NCL teen boarding

spielbank

I have a question that NCL customer service could not answer and I wonder if anyone here can help. I am traveling with teenagers ranging in age from 14-17. If we are shopping in port and the kids are with us but wish to return to the ship, are they allowed to return without a parent/guardian?

Thanks all!

Returning is likely more okay than leaving... we were stopped in a port getting off the ship, well DD was stopped, because we were in front of her in line and scanned out and started off and they held her asking who her parents were... we started putting her between us :cool:

Returning is likely more okay than leaving... we were stopped in a port getting off the ship, well DD was stopped, because we were in front of her in line and scanned out and started off and they held her asking who her parents were... we started putting her between us :cool:

Thanks. I had that happen on another cruise line with my son also:)

Yep, that happened to us, too, with our 15 year old this summer in Bermuda.

I have a question that NCL customer service could not answer and I wonder if anyone here can help. I am traveling with teenagers ranging in age from 14-17. If we are shopping in port and the kids are with us but wish to return to the ship, are they allowed to return without a parent/guardian?

Thanks all!

When our grand kids were still teens they often returned to the ship without us. I don't know if things have changed but I am guessing they have not.

Youth under the age of 16 do not require a government ID.

What, how did they get on the ship in the first place? They have to have something that proves they are who they say they are. They don't have to have a passport, you are right about that. I think they do have to have a school ID card or something like that. Maybe I am wrong about this, but in the past they had to have something. Otherwise how would the cruise line even know they were indeed citizens of whatever country.

What, how did they get on the ship in the first place? They have to have something that proves they are who they say they are. They don't have to have a passport, you are right about that. I think they do have to have a school ID card or something like that. Maybe I am wrong about this, but in the past they had to have something. Otherwise how would the cruise line even know they were indeed citizens of whatever country.

from the NCL website:

For Cruises Leaving From a U.S. Port to the Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid Passport

OR

Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued photo ID

• State certified U.S. birth certificate(Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.)
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

OR

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents (click here to for more information.)

*A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

Just to confirm, having sailed with 4 (I know...what was I thinking) teenagers: they cannot get off the boat with out an adult: Security would ask them what adult they were with as they scanned their cards to get off the boat. (This might have been different if we were doing an NCL excursion, I do not know). They can get back on the boat without an adult, and often did.

They can get back on the ship without an adult, just their sail and sign card no extra ID. The Sail and Sign card when scan has their picture appear on the screen. Only need ID when checking in at the beginning of the cruise.

You are wrong, as is shown in post 11, which quotes the language from NCL.

You are wrong, as is shown in post 11, which quotes the language from NCL.

that is why I made the comment, I might be wrong. This policy obviously has been changed in the past 5 years. I know there was a time when kids had to have something more than just the birth certificate. In fact it happened with one of my clients way back when and with our own grand children. Our grand children were allowed to use their school ID cards. My client was able to get a picture ID for his 2 boys. I think he to used a school ID if I remember right.

Thanks for clarifying this.

that is why I made the comment, I might be wrong. This policy obviously has been changed in the past 5 years. I know there was a time when kids had to have something more than just the birth certificate. In fact it happened with one of my clients way back when and with our own grand children. Our grand children were allowed to use their school ID cards. My client was able to get a picture ID for his 2 boys. I think he to used a school ID if I remember right.

Who has school ID cards?! Where I live, I've never even heard of this, and some are acting like they are a valid government ID. LOL! There are no school IDs around here.

Who has school ID cards?! Where I live, I've never even heard of this, and some are acting like they are a valid government ID. LOL! There are no school IDs around here.

I was giving that as an example. Of course not all schools do, but many, in some states still have them. As I mentioned, this was a few years ago. Obviously the policy has changed. As for valid, no it is not an official ID, but it is a second one when a birth certificate has also been provided.

I was giving that as an example. Of course not all schools do, but many, in some states still have them. As I mentioned, this was a few years ago. Obviously the policy has changed. As for valid, no it is not an official ID, but it is a second one when a birth certificate has also been provided.

That's ridiculous that NCL would accept that, even as a 2nd form. I can print up a "school ID" for you faster than I can type this.

The fact is, a 2nd ID is not needed for kids, so they can be handed a Gamestop priority card along with the birth certificate, and people can act like it was accepted as a 2nd ID, when in reality, it was simply handed right back to the parent just like a school ID would be. LOL!

We’ve been sailing NCL with our 5 children for 8 years, we’ve used just birth certificates before. Our schools have student ID’s starting in middle school (they get detention if they don’t have them displayed), but we’ve never brought them with us. Five years ago, my then 14 and 17 year olds disembarked the Breakaway in Nassau with their new best friends without us - oops.