Early first impression of Insignia

Westyone

Heck, I've seen crew help a seated wheel-chaired passenger down the stairs. Little bumpy but everybody tries so hard to make it as easy as possible. (O may even have a wheelchair just for situations like your scootering sweetie)

Other times the passenger has been taken out of a lower deck--ask the Concierge if a port situation works for rolling out a lower deck.

ask your TA to help you with this and also talk to Concierge and Destination Services first thing--they might be able to help you.

No one offered with a wheelchair assist although that could have worked. As I said they did offer to carry the scooter down if he would walk. It was the most strenuous acitivity DH has done in a long time. Obviously I was concerned.

I took my question to the front desk and asked about Bermuda. She said there will be a ramp from deck 3 there. She said because of the tide level they could not debarkation from 3 in Halifax as deck 3 was below the level of the pier. Don’t know why they had steps rather than a ramp on 4 but they may have had reasons. Celebrity always had a ramp and staff to help getting down in the scooter so I guess I thought it would be the same with O. The Concierge is going to contact me “after4:00”.

It is behind us now. I just wanted to give a heads up to others in our situation. If you have not lived with a double amputee you just aren’t aware of the difficulties you can encounter. Little things like a small step are no longer little things but a barrier.

Other than that the cruise is going well and we are pleased. This is our first sea day and it is easy going. Had delicious fish over polenta with grilled veggies at lunch in dining room. And pistachio ice Cream!

Not only a liability, but a workers issue also. Just like airlines staff are not required to lift and put your carryon in the overhead bins. If you can’t lift your carry on, it should be checked.

Do you think the ocean liners want to risk injury to their staff trying to get a near 400 pounder up the ramp? Likewise, in case of an emergency, and the elevators go out, it is the cruiser, and/ or their accompanying travelers, responsibility to get them down the stairs.

DH is 170 pounds......less without his prosthetics.😃

In occupational therapy they taught both me and DH best friend how to help him get about without hurting ourselves. It’s easy to hurt yourself if you are not careful no matter your size. It’s simply not the crews’ job nor responsibility. I don’t question that.

But I digress. This thread is about my impression of the cruise as a first timer on O, and not about handicapped passengers.

Not to go too far off the topic but my wife is in a wheelchair and can't walk down the ramp. She had 4 crew help her in any port she wanted to go up and down the stair ramp on our Insignia cruise. The concierge told us if there was any issue to let him know.

I don't recall it being mentioned on Oceania but on other cruise lines a staff person is assigned to help in an emergency. What Pinotlover says about being on your own in an emergency is ludicrous. When Corcordia sank off the cost of Italy there were wheelchair passengers on board - they were not told to just take care of yourself but all got help - none died.

The crew is always there to aid and assist the passengers within their own capacity, at all times. No argument there.

Insignia must have a special gangplank! Except for the ramp coming off level 3, Stair gangways aren’t really wide enough for two people, how did they get four at a time on there providing assistance?

re wheelchair on exit stairs/ramp - For 4 people to help 2 of them are standing side by side in front of the chair, each holding a leg of the chair with 1 arm and the railing with other arm, the other 2 helpers stand side by side behind the chair each holding a handle - the two in front are basically going backwards but holding onto the railing gives them support - it worked fine for us, not quick but effective.

Westyone, enjoying your comments very much. We will be first time O cruisers soon, on the Nautica - - which I believe is the same class of ship as the Insignia.

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

The crew always helps us with my smartscoot even if I say I don’t need help. Not just on oceania. They go out of their way to assist anyone with a mobility issue. On seabourn Antarctica they’ll get a wheelchair in a zodiac!!’

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH is 170 pounds......less without his prosthetics.😃

In occupational therapy they taught both me and DH best friend how to help him get about without hurting ourselves. It’s easy to hurt yourself if you are not careful no matter your size. It’s simply not the crews’ job nor responsibility. I don’t question that.

But I digress. This thread is about my impression of the cruise as a first timer on O, and not about handicapped passengers.

True, but since many people are confined to wheelchairs your experience with your DH is quite valuable for them. My DW and I do not have this issue, but I'm sure many are thankful for the information. These comments also make me more sensitive to the plight of the handicapped onboard ship. So, I appreciate your digression.

True, but since many people are confined to wheelchairs your experience with your DH is quite valuable for them. My DW and I do not have this issue, but I'm sure many are thankful for the information. These comments also make me more sensitive to the plight of the handicapped onboard ship. So, I appreciate your digression.

Thank you! 🙂

Likewise, in case of an emergency, and the elevators go out, it is the cruiser, and/ or their accompanying travelers, responsibility to get them down the stairs.

When we boarded and I asked a question about the muster drill, our butler suggested that I call reception to let them know my DH used a wheelchair. Just befor the drill sounded two crew members came with a wheelchair and took DH to the drill and stayed with us the entire time. They explained that they were assigned to DH in case of emergency. They left the folding wheelchair outside our room.

Final thoughts after the cruise

Overall, a nice cruise with some glitches. I will explain below.

As StanandJim said on another thread, “There is a whimsey about sailing on a 650 passenger ship, which account for four of Oceanias six vessels, and part of that charm is the lack the glitz and technology of the Gigantics”.

We liked that. We went expecting to enjoy the cruise with good food, good service, great fellow passengers, quietly elegant ambiance and that’s what we got ........for the first 3/4 of the cruise. Then, something happened in the dining room.

I’ll cut to the chase. Very subjective, but I thought the menues weren’t so great those last few days......maybe I just ate too much and wasn’t hungry. But the service deteriorated. Example: waiter took our dessert order. DH wanted coffee, I asked for cappuccino. We waited. Maybe 15 minutes. DH cup came. We waited. Dessert came. Waited. Finally called waiter who was serving coffee to nearby table who came and poured DH coffee. DH asked for the cream and was told assistant waiter would bring it. We waited. Ice creams melting, coffee getting cold. No cappuccino. We finally decided to go to bistro for our coffee. As we got up the waiter suddenly noticed us and was all over us but we left anyway.

Something like that should simply not happen. But it went on. Next day at lunch in grand dining room I asked sommelier for wine which never came and said sommelier was not in sight. Finally saw him near end of meal and he blamed it on the server on the other side of the room who was supposed to bring it!

I would likely have left this out on CC and let this thread die if it were not for the gentleman I encountered in the elevator those last days. We made the usual small talk and I asked how his cruise was going. He said “Eh. Oceania is my favorite line but something is off with the service this time.” Elevator doors open and out he goes.

End of post. :o

Thanks for your report

You should have spoken to the Maitre'd on your way out about the coffee fiasco

The staff are changing not so many Europeans as in the past

the service can be hit or miss lately

as to the menus I think sometimes near the end of the cruise it is like " OH no we have to eat again " ;)

I find I am slowing down in the last few days of the cruise & will order lighter options of course that is just me

Glad you enjoyed most of the cruise

LHT28. “You should have spoken to the Maitre'd on your way out about the coffee fiasco

The staff are changing not so many Europeans as in the past”

Yes, I did speak with the Maitre’d on the way out because I believe the supervising staff should be aware. He wanted my room number but I do not think it mattered who I was or what level room I was staying in. The service did not reflect well on the line. He apologized, called me by name and said he would let the director of the dining room (forget the exact title) know. That director did phone the next day but I had a hard time understanding him. I do believe the situation got the waiter in trouble because he avoided eye contact with me. The maitre’d and waiters were very ingratiating after that, almost overly so. But as I said, the service even afterward was just off. I’m sorry for the waiter but either he needs more training or the dining room needs more waiters.

I also noted it in the survey without mentioning names.

On positive side, our butler was good although we only used him to bring breakfast. The ladies who took care of our room were also good.

I don’t think I recall any European staff. A lot of men from India, men and women from Bali, Kazakhstan, and Pilipinos, among others.

I want to stress, the service was off only in the dining room toward the end of the cruise that I noticed. That should not have happened. Other than that, the cruise was lovely

well if they do not know there is a problem they cannot fix it so good that you mentioned it to someone

Yes it should not happen but unfortunately it does

I agree some waitstaff need to be trained in the Oceania way of doing things

Enjoy your next cruise with whoever you choose

I would consider O again if it were with DH or a friend. If I cruised with Daughter, son in law and granddaughters, I would not. They need more action! I was surprised to see so many young children and young teens on this cruise. All were very well behaved! One boy I spoke with said he enjoyed the cruise. I asked if he wasn’t bored, he smiled and said yes, a little. My 13 year old granddaughter did a 7 day NE RC Cruise the same week with her best friend and family. She had done several suite experiences on Celebrity with us and her family. She liked the RC Cruise because there was more to do and in her words, wasn’t hoity toity! :D