Emerald: Any dry-dock coming up soon?

jeph

Just wanted to update my earlier question (about certain in-cabin hardware-- to which the answer was, "Not unless you're in a suite!"). I guess there must have been some relatively recent makeover to Emerald, or else Chef Stone's "Share" restaurant wouldn't be there...I'm just not sure how long ago that was.

I have a cruise booked leaving late Jan 2019. Does anyone know if the ship is due for a drydock or other "refresher" between now and then? And if that would include the in-cabin "movies on demand" feature available on some of the newer ships?

There is a gap in Emerald's schedule from March 29 to April 11, 2019 in Vancouver. Looks like a drydock to me.

SHARE is not a "recent" addition. Was added to Emerald and Ruby when they went to drydock back to back in 2015. Was supposed to be added to Coral Princess shortly after but was cancelled presumably to the (to put it mildly) very cool reception on the first two ships. So SHARE's time has more or less come and gone--no other ships outside of Aussie based Sun Princess have added it.

Unless there are new features being announced a drydock simply accomplishes the required below the waterline inspections plus sprucing up of soft furnishings in the constant-use public areas (ie flooring and chairs on Decks 5-7). The obsession over wanting one's next cruise to closely follow a ship's next drydock puzzles me no end.

I have a cruise booked leaving late Jan 2019. Does anyone know if the ship is due for a drydock or other "refresher" between now and then? And if that would include the in-cabin "movies on demand" feature available on some of the newer ships?

There are no gaps in the Emerald's schedule between now and January 2019, so no dry dock. The change of TV's and the installation of on-demand movies does not require a dry dock, It can be done while the ship has passengers on board. We experienced this on the Caribbean Princess this past winter. I personally don't know if and when the Emerald will get new TV's and movies on demand.

There is a gap in Emerald's schedule from March 29 to April 11, 2019 in Vancouver. Looks like a drydock to me.

SHARE is not a "recent" addition. Was added to Emerald and Ruby when they went to drydock back to back in 2015. Was supposed to be added to Coral Princess shortly after but was cancelled presumably to the (to put it mildly) very cool reception on the first two ships. So SHARE's time has more or less come and gone--no other ships outside of Aussie based Sun Princess have added it.

Unless there are new features being announced a drydock simply accomplishes the required below the waterline inspections plus sprucing up of soft furnishings in the constant-use public areas (ie flooring and chairs on Decks 5-7). The obsession over wanting one's next cruise to closely follow a ship's next drydock puzzles me no end.

Not at all obsessed, in my case-- I was just curious about the "movies on demand" feature, which is something I'd very much appreciated a few years back on Celebrity's MV Solstice.

Even without that, at least Princess provides a printed schedule of when and on which channel movies will show up on cabin TV's, as I recall...Other lines' failure to do that annoys me.

Not at all obsessed, in my case-- I was just curious about the "movies on demand" feature, which is something I'd very much appreciated a few years back on Celebrity's MV Solstice.

Even without that, at least Princess provides a printed schedule of when and on which channel movies will show up on cabin TV's, as I recall...Other lines' failure to do that annoys me.

Not any more. Another cost cutter cutback.

If I remember correctly, the "movies on demand" on Celebrity come with a charge. On Princess there is no cost. Also, on Princess you can pause a movie at any point and resume it any time you want.

If I remember correctly, the "movies on demand" on Celebrity come with a charge. On Princess there is no cost. Also, on Princess you can pause a movie at any point and resume it any time you want.

Is the movie on demand feature on any ship other than Royal Class. It is a nice feature for sea days or to start movie while waiting for DW to finish dressing

No charge was placed on our portfolios on the two Celebrity cruises we took on the Solstice class.

The obsession over wanting one's next cruise to closely follow a ship's next drydock puzzles me no end.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that I want a while to pass after dry dock so any issues with anything changed from dry dock can be worked out prior to me boarding.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that I want a while to pass after dry dock so any issues with anything changed from dry dock can be worked out prior to me boarding.

Agree with you there! :cool:

The Solstice cruise I took was in May of 2014-- there was no charge to get movies shown in your cabin at that time, with the exception of the latest releases. No idea if they're now charging for all of them.

Hard to believe Princess would eliminate the movie schedule guide-- it was one sheet of paper! One sheet, out of all the dozens that get delivered to your cabin in the course of a week...:(

It's on the Caribbean Princess.

They activated the On Demand on Caribbean Princess as it appears they plan to re-start designating future sailings as Ocean Medallion Preview. Only a bit over a year behind schedule.

I was on Island Princess and Golden Princess in May. Both ships were originally going to go Medallion (along with Caribbean) some time in 2018 or early 2019. And on both you could plainly see reflected in the mirror that the new large flat screens impinge on that there is a hot network cable as well as the coax cable connected to the back of the set. Meaning the technology for On Demand is in place on those ships. I guess whatever plans to go live on those and other ships got buried in the failure of the first ***** launch.

Edited by fishywood

Agree with you there! :cool:

The Solstice cruise I took was in May of 2014-- there was no charge to get movies shown in your cabin at that time, with the exception of the latest releases. No idea if they're now charging for all of them.

Hard to believe Princess would eliminate the movie schedule guide-- it was one sheet of paper! One sheet, out of all the dozens that get delivered to your cabin in the course of a week...:(

If I remember correctly (but not sure) never saw a printed movie schedule in the three years cruising with Princess but believe it might be posted in the patter.

If I remember correctly (but not sure) never saw a printed movie schedule in the three years cruising with Princess but believe it might be posted in the patter.

Very very intermittently I have seen a listing in the Patter than mentioned what channel the previous day's MUTS evening feature was being replayed on. But not the actual start times.

But on Island and Golden earlier this year the scrolling channel of TV listings was much more easily deciphered than I recall on previous cruises. Only have to watch it for a couple minutes to catch the start times of any first run movies available.