Recommended tip amount for Rome porters

I wouldn't tip any porter in Europe anything when they take our bags. They don't expect it and it's not expected to be given to them.

Each to there own but that's just not right most folks will drop luggage handlers a few euro we have always found them helpful and very pleased with a tip.

Etiquette.

I have never tipped porters. They are paid by a company to do their job.

Their job is to get my suitcase from my car to the ship. End of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes. Nice personality you have there.

Yes, you should tip them a few Euros.

• Like 1

That’s not abnormal.

It’s a typical British personality.

Nothing particularly wrong, just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a personality thing. It's to do with recognising and adhering to the customs within a country. Italy does not have a tipping culture. Yes they'll take it if you give it but they don't expect it and may well smirk behind your back at the US custom of throwing money around - I've seen it happen .

There was a very 'lively' debate on tipping in Italy on the Italy board recently https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2500965&highlight=tipping

Thanks for making unnecessary comments on my personality.

It is called “when in Rome”. Tips are not expected.

On board “when in America” tips are expected and I always pay in full and give extra when deserved.

Different environments, behaviour and cultures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the customary tip to give to the porters at the Civitavecchia cruise port? I have absolutely no idea, so all opinions and advice are welcomed :)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The same as in the USA. The porters which are the people you had luggage to when getting on a ship, are usually employees of the docks, and not the ship. They are not "tipped" employees and tipping, just like in the USA, is not needed, or expected. Most people over tip everyone they see. In Amsterdam, and in Asia, I can't recall seeing anyone tipping those employees.

Thank you everyone for your input! Tipping is something I definitely find confusing and unclear. Can’t seem to get a clear cut answer in Italy or in Spain... We’re going to tip the porter just in case...he’s the guy making sure our suitcases get onboard [emoji28]

Thank you everyone for your input! Tipping is something I definitely find confusing and unclear. Can’t seem to get a clear cut answer in Italy or in Spain... We’re going to tip the porter just in case...he’s the guy making sure our suitcases get onboard [emoji28]

I've never tipped the porters at the pier in Civitavecchia. They just take your luggage and load it onto a large trolley cart to be forklifted onto the ship. They're paid to do that. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy with peace of mind, go ahead and give them a tip.

Re-read the "no need to tip" comments in posts #2, #4, #7 and #9...???:confused:

Re-read the "no need to tip" comments in posts #2, #4, #7 and #9...???:confused:

I think the problem in this thread is that there’s an argument between Americans and Brits (of which I am neither) based on their own culture’s habits and perspectives, which are completely opposite and clear. However, when I was in Spain I couldn’t get a clear answer from locals: No tips. Yes, just round up, yes, ten percent. Everyone said something else and it was irritating. Same for Italy - while researching Italian website ms they say tipping isn’t customary, but sometimes it’s expected. So how am I supposed to know? As I said, locals haven’t provided me with a clear cut answer.

So, then, you tip the guy at the end of the jetway at the airport who does the same thing with gate checked luggage?

No one is tipping that guy...When I board a ship in the US I’m aware of the fact that locals are tipping the porter, wether I think it’s necessary or not. It’s my choice what to do with that knowledge. I choose to spend the extra money so as not to tick off the guy handling my luggage. Now, clearly from the answers here there’s a split between Americans and Brits. I don’t know what the porters are expecting and would rather be a cautious fool than make the dude angry.

No one is tipping that guy...When I board a ship in the US I’m aware of the fact that locals are tipping the porter, wether I think it’s necessary or not. It’s my choice what to do with that knowledge. I choose to spend the extra money so as not to tick off the guy handling my luggage. Now, clearly from the answers here there’s a split between Americans and Brits. I don’t know what the porters are expecting and would rather be a cautious fool than make the dude angry.

Given the preponderance of North Americans on these forums and the tipping culture in North America, you will always get a highly skewed answer to tipping or not.

Much better to do a Google or similar search for answers on tipping in various countries IMHO.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

Well I'm British but always tip the people handling our suite cases who work extremely hard.

We've probably all paid a great amount of money for the vacation and a couple of euros extra here and there showing people a little kindness isn't enough to ruin our cruise.

Tipping in the US is a custom, yet in Europe it is not. . There is no need to criticize someone from Europe for not tipping, it is their custom not do. Myself I will tip.

What happened to when in Rome, bet if a Brit says I’m not tipping in US as it’s it our custom they get flamed, but it Is fine for you to ignore the no tipping culture in another country

Posts like this remind me of when we first moved in Italy (we were there almost 4 years). Around the military bases restaurants were pretty used to Americans tipping and it became somewhat expected to tip a bit at a restaurant. But one time, when we were out exploring the countryside away from base we left a small tip on the table after we paid our bill. We made it just outside the door and one of the waiters chased us down to give us back the money we forgot.

Now, I have not done a cruise in Europe but it would not surprise me a bit if the porters have become used to receiving tips from the Americans. My best guess is they are probably okay with it either way.

I think the problem in this thread is that there’s an argument between Americans and Brits (of which I am neither) based on their own culture’s habits and perspectives, which are completely opposite and clear. However, when I was in Spain I couldn’t get a clear answer from locals: No tips. Yes, just round up, yes, ten percent. Everyone said something else and it was irritating. Same for Italy - while researching Italian website ms they say tipping isn’t customary, but sometimes it’s expected. So how am I supposed to know? As I said, locals haven’t provided me with a clear cut answer.

Europe does not have a no tipping culture! You do tip servers in restaurants but not that extensively as Americans do. Maybe 5-10% or just a few Euro. Same applies for e.g. room attendance in hotels and taxi drivers. You do not have to tip e.g. tour guides. The only countries where even the tips above are not common according to my knowledge are Scandinavian countries. Reason for that is that people are higher paid and prizes are very high anyway...

Bottom line is you can‘t go wrong with a small tip in Europe but don‘t overdue it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice?

His cultural tipping practices, which are probably a lot closer to the culture in Rome than Canadian or US practices, is no basis for snarky comments about his personality.

Well I'm British but always tip the people handling our suite cases who work extremely hard.

We've probably all paid a great amount of money for the vacation and a couple of euros extra here and there showing people a little kindness isn't enough to ruin our cruise.

Serious question, would it make a difference if you learned that the porter's were paid a wage of 80,000 pounds? I ask because that is the situation in the states. The porter's all are part of the longshoreman union and their average wage is over $100,000.

Posts like this remind me of when we first moved in Italy (we were there almost 4 years). Around the military bases restaurants were pretty used to Americans tipping and it became somewhat expected to tip a bit at a restaurant. But one time, when we were out exploring the countryside away from base we left a small tip on the table after we paid our bill. We made it just outside the door and one of the waiters chased us down to give us back the money we forgot.

Now, I have not done a cruise in Europe but it would not surprise me a bit if the porters have become used to receiving tips from the Americans. My best guess is they are probably okay with it either way.

Have you left the tip on the table? They might have returned it because in Europe you give a tip directly to the server when you pay. Finding money on the table is still irritating for servers in Europe, especially if the are honest people. However, restaurant servers at least in e.g. Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, Germany, Austria and Croatia expect a tip! Not an American 20% tip but a few Euros or something in the range of 5-10%. Porters in Hotels, if available, also expect something like a Euro or two. Taxi drivers expect a tip. Hair dressers expect a tip.