Is Embarkation deadline really 90 minutes out?

Having had departure held - announcing passengers were on their way from the airport - delays happen. I always wondered why the 90-minute delay was waived.

So, yes, your ship may wait for you. Then again, I would fly in the day before.

They cannot waive the 60 minutes. If they wait for late passengers, they have to delay the departure to 60 minutes after the final manifest is given to CBP.

PERIOD.

I ask because my cruise is scheduled to depart Miami at 4:00pm, and my flight into Ft. Lauderdale arrives at 12:25pm.

After picking up luggage and taking the shuttle, I estimate I'll get to port by 2:00pm. Close, I know, but there are no earlier flights that day.

No earlier flights? Or no earlier nonstop flights? What airline? Based on your profile I'm guessing you're flying from Nashville? Even if you are deadset on nonstop flights, I believe Southwest has an early morning nonstop from BNA-FLL that would get you there several hours earlier, as well as a nonstop on American to MIA that would likewise get you there much earlier in the morning. If you consider connecting flights, you have a few more options, including options that would still get you there earlier despite having to connect.

Really :confused:.....I believe you can just book transfers with the cruise line .... and not your air ... We did on one of our Alaska cruises because we needed the transfers due to traveling with a toddler and opted to not bring a carseat for airport to ship transportation.

While you may be able to book a cruise line transfer, they may not allow it given the scheduled flight time; even the cruise line knows that is pushing it. Just like booking flights through the cruise line; they will only allow certain departure/arrival times to be booked.

Just hoping to hear what *actually* happens in Miami if arriving "late."

You will be denied boarding when you show up after 2:30PM.

Biker, who thinks the OP is very optimistic in thinking he'll get to POM from FLL by 2PM with a 12:25 flight arrival.

Living in Wisconsin used to snow-related weather problems, but have had more cruise related weather delays in Fort Lauderdale and Miami because of thunderstorms/lightening including a diversion to Orlando.

This. It is not only Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but also Tampa and Orlando. And flights on one coast will have a domino effect as flights are cancelled, delayed or diverted to other Florida airports (or Atlanta) and the storm system moves across the state causing those diverted flights to be grounded as the storm system hits the airport where the diverted flight is sitting.

People are unaware of the number of times this happens due to weather in Florida. And summer is not the only time for this type of thing. It happens in summer as the sea breezes from both coast hit somewhere over the state. And in the winter it happens as the jet stream brings cold air down from the north to hit the warm air from the south over the state.

Right now, we have been having the "winter" pattern because the jet stream is unusually far south and we have been heavy thunderstorms throughout the days and nights.

Looking at your other posts it seems that your cruise in February. That would be way too close for comfort for me. Any little delay and you'll miss the ship. Even without the delays I think your timeline is very optimistic.

Living in Wisconsin used to snow-related weather problems, but have had more cruise related weather delays in Fort Lauderdale and Miami because of thunderstorms/lightening including a diversion to Orlando.

Agree, Michigan here. One time plane was just taxi to runway and we slid off getting stuck for 4hrs. When flying in Winter and taking connecting flights getting to Florida at 3pm I now always fly in 2 nites early. Any other time still one nite...

As my cruises always have 2+ sea days to start I'd never want play catch up

No earlier flights? Or no earlier nonstop flights? What airline? Based on your profile I'm guessing you're flying from Nashville? Even if you are deadset on nonstop flights, I believe Southwest has an early morning nonstop from BNA-FLL that would get you there several hours earlier, as well as a nonstop on American to MIA that would likewise get you there much earlier in the morning. If you consider connecting flights, you have a few more options, including options that would still get you there earlier despite having to connect.

While you may be able to book a cruise line transfer, they may not allow it given the scheduled flight time; even the cruise line knows that is pushing it. Just like booking flights through the cruise line; they will only allow certain departure/arrival times to be booked.

As a last resort the OP can call RCI and ask about booking the transfers giving them the flight arrival time...only they will know for sure the answer to this. Worth a try.

The 60 minute "law" for submission of the passenger manifest is a bit of an urban myth. Using APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System), the ship has to forward the passenger manifest to CBP at least 15 minutes prior to sailing. However, it does take time to compile and double check the manifest before submission, which is why the cruise lines use the 90 minute deadline. And, this is also why the deadline is held to, since they don't want to have to recheck everything again.

As the OP says, he previously joined a ship later than 90 minutes, but this was from a European port, which have their own set of rules about customs, immigration, and manifests.

Not having any dates, but why doesn't the OP fly right to Miami instead of FLL, they show non stop flights on AA arriving as early as 9:35 AM. another flight via ATL getting in around 12:15 with 1 stop.

Guessing $$, maybe time (if they get off work late or something)>

Air 2 Sea works better for INTL flight rather then domestic. You can buy transfers even though you may not have booked air with the cruise line. As previously mentioned by several, their best bet is to fly in the afternoon before.
However if you book Air 2 Sea domestic you get assured arrival "When your vacation comes around, you don't want to miss the ship because of flight delays or cancellations. Book airfare through us and we guarantee, should an issue arise, our Emergency Travel Team will work with our airline partners to get you to the first available port of call" This is a big help if you are flying in the same day. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=air_travel_programs

We booked the Royal transfer once when flying into Orlando to cruise out of Port Canaveral. We arrived in Orlando a few days before the cruise, just had to get ourselves back to the airport. We also had to fly in day of—once! We did book Air 2 Sea and it worked out well. I just didn’t breathe until we landed in FLL on time. We were sailing from there, too.

We even drive to Cape Liberty the day before; takes us about 5 hours. Hate to start our vacay under stress.

Hope OP comes back!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FLACRUISER99, that is good to know, speaking for myself, and living in So Calif there is no way I would try and come in the same day of a cruise unless I took a red eye. The earliest arrival time on AA with one connection through DFW is around 4 PM. I will fly AA mostly or United to the East.

First off, thank you all so much for the amazing number ofresponses!My specific cruise is Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas,leaving Sunday 12/9/18.

I consider myself a pretty experienced traveler (10+cruises, SouthWest A-list, fly once a month, 32 countries, 44 states, etc.) sotight schedules don’t stress me at all.

I’m trying to fly same-day because I have family event thenight before that I’m trying to attend.

Since my cruise docks at Key West the next day, I’maccepting the fact that I might have to catch the boat there if things gowrong.

I’ve been to Key West a dozen times, and I’m not much of afan of Miami, so missing part of those is no big deal.

One minor wrinkle I need to check on is, since my cruisestops at two ports in Cuba, I need to make sure embarking from Key West will beok.

I’ve been to Havana twice before so visiting Cienfuegos andSantiago de Cuba are the primary reasons I booked this cruise.

To answer a couple questions:

- Yes, I usually travel the day before (which I’m doing formy 2/17/19 NCL from San Juan!)

- If Royal doesn’t have a shuttle for me, I’ll use Uber/Lyft(not a group shuttle).

- The earliest arrival flight SouthWest offers on 12/9 is my9:15am-12:25pm flight. (changeable and refundable)

- Yes, BNA-MIA is an option on American that I could/shouldconsider (6:05am-9:25am)

- @chengkp75 – excellent answer, thank you

Since this is a closed loop cruise out of Miami, without a "distant" foreign port call, you would not be allowed to join the ship in Key West, as this would be a violation of the PVSA. You would have to join at the first foreign port.