Laundry - a few questions so I clearly understand

the mice

I searched this forum so I think I have a fairly good idea of the laundry situation but I am unsure of a few things, and this will impact our packing.

For reference, we're on an 11 night cruise on Journey in OV cabin. Saw photo showing laundry hours are 8am-9pm. We are both Discoverer.

On a 7 night cruise, Discoverer gets ONE free bag of laundry per stateroom. Do we get more for an 11 nighter?

Does Azamara offer any laundry specials (we've had discount offers on Celebrity)? If so, any idea at what point they might be offered on an 11 nighter?

If I decide to pay for more laundry, how much is a bag? (I read about the fold and roll techniques to fit more in the bag - thanks, Phil and UKtog). Recently I read someone say $40 - is that correct?

What is standard turnaround time? and how do you count the days - include the day you hand it in or not?

Thank you all!

If memory serves you should get two bags of laundry on an 11 night cruise.

We had a special offer but I really don’t remember how far into the cruise as we didn’t need it.

If you have your laundry bag ready fairly early in the morning it should be returned sometime the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I searched this forum so I think I have a fairly good idea of the laundry situation but I am unsure of a few things, and this will impact our packing.

For reference, we're on an 11 night cruise on Journey in OV cabin. Saw photo showing laundry hours are 8am-9pm. We are both Discoverer.

On a 7 night cruise, Discoverer gets ONE free bag of laundry per stateroom. Do we get more for an 11 nighter?

NOPE

Does Azamara offer any laundry specials (we've had discount offers on Celebrity)? If so, any idea at what point they might be offered on an 11 nighter?

$40 PER BAG IS OFFERED EVERY FEW DAYS DURING THE CRUISE

If I decide to pay for more laundry, how much is a bag? (I read about the fold and roll techniques to fit more in the bag - thanks, Phil and UKtog). Recently I read someone say $40 - is that correct?

$40 PER BAG IF YOU DO THE PERIODIC PROMO OFFER, OTHERWISE ALA CARTE PRICING PER ITEM

What is standard turnaround time? and how do you count the days - include the day you hand it in or not?

EVERY TIME I HAVE USED THE SERVICE IT HAS BEEN DELIVERED NEXT DAY AFTER HAND OFF TO THE STATEROOM ATTENDANT (I JUST LEAVE THE BAG ON THE BED AND THEY TAKE CARE OF IT WHEN THEY MAKE UP THE ROOM OR TURNDOWN THE BED). RETURN IS USUALLY AFTER 5 PM. SAME DAY SERVICE IS AVAILABLE AT PER ITEM RATES PLUS A % MARK UP, BUT NOT FOR THE $40 PER BAG PROMO

Thank you all!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

I think you will only get one free bag - I think it’s one bag per full week. They do often have a cheap offer - a couple of weeks ago it was $40 for a bag. From what I can recollect, it was offered about two thirds of the way through the cruise. Other than that offer, laundry is charged per item.

The laundry comes back the next day, but may be longer than 24 hours. If you put it out in a morning, you may not get it back until the next afternoon. It comes back ironed and on hangers.

Don’t forget there’s also the free laundry room on a Deck 7 - washing machines, dryers & irons & free detergent capsules provided.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If memory serves you should get two bags of laundry on an 11 night cruise.

We had a special offer but I really don’t remember how far into the cruise as we didn’t need it.

If you have your laundry bag ready fairly early in the morning it should be returned sometime the next day.

No, for an 11 night cruise it will be one bag.

As far as collection and delivery is concerned, LCV free laundry is available on the standard next day service. Leave the laundry bag with voucher inside and note in the comments "LCV free laundry" on the bed for when they make up the room. As Host Grandma says, it will come back the following afternoon, pressed and on hangers where necessary. Not available last night of cruise for obvious reasons.

They should offer an all you can stuff in a laundry bag for $40 too, but I haven’t used it. I can make do and if there is the odd shirt or trousers that need doing I’ll send them out separately. It’s not expensive and I won’t go near the laundry room.

Phil

I have used the laundry room and it's fine. People are pleasant and generally good about not leaving finished clothes in machines. The key is not planning on washing that one bright red shirt! A mixed load of like colours when you're running short is easy to do.

I have used the laundry room and it's fine. People are pleasant and generally good about not leaving finished clothes in machines.

Depends on the cruise! I only used to go in there to iron a shirt. I don’t bother now. Sometimes it’s tense and I’d rather not bother.

Phil

I have used the laundry room and it's fine. People are pleasant and generally good about not leaving finished clothes in machines. The key is not planning on washing that one bright red shirt! A mixed load of like colours when you're running short is easy to do.

Right. Another topic where a mountain is too often made of a molehill. If someone chooses not to do laundry on a cruise, that's his or her prerogative. But to make the self-serve laundry sound like some kind of horror is just unnecessary and unhelpful hyperbole.

Edited by marinaro44

Thanks. We have 2 sea days on day 2 and 4. I might scope out doing laundry but $40 for 2nd bag beyond our 1 freebie might just be worth it. We usually travel carry on bags only and after 30 years I'm well versed in doing small hand wash.

How many machines in the self serve laundry?

Depends on the cruise! I only used to go in there to iron a shirt. I don’t bother now. Sometimes it’s tense and I’d rather not bother.

Phil

It can be tense. People on a mission!!!

A Travelbuddy described her approach to the laundry facilities as Ninja- like. But she is a good natured Ninja!

And recently on Quest one of the washer/dryer sets was out of commission. So there was a little less efficiency from the service.

But if you can wander in when it is not busy you can have a good conversation or two and also receive any needed help/advice.

Moreover, since almost everyone carries a smartphone, it is easy to set an alarm as a reminder to return the room to complete your activities.

So less reason to impede the process for others and endure the “glare”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I seem to think there are 6 or 7 of each. Sea days are often crowded because everyone has the same thought. Throwing in a load right upon return from shore excursion works well for me. By the time I've showered it's time to move it over. They do indicate how much time the load takes so just plan to return a few minutes early.

Agree! Don't wait for a sea day! It can get very, very crowded on those days. Best time to wash is early morning on a port day. If you're in port then, just do it as soon as you get back or during dinner time to avoid the crowds. While most people are very pleasant while there, when it gets busy, it can get downright cut-throat for that last dryer.

Agree! Don't wait for a sea day! It can get very, very crowded on those days. Best time to wash is early morning on a port day. If you're in port then, just do it as soon as you get back or during dinner time to avoid the crowds. While most people are very pleasant while there, when it gets busy, it can get downright cut-throat for that last dryer.

How many washers and dryers are there?

I can usually wake up early on a sea day, just to get laundry out of the way, but could do it after getting back from port.

So it sounds like the dryers are the bottleneck - that one washer load may end up in multiple dryers, causing some kind of backup.

Can someone who really knows confirm number of machines?

We haven't been on Az since 2009, so don't remember, but back then did do wash as soon as we returned a bit early on a port day. That's not going to happen on this Baltic cruise. $40 for a bag is looking better and better.:D

How many washers and dryers are there?

I can usually wake up early on a sea day, just to get laundry out of the way, but could do it after getting back from port.

Saw a recent picture of sign on Journey with laundry hours - 8am-9pm so that is not going to work too well with our port days.

Would really like to know correct answer on number of machines.

Saw a recent picture of sign on Journey with laundry hours - 8am-9pm so that is not going to work too well with our port days.

Would really like to know correct answer on number of machines.

There are 6 of each, if my memory is correct.

However, as others have suggested, best to plan strategically and avoid the rush when all are in use. If the room is busy, we make other plans and avoid frustration. On our last B2B we avoided any congestion.

Certainly the dryers are on a longer cycle.

We dumped a load of laundry just after boarding on our last cruise. We had arrived a few days in advance of the departure and put our dirty laundry in our carry on. No one in the laundry room. And by the time the wash and dry was done, our room was ready.

A good time is just at the start of dinner service. Those needing to iron have gone and most have gone or are getting ready to go for dinner. We eat late, so this works for us.

There are times when it can be cut throat laundry. Other times everyone is pleasant. We've learned not to desperately need to do laundry and be able to return if the room is mayhem.

Thanks. We have 2 sea days on day 2 and 4. I might scope out doing laundry but $40 for 2nd bag beyond our 1 freebie might just be worth it. We usually travel carry on bags only and after 30 years I'm well versed in doing small hand wash.

How many machines in the self serve laundry?

Six Speed Queen commercial combo washers and dryers (on Journey)

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app