Ultimate Beverage Package vs. Unlimited Open Bar!

You can order martinis at any bar. The bar menus seem to be aligned with the theme of that bar, the bartenders don’t just make what is on the menu.

With regards to water the ships water is probably just as good or better than bottled. If in doubt find a British person and see if they have any spare bottles. I usually give my quota away. (Brits get a litre a day of bottled water as part of their fare)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enough with the bottled water. Bring an empty plastic water bottle with a filter and have any bartender fill it up for you. Then you've got double filtered water and you are not adding to the recycling that the ship does. I generally got a bartender to fill my bottle with half ice, half water.

With the UBP, I've only found one red wine that I considered drinkable, and that's the North-South NCL proprietary blend. I went to order that last week on the Sun with the Unlimited Open Bar and discovered that it is not included. In fact, the wine list was comprised of a list of generic titles like "Merlot" or "Malbec", so it was a total crapshoot trying to select a wine.

With the UBP, I've only found one red wine that I considered drinkable, and that's the North-South NCL proprietary blend. I went to order that last week on the Sun with the Unlimited Open Bar and discovered that it is not included. In fact, the wine list was comprised of a list of generic titles like "Merlot" or "Malbec", so it was a total crapshoot trying to select a wine.

That's how it looks from the list someone posted above. Totally generic, non-branded wine selections. Seems like they took a basic level beverage package and "thrifted" it.

I'll say that's weighing heavily in my decision on whether to book NCL or Celebrity. Celebrity is getting the nod so far, even at a higher cost per night

^^^^^^^

It would include anything under $15 glass. Anything over $15/glass you would just pay the difference.

I'm glad I'm just a plain ol' drink. I'll drink whatever they put in front of me and enjoy the hell of of it because I'm CRUISING and NOT WORKING.

Bill T

Ultimate beverage package implied its a high quality package. So they changed it to the unlimited open bar and cut some top brands out. The wine list is now pathetic just listing type of wines and since it's by the glass they don't have to show you the bottle and be embarrassed. I am a grey goose drinker and its gone from the list. I am sure they have reduced their costs but they are being short sighted. I can easily book with Celebrity and get top shelf drinks which by the way include water, specialty coffees etc..

Ultimate beverage package implied its a high quality package. So they changed it to the unlimited open bar and cut some top brands out. The wine list is now pathetic just listing type of wines and since it's by the glass they don't have to show you the bottle and be embarrassed. I am a grey goose drinker and its gone from the list. I am sure they have reduced their costs but they are being short sighted. I can easily book with Celebrity and get top shelf drinks which by the way include water, specialty coffees etc..

That's the way I'm seeing it. It's an unlimited package, but far from a premium package, and certainly "ultimate" was the ultimate misnomer. Seems like it's now the open bar at a cheap friend's wedding. Wine? Sure. Red or white?

Given that we usually cruise Celebrity, and utilize the upgrade to their premium package, it's not looking like NCL is for us.

I’m certainly no wine connoisseur, but I enjoy a glass or three.

My experience has not been that they just have generic types available on the UBP. As my favourite type of wine has not been available for a while, I tend to drink Merlot more often than not, and there has always been a couple available to choose from. One is, in my opinion, much more drinkable than the other, so I go for that one. I’ve always had the choice.

That was the case a couple of weeks ago, although it was on the POA, which isn’t really geared up for the beverage package, so maybe things have changed elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here with me. Have cruised Celebrity for the last eight and decided to give Norwegian a try. I am going in with an open mind and trying to not prejudge anything but its hard when you see things like this.

Don't mean to disappoint but if you have a beverage package, NCL beverage package is inferior from what your'e probably used to with Celebrity. If you are able to deal with no water bottles, no coffees, no specialty juices, no powerades, vitamin waters, etc. etc. Then you'll be good. :)

Don't mean to disappoint but if you have a beverage package, NCL beverage package is inferior from what your'e probably used to with Celebrity. If you are able to deal with no water bottles, no coffees, no specialty juices, no powerades, vitamin waters, etc. etc. Then you'll be good. :)

Yup. Good with that. Not really interested in any of that other stuff. Don't need no foo foo coffee or foo foo water.

Celebrity has two different drink packages, one is definitely limited....I just priced a cruise with them next Sept...you pay for it too, “cruise best” I think they call it. 4 perks...around $400 per person extra in the cabin. Nothing is free.

I have been very pleased with the $18 dollar package on NCL as far as alcohol goes.