Early first impression of Insignia

Westyone

We are currently on day 2 ( this is Friday and we boarded Wednesday so maybe this is day 3). 🤪. These are our impressions as first timers on Oceania, previous suite cruisers on Celebrity. Comments are also from the perspective of the wife of a double amputee who uses a wheelchair or scooter to get around the ship.

This is my first review. I write in thanks to the many posters who offered me valuable info.

Boarding: we got to the Manhatten pier at about 11:15 due to a lot of traffic on a rainy day. Our documents said pier 88 and we were actually pier 90 so that posed a bit of an issue as our driver had to get out and inquire why the entrance to the pier was empty. He was allowed to back up although he was concerned about getting a ticket. There was no O marking on pier 90. A fellow passenger said that their docs had the correct pier number.

We thought by arriving around 11 as we were assigned we would avoid some crowds. WRONG! There was no one in the suite line but plenty of people in the stateroom line who are assigned a 1:00 boarding.

No one at check in offered to help me push the wheelchair either through the terminal nor up the short ramp to the ship. I was offered no help until after we actually got into the ship. This is in spite of Oceana Concierge asking through our TA the time we planned to arrive and knowing DH is using a wheelchair.

Waves was not open because of the rain. Terrace Buffet was already jammed and it was not possible for me to push DH wheelchair so he could see what was available. The congestion eased somewhat by 12:00.

Our suite was not ready until a 1:00 announcement.

Take-away: take Pinotlover’s advice and board mid-afternoon after lunch to avoid the people congestion! It was nowhere as crazy as a larger ship but there were some crowds and people with large suitcases.

The Ship: the ship is lovely and not as old fashioned ornamental as I thought it might be. Fellow passengers are friendly and well traveled. Food so far is terrific and perhaps even better than Celebrity Luminae.

Thanks for posting. Did you notice what time non-suite passengers were allowed on? Was it 1pm or earlier?

I'm surprised there was no sign at the entrance to the port saying where the ship was. Or did the driver not come up/down 12th Avenue but drive in from a cross-street?

There is only one entrance to the three Manhattan cruise ship terminal piers (at 55th Street)...from there you first pass pier 92, then 90, and last 88. You should have been able to see the ship as you drove along...and it was the only one there on the 25th. When you return on 4 August, the NCL Gem will be at pier 88, and since people from your ship have already parked atop pier 90, most likely you will return to pier 90...

Keep on posting. We are on the next cruise on Insignia and interested in your comments, recommendations. Rough or smooth sailing up the coast and to Bermuda?

Mary

We are also on the next cruise, and would be interested in your observations as well. At the moment the weather does not look promising after day 3 that week. We'll see you aboard, Mary.

Thanks for posting. Did you notice what time non-suite passengers were allowed on? Was it 1pm or earlier?

I'm surprised there was no sign at the entrance to the port saying where the ship was. Or did the driver not come up/down 12th Avenue but drive in from a cross-street?

Since we went to our suite at 1:00 we didnt hear the other announcements. Non-suite rooms were ready some time after 1:00 but not sure when. When we walked down the hall some room doors were open and some closed. I assume the open doors were rooms that needed more work to be ready. Lots of suitcases were already I got the hall.

There is only one entrance to the three Manhattan cruise ship terminal piers (at 55th Street)...from there you first pass pier 92, then 90, and last 88. You should have been able to see the ship as you drove along...and it was the only one there on the 25th. When you return on 4 August, the NCL Gem will be at pier 88, and since people from your ship have already parked atop pier 90, most likely you will return to pier 90...

That’s how we knew we were at the wrong pier: 1) no people, 2) the ship was behind us. This was our first time boarding in Manhatten. So much for trusting your paperwork. Look for the ship and the people and stop! I was looking for the O sign and pier 88 so zipped right past 90.

Keep on posting. We are on the next cruise on Insignia and interested in your comments, recommendations. Rough or smooth sailing up the coast and to Bermuda?

Mary

I will try to answer any questions you have. We are not doing excursions so I can’t help too much with the ports.

So far we ate twice in the Grand dining room and once in Pollo. I am not a big meat eater so had lobster twice and can’t remember what I had the first night. :o We sat with two other couples in Pollo the second night. The woman next to me had a huge veal chop which she said was delicious and she finished every bit. The others had steaks of some sort which they also said were good.

I had lunch in the ding room one day and had very good perch. Portion was small which was perfect for me, but I’m sure you can ask for more if you are a bigger eater. Each lunch buffet has a theme: seafood, Mexican so far. I feel that I have eaten so much so far that I need to slow down. Problem is everything looks so good I have to try it.

Take Away: the food will not disappoint!

Entertainment: a string quartet often plays in the main staircase area, pianist in a lounge. Very nice. The show last night was 45 minutes with a woman singer. Decent.

Take away: What others have reviewed is true. Entertainment is not as glitzy as on bigger ships, but it’s entertaining enough.

The staff is always friendly, smiling and helpful. DH says when he is out and about alone in the scooter someone always helps with opening doors for him.

The gym is one of the nicest I have seen on a ship. Decent size, good assortment of machines, lots of cardio equipment and free weights. Water, towels, and cleaning cloths available. I was easily able to do my regular routine which is good with all I am eating.

We wanted a relaxing cruise and so far are pleased.

I will try to answer any questions you have. We are not doing excursions so I can’t help too much with the ports.

So far we ate twice in the Grand dining room and once in Pollo. I am not a big meat eater so had lobster twice and can’t remember what I had the first night. :o We sat with two other couples in Pollo the second night. The woman next to me had a huge veal chop which she said was delicious and she finished every bit. The others had steaks of some sort which they also said were good.

I had lunch in the ding room one day and had very good perch. Portion was small which was perfect for me, but I’m sure you can ask for more if you are a bigger eater. Each lunch buffet has a theme: seafood, Mexican so far. I feel that I have eaten so much so far that I need to slow down. Problem is everything looks so good I have to try it.

Take Away: the food will not disappoint!

Entertainment: a string quartet often plays in the main staircase area, pianist in a lounge. Very nice. The show last night was 45 minutes with a woman singer. Decent.

Take away: What others have reviewed is true. Entertainment is not as glitzy as on bigger ships, but it’s entertaining enough.

The staff is always friendly, smiling and helpful. DH says when he is out and about alone in the scooter someone always helps with opening doors for him.

The gym is one of the nicest I have seen on a ship. Decent size, good assortment of machines, lots of cardio equipment and free weights. Water, towels, and cleaning cloths available. I was easily able to do my regular routine which is good with all I am eating.

We wanted a relaxing cruise and so far are pleased.

Nice, compact review, Westyone. Bodes well for our upcoming sailing on the 4th. Thank you.

This thread is tailor-made for my DW and me as well as our friends with whom we shall be traveling. We are also refugees from Celebrity and will be sailing O for the first time. Keep those reviews coming!

st5310 - we are refugees from Celebrity as well. Took our first Oceania last September 2017 on Marina - were so pleased. There were many first time Oceania guests on that cruise, we determined many were also Celebrity refugees. Next Oceania this October, Panama.

Like buying a vehicle, there are many cruise choices, it is up to the purchaser to know their needs, do the research and then (hopefully) purchase the right cruise. Celebrity used to be suitable, but with their many changes, they are no longer acceptable to us. So moved on and it worked.

Oceania is very different from Celebrity - as noted by the current thread on this board. In many ways they really are not comparable.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are currently on day 2 ( this is Friday and we boarded Wednesday so maybe this is day 3). ��. These are our impressions as first timers on Oceania, previous suite cruisers on Celebrity. Comments are also from the perspective of the wife of a double amputee who uses a wheelchair or scooter to get around the ship.

<SNIP>

The Ship: the ship is lovely and not as old fashioned ornamental as I thought it might be. Fellow passengers are friendly and well traveled. Food so far is terrific and perhaps even better than Celebrity Luminae.

Thanks for taking the time to post, Westyone. Nice on point review . Sounds like the start of a great trip, hope you enjoy it all.

Thank you for your wonderful posts and information. We will be first time "O" cruisers as well on the August 14th sailing. Very helpful information- keep the reviews coming! I am also nervous about the alleged rough seas in Bermuda.

Thank you for your wonderful posts and information. We will be first time "O" cruisers as well on the August 14th sailing. Very helpful information- keep the reviews coming! I am also nervous about the alleged rough seas in Bermuda.

Let me preface by noting when I say “rough” below it means I felt the sway but it’s only enough to remind me that I am on a ship and to walk a bit more carefully. I don’t think anyone is getting sick or using meds.

We are in Halifax today and will be enroute to Bermuda tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. We did have a bit of bumpy seas ..........forgive me as we are on a cruise an I find I am getting my days mixed. Bear in mind hat we are in an aft room so it is likely the second worst place for feeling the bounce. First is the front of the ship I would think. So, I think it was rough late after leaving NY, but the weather was a bit stormy in that area. Then leaving Newport, but a table mate who has a sailboat said water is always rough leaving a harbor. Also some roughness late last night. Most of the sway seemed to be in the middle of the night if at all so we don’t mind being rocked to sleep.

So far we’ve experienced nothing for anyone to be terribly concerned about. :D

We ate in Tuscan last night and so far we much prefer Polo and the Grand Dining Room. We are thinking of canceling our second Tuscan reservation. This could just be us not wanting Italian food right now. Again very subjective so don’t yell at me Tuscan lovers!

To the OP,

Thank you for checking in! Not that I am trying to rush your cruise to completion, but we'll be boarding when you return to NY. To say we're eagerly awaiting Saturday would be an understatement. :):)

Half the fun of anything is in the anticipation!

Indian food in the Buffet last night and I missed it. Greek theme this afternoon.

Good comedian entertainer this evening. He basically improvised the entire show. Very funny.

Half the fun of anything is in the anticipation!

That was how we felt about MSC earlier this year when we went on Seaside. The anticipation was better than the actual experience. I trust that Oceania will be much better.

Good comedian entertainer this evening. He basically improvised the entire show. Very funny.

That's good to hear. Any problems getting a seat at the shows?

“That's good to hear. Any problems getting a seat at the shows?“

Not unless you go at the very last minute. We were listening to the wonderful string quartet which plays in the atrium until 9:15. By 9:00 some couples began ambling through to the lounge. We left about 9:20 by the time DH found a clear path. We sit in the rear of the lounge where there is a ramp and there were several seats. Only a few seats were left by show time but there were some. The lounge is small so there are no bad seats.

Beware: if you arrive after the comedian begins the show you will be heckled! 😂.

Handicapped persons

A caveat for those who use a scooter because of need, not ease. DH has been an amputee for 11 years. He can walk only very short distances with the aid of a cane, like to the kitchen or br at home. He no longer does stairs. Newport and Bar Harbor are tender ports and we knew that so had no plans to get off the ship. We’ve toured Boston before and there is nothing to do at the pier so again stayed on ship.

Sooo, we looked forward to Halifax. Guess what? Only stairs and no ramp for the scooter. The crew very kindly offered to carry the scooter down while DH took the stairs slowly with difficulty. Crew is not allowed to help support I don’t think, so it was just me. I braced myself and walked behind just in case but I would have been a pancake if he fell on me. They also had him stand a rather long while going through security until I spoke up. Young people and the able bodied just don’t understand and likely neither did I when I was their age.

Just be forewarned if you are in a similar situation. Celebrity always had a ramp and two crew members to help.

Handicapped persons

A caveat for those who use a scooter because of need, not ease. DH has been an amputee for 11 years. He can walk only very short distances with the aid of a cane, like to the kitchen or br at home. He no longer does stairs. Newport and Bar Harbor are tender ports and we knew that so had no plans to get off the ship. We’ve toured Boston before and there is nothing to do at the pier so again stayed on ship.

Sooo, we looked forward to Halifax. Guess what? Only stairs and no ramp for the scooter. The crew very kindly offered to carry the scooter down while DH took the stairs slowly with difficulty. Crew is not allowed to help support I don’t think, so it was just me. I braced myself and walked behind just in case but I would have been a pancake if he fell on me. They also had him stand a rather long while going through security until I spoke up. Young people and the able bodied just don’t understand and likely neither did I when I was their age.

Just be forewarned if you are in a similar situation. Celebrity always had a ramp and two crew members to help.

I guess the most logical question here is why is the crew not allowed to assist? Did they give you a reason?

Heck, I've seen crew help a seated wheel-chaired passenger down the stairs. Little bumpy but everybody tries so hard to make it as easy as possible. (O may even have a wheelchair just for situations like your scootering sweetie)

Other times the passenger has been taken out of a lower deck--ask the Concierge if a port situation works for rolling out a lower deck.

ask your TA to help you with this and also talk to Concierge and Destination Services first thing--they might be able to help you.

Handicapped persons

Did they not have a ramp/exit on the lower deck for the crew & h/c passengers?

Usually the crew ramp is less incline & no stairs

i-7j4G2pD-L.jpg

We are on this same sailing, and arrived at the pier before 11:00. As non-suite passengers we were allowed to board at 11:40 as there were no more guests in line at that time. Our stateroom was not available until 3:00.

This is our 5th Oceania cruise. The food and service are outstanding as always. The dining room was open for lunch in Newport and Halifax. Internet speed is faster than on previous cruises.

We are on this same sailing, and arrived at the pier before 11:00. As non-suite passengers we were allowed to board at 11:40 as there were no more guests in line at that time. Our stateroom was not available until 3:00.

This is our 5th Oceania cruise. The food and service are outstanding as always. The dining room was open for lunch in Newport and Halifax. Internet speed is faster than on previous cruises.

That's great to hear about being able to board before noon. What do you think about the new menus? Did you take any pictures of them?

I guess the most logical question here is why is the crew not allowed to assist? Did they give you a reason?

I think it’s a liability thing. All cruises’ contracts that I have read say handicapped persons are welcomed as long as they have someone along to assist as the crew cannot.