit

Poopouri toilet spray

mesh shower tote (to hang our stuff in in the shower and to carry it to the spa)

duct tape

Over the door organizer

dish soap

YETI/Straws

door decoration

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen

lock bag

wet bag

microfiber towel

waterproof phone case

beach towel chair straps

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags

Sanitizer wipes

Lens cloth

Laundry Packing Cube

Collapsible hamper

Tide for 3 regular washes

Tide for 3 sink washes

Dryer sheets

Bungee clothes line

Sink stopper

clothespins

Downy Wrinkle Releaser

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho

2 waterproof bags on belts

2 collapsible water bottles with carabiners

bug spray with DEET

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen

Collabsible tote bag

portable toilet paper

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

bandages

iodine

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol

tums

scissors

tweezers

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag

Cruise documents

Excursion documents

email confirming steakhouse reservation

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

Plane ticket info

Hotel(s) info

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc.

Travel insurance

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards

Travel partner's emergency numbers

Insurance card

Carryon Packing list

Passport

License

Credit cards

Important Documents folder

Phone and charger

Watch

Gum

Snacks

Medication

Pen and small notebook

Camera

Sunglasses

Dollar bills for tipping

Luggage IDs

Lanyard

Rain poncho if weather sketchy

headphones

PJs

Bathing suit and coverup

Outfit for boarding the ship

Lanyard

Camera

Kindle

remote charger(s) for phone

Personal toiletries

makeup

laptop

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor

Binoculars

Beach packing cube

towel

Toiletry bag

sandals

Toiletry bag

Shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

bath pouf

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

Clothes

Dinner outfits for 7 nights

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for 5 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and 2 coverups

underclothes

5 pairs socks

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion)

3 pairs pjs

Small hand bag

Sweater

4 tshirts

Excursion packing list

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

Don't pay any attention to negative responses, it is you and your sister's cruises. Have a great time on your cruise and at Mardi Gras. I think you have everything, maybe some more sunscreen especially if you and your sis have a fair complexion.

I'm sorry for your losses.