inside versus room with window

We have done inside, window and balcony. In all fairness we did the balcony first, then the ocean view (window) and last the inside on a 2 day cruise, just to see how we would deal with it.

This being your first cruise, I wouldn't spend 750 bucks for a window.

You know it's really a personal choice, same with a balcony. Some folks will not cruise without having a balcony and others don't care.

The advantage of a window is mainly so that you know daytime from nighttime and so that you can get some additional light in the room. The other advantage is so that you can look outside from your cabin if that is important to you.

So, you just have to weigh if this matters to you vs. what you want to spend on the trip.

As they say, regardless of where you stay you will still get to see the same entertainment, eat the same food, etc. as everyone else.

Good luck with this. Cruising has been a wonderful experience for us so I always encourage those who have never cruised to give it a try. Most will cruise again after the first time.

Keith

Being a tiny bit claustrophobic, I must have a window of some sort. I've cruised in an inside cabin only once, and never again. I had no idea how closed in I would feel.:o I have had OV cabins, but I now book cabins with portholes. These are located far forward on the ship, and I like them very much. I am able to 'see the sea' at anytime, and I enjoy having my first cuppa coffee and last glass of wine sitting on the little shelf, looking out at the ocean. Ahhhh.

I have had OV cabins, but I now book cabins with portholes. These are located far forward on the ship, and I like them very much. I am able to 'see the sea' at anytime, and I enjoy having my first cuppa coffee and last glass of wine sitting on the little shelf, looking out at the ocean. Ahhhh.

We had one of these rooms on the Inspiration. I am just a stitch above 5 feet tall, so I fit in this little window "seat" perfectly! I too enjoyed the morning coffee and the obligitory nightcap there. We never noticed any more rockiness being that far forward (cabin E7) than anywhere else when we were onboard, and we did have some time with good sized swells.

This time we are going to try a balcony, got a great deal on one on the Lido deck, I am afraid we will be spoiled beyond repair on this cruise! ;)

Here is some ideas to see if you would like the inside or window. Close the curtains in your bedrrom real tight to block out the light. Have a cup of coffee there. If you start to feel like the walls are moving in at all get the window. Since this is your first cruise you will not be in the romm that much so the $750.00 will pay for most of your excursions.

For a 2 day cruise I wouldn't worry about a window. You will be out of your cabin most of the time anyway, and I can't imagine spending an extra $750 just to have a window. You will probably mainly use your cabin to shower and sleep. The rest of the time you will be out and about on the ship, up on deck, or at the pool. There is so much to do and see onboard.

On the othe hand, on a cruise of 7 days or more, I would definitely say to spend the extra for at least a window (or a porthole), if not a balcony. With the longer cruise, you may enjoy a little sanctuary for some quiet time.

Personally, I would go with the inside room. With the lights off, the total darkness is extremely conducive to a good night's sleep. I've never felt the difference in price is worth it for a window. However, a balcony is a different matter.

We have booked insides for each of our cruises. We were lucky when, after final payment, the prices started dropping for upper categories. One time we went to an outside for the SAME price we had paid for our inside, and last time we were able to upgrade to a balcony for only $200 total!

The other times we stayed in the inside cabins and were perfectly happy.

As many have said above, $750 seems like too much of a premium for a window--unless you are truly claustrophobic. Usually the cost for a window over an inside is in the $50-$100 pp range.

One hint for insides: Turn the TV to the ship cam channel and turn the sound down. Sorta 'like a window' and you know when you wake up if it is morning or night.

We have to go with a window cabin at the very least - we did any inside and barely made it to our tours. I think we only had breakfast once. We are the type of people who need a little daylight to wake us up so we leave the curtains open just a crack so that some daylight enters the room. When we had an inside, we'd wake up to the alarrm and the gently rocking of the ship and the complete darkness of the room lulled us right back to sleep.

We have to go with a window cabin at the very least - we did any inside and barely made it to our tours. I think we only had breakfast once. We are the type of people who need a little daylight to wake us up so we leave the curtains open just a crack so that some daylight enters the room. When we had an inside, we'd wake up to the alarrm and the gently rocking of the ship and the complete darkness of the room lulled us right back to sleep.

If you are in an inside cabin Leave your television on to the bridge camera section that way the sun comes up in your cabin just like having a window.

I have not done a window, but have cruised with people who have. DH and I agree that it’s not worth the money to us. We have always done insides, but will have our first balcony on our next. It’s our anniversary cruise, and we agreed that the money was worth it for a balcony. For me, a window that doesn’t open would be worse than no window at all. True, it’s nice to see sunlight, but what I really want is to be able to be outside, and maybe have some fresh air in the cabin. We cruise in winter, and I have a decent chance of being able to see sunlight out a window at home at that time, where I have no change at all of being able to enjoy 80º air on my skin at that time of year. Besides, there are advantages to inside cabins-most notably the ability to nap at any time of the day. Our schedules are all thrown off when we’re on vacation, and we often end up sleeping for a couple of hours in the afternoon so we can stay up till the wee hours that night.

I might get a window for $100, but for $750, I’d rather save a little harder and go for the balcony. JMO, though.

Im with you on the little bit of daylight to wake by. I without any light wake about every hour to look at a clock to see if its time to getup. Had to plave a night light in the room so I wouldnt break a toe in the dark when needing the little sideroom. I

I dont think that much money is worth the outside room unless you have a real reason to need it... you can use it on tours and other things while on vacation.

$750 more is way past my breaking point when it comes to deciding whether to book an inside cabin or an outside one. I'm willing to pay $50 pp more for a window and $100 pp more for a balcony.

When we had our first balcony cabin, my DH said he could never cruise with anything less. So I booked an inside cabin for our next cruise and we still had a great time. On that cruise, the inside cabins were $800 less ($400 pp) for the two of us, which more than paid for our shore excursions and onboard expenses.

I personally would look at a different cruise if the price difference is that great. On all our cruises, the price difference between and inside and oceanview (not a verandah) was well under $100 per person, usually under $50 per person.

Archived