Plastic Straws, Which RCL Ships Have Done Away With

How many whales have been hit by a ship and caught on the bulb of a ship?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah that really bothers me. I have heard of that a few times. What does that have to do with plastic in the ocean? One doesn't make the other right.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah that really bothers me. I have heard of that a few times. What does that have to do with plastic in the ocean? One doesn't make the other right.

No, but it demonstrates that there are trade-offs. Should we cancel all shipping to save the whales?

Are turtles more important than whales?

Every action we take has environmental consequences. Should we walk around concerned we will step on an ant?

No, but it demonstrates that there are trade-offs. Should we cancel all shipping to save the whales?

Are turtles more important than whales?

Every action we take has environmental consequences. Should we walk around concerned we will step on an ant?

Well you shouldn't be stepping on ants. I don't know where that came from. All I'm getting at is every little bit helps. Not the attitude that who care, F sea life. We can't cancel all shipping commercial or pleasure. But what we can do is all do our part in making sure or trying to keep the oceans clean. There is nothing wrong with trying.

You had mentioned the whale with plastic bags. I was just saying cruise lines kill whales in other ways.

What does plastic bags have to do with straws?

You had mentioned the whale with plastic bags. I was just saying cruise lines kill whales in other ways.

I'll try you exactly. Hitting a whale is an accident, no one meant to hit the whale, no wanted to. When bags go into the water, or straws it does nothing but hurt sea life. If the cruise line could 100% of the time avoid hitting a whale they would. Bags, straws will kill sea life.

I'll try you exactly. Hitting a whale is an accident, no one meant to hit the whale, no wanted to. When bags go into the water, or straws it does nothing but hurt sea life. If the cruise line could 100% of the time avoid hitting a whale they would. Bags, straws will kill sea life.

I dr onto recall the details. But if the ship was not allowed in waters where whales are known to be, they wouldn't hit them.

I dr onto recall the details. But if the ship was not allowed in waters where whales are known to be, they wouldn't hit them.

I'm sure that was the case. The cruise line snuck into waters it wasn't supposed and killed whale. I'm sure that happens every day.

The old "it is someone else doing most of it, so why should we bother" argument!

No, that is not what I said and you know it. It's the everyone else banning it that won't make any difference argument. See it for what it is. 90% is the vast majority. Most all pollution and environmental issues aren't caused by the West. It's countries like China, India, etc that produce the vast majority of pollution and garbage. Use a little common sense. Banning straws in countries where we don't fix the "issue" even a little bit.

I'm sure that was the case. The cruise line snuck into waters it wasn't supposed and killed whale. I'm sure that happens every day.

Great assumption

The reason they're being banned is people are saying the oceans are absolutely overflowing with plastic and straws. So while the companies on land are banning plastic straws and using paper straws they are serving those drinks in plastic cups, go figure, once again bureaucracy running amuck.

Yeah, we ban the plastic straw but not the plastic cup, lid, milk bottle, coke bottle, plastic crate, rings that hold the soda bottles, the list goes on and on and on.

Dumbest thing to worry about of all time.

For every plastic straw in the ocean there are 1000000 times more of everything else. Thank you for saving the planet at the .00001% level. Great job people.

Plus where do you think that pile of plastic garbage in the Pacific Ocean came from? I was in Vietnam last year, and on any given street there were piles of trash around every home building, and I don’t think the Vietnamese are any dirtier that many other cultures.

I wander the vastness of my estate and their is zero plastic littler in my yard. How do we explain this?:evilsmile::halo::'):eek:

JC<—— always avoids the conventional wisdom of the sucker scam each and every time.

The whole anti-straw movement is completely idiotic. If every single straw produced ended up in the oceans it'd amount to something like 0.03% (not 3%, but 0.03%) of the waste plastic in the oceans.

And most certainly not every single straw ends up there.

And that 500 million/day number in the US alone everyone quotes like it is some scientific study or actual real data from somewhere? A 9-year-old made it up through a "telephone survey of straw manufacturers."

This is just some stupid feel-good campaign being pushed by idiots, participated in by idiots, that will accomplish little to nothing in the end except waste everyone's time and energy, making them believe they're actually doing something to help a real problem.

And plastic straws are completely recyclable. The problem is that few have invested in the sorting equipment that can deal with smaller items like straws, and instead focus more on bigger items like laundry detergent containers. There's nothing about the plastic used in straws preventing their recycling, and likely just having pre-sorted them out of recycling bins as a category of their own would accomplish much more. And I've seen what goes on in RCL's recycling rooms. It could readily be done.

Getting rid of plastic straws is nothing more than a PR stunt.

First person from NJ that ever made sense! :evilsmile::halo: Joking.

JC

Yeah, we ban the plastic straw but not the plastic cup, lid, milk bottle, coke bottle, plastic crate, rings that hold the soda bottles, the list goes on and on and on.

Dumbest thing to worry about of all time.

For every plastic straw in the ocean there are 1000000 times more of everything else. Thank you for saving the planet at the .00001% level. Great job people.

Plus where do you think that pile of plastic garbage in the Pacific Ocean came from? I was in Vietnam last year, and on any given street there were piles of trash around every home building, and I don’t think the Vietnamese are any dirtier that many other cultures.

I wander the vastness of my estate and their is zero plastic littler in my yard. How do we explain this?:evilsmile::halo::'):eek:

JC<—— always avoids the conventional wisdom of the sucker scam each and every time.

I do see a plastic shed, a plastic sign, plastic chairs, and get this, plastic trash cans.

c0bafc9ed28121070d3dab82c01233b2.jpg

I do see a plastic shed, a plastic sign, plastic chairs, and get this, plastic trash cans.

I like the view from your vast estate more than mine. On the upside remember to bring those things in before the next hurricane. I would hate to think you and your neighbors killed the whale. Back in the 70s and 80 I loved progressive rock music including Yes. They had a song on a really bad album about saving the whale. I really quit listening to their new stuff around that time.

JC

Hey, John, you think that is bad, when I take the ferry to Manhattan I see more prophylactic floating around than straws. Maybe they should ban the rubber kind and replace them with paper/cardboard. Oh, that is not comfortable. Devil made me do it.

Many places have gone to cardboard type milk boxes for water. No more plastic water bottles. But they continue to sell booze in plastic cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the view from your vast estate more than mine. On the upside remember to bring those things in before the next hurricane. I would hate to think you and your neighbors killed the whale. Back in the 70s and 80 I loved progressive rock music including Yes. They had a song on a really bad album about saving the whale. I really quit listening to their new stuff around that time.

JC

Hey JC

I loved YES. Even that crappy album.

Many places have gone to cardboard type milk boxes for water. No more plastic water bottles. But they continue to sell booze in plastic cups.

I've never seen that. Can you elaborate

I've never seen that. Can you elaborate

It's the same type containers you get in those juice boxes. I've not seen spring or regular drinking water in them, but my son drinks some vita coco pure coconut water in one of those boxes. Gotta cost a lot of money for that millennial water. :rolleyes:

You can pay around $3 for 33oz of water in a box -- no plastic, or you can buy a case of spring water for around $3.00 with plastic.

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1918118-boxed-water-is-better-purified-drinking-water-33-8-fl-oz?site=google_base&LanguageCode=EN&locale=en-US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&scid=scplp168984&sc_intid=168984&utmp_campaign=SC_Shopping_Campaign_CS18&branded=no&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuT7jL7F3AIVh1YNCh2vjwD-EAQYASABEgLi1vD_BwE

It's the same type containers you get in those juice boxes. I've not seen spring or regular drinking water in them, but my son drinks some vita coco pure coconut water in one of those boxes. Gotta cost a lot of money for that millennial water. :rolleyes:

You can pay around $3 for 33oz of water in a box -- no plastic, or you can buy a case of spring water for around $3.00 with plastic.

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1918118-boxed-water-is-better-purified-drinking-water-33-8-fl-oz?site=google_base&LanguageCode=EN&locale=en-US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&scid=scplp168984&sc_intid=168984&utmp_campaign=SC_Shopping_Campaign_CS18&branded=no&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuT7jL7F3AIVh1YNCh2vjwD-EAQYASABEgLi1vD_BwE

Ok, but don't you need a pointy straw

Not if it's opened like the old fashioned milk carton.
I guess, I dont drink coconut water.

Doesn't seem like an on the go solution.

I'd worry about putting half open box back in my backpack.

Anyway, its gotta be a low percentage of water sold.

I guess, I dont drink coconut water.

Doesn't seem like an on the go solution.

I'd worry about putting half open box back in my backpack.

Anyway, its gotta be a low percentage of water sold.

I don't drink that boxed stuff either. I like to drink bottled water from plastic bottles, then when I'm finished, I like to toss it overboard in the ocean to feed the whales. :rolleyes:

I don't drink that boxed stuff either. I like to drink bottled water from plastic bottles, then when I'm finished, I like to toss it overboard in the ocean to feed the whales. :rolleyes:
I've been refilling the same Evian bottle at home for almost a year now