Recs for River Cruise in Provence

irvington

My in laws for their 60th anniversary have asked us to arrange a trip for us and them. Their ideal is a smaller ship in Provence leaving from Marseille for about 9 days. Any suggestions would be welcome. They are very interested in history and literature, if that’s relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My in laws for their 60th anniversary have asked us to arrange a trip for us and them. Their ideal is a smaller ship in Provence leaving from Marseille for about 9 days. Any suggestions would be welcome. They are very interested in history and literature, if that’s relevant.

Which cruise lines are you looking at?

That’s part of the question, I guess - not sure where to start looking! Some she’s mentioned are Tauck, AMA, Viking, ?

Well, that's a start. They all have websites that you should visit so that you can start comparing itineraries. Try using a travel website to see who else runs ships on the Rhone/Provence (sorry, I'm afraid to mentions names in case they are considered travel agencies).

Grand Circle - https://www.gct.com/trips/river-cruises/europe/cruising-burgundy-and-provence-to-the-cote-d-azur/2018/itineraries - has a trip Paris to Nice or reverse. You are on the ship from Beaune to Arles. It's a 45 pax ship, one of the smallest European river ships; cabins are about 220 sq. ft.

We did this cruise last year and loved it. Here is the link to my review. We actually boarded the ship in Macon. The small ship atmosphere was wonderful. For us it was fantastic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=574782

okay, thanks, this is really helpful. She's not much for online planning, but trying to discuss some itineraries with her we were looking at Avalon Waterways' Burgundy and Provence. Any thoughts?

I would suggest keeping AMA in the mix, as they offer an excellent range of shore excursions and have slow, normal, and fast-walker groups that allow each passenger to find their own comfort level. Their itineraries go from Arles to Lyon. At the Lyon end there is a day sail up the Saône to Belleville – some cruise lines start or end their itineraries on the Saône but this is risky because water levels can prevent it; IMHO it is much better to schedule boarding in Lyon and plan a day sail which can easily be replaced by a bus trip than to have to relocate the boarding process]. I would also suggest sailing from Lyon to Arles [downstream] rather than the other way that they are planning – the Rhône has a fierce current and the ships are much smoother when going with the current than fighting it.

• 2 weeks later...
Grand Circle - https://www.gct.com/trips/river-cruises/europe/cruising-burgundy-and-provence-to-the-cote-d-azur/2018/itineraries - has a trip Paris to Nice or reverse. You are on the ship from Beaune to Arles. It's a 45 pax ship, one of the smallest European river ships; cabins are about 220 sq. ft.

We're doing this one in October. Looking forward to our 5th river cruise with them. They always do a great job.............and for a lot less $$$$

okay, thanks, this is really helpful. She's not much for online planning, but trying to discuss some itineraries with her we were looking at Avalon Waterways' Burgundy and Provence. Any thoughts?

We did this with Avalon, and it was a great trip. It was nice to start the trip on land with a night in Monaco - and then travel to join to boat. At the end of the cruise, you travel to Paris via train (very well organized) and have 2 nights there to finish off the trip..

We actually went to France a few days early - and stayed in Nice. Very easy to get to Monaco from there. But, if they prefer not to do that, there is an optional trip to Nice from Monaco.

Fran