Mobile Phone on Board

Question: If I have access to the ship's Wi-Fi, towers and I first put my mobile phone on "airplane mode", then turn Wi-Fi ON, then turn Wi-Fi (only) calling ON ------- then I can talk and text on the phone (without extra charges) as if at home?

If you have as you say the WIFI package I would suggest face time or something similar if you need to talk, depending on your provider there may be a charge for phone and text. Do you have a roaming package?

I have used WiFi calling on ships in the past. You need to turn on WiFi calling before you get on the ship. You have to answer some questions for your cellular network. At least that is the way it was for me. We have Verizon. When you get on the ship, connect to ships WiFi and put phone in Airplane mode. You have to have a late model phone that allows WiFi calling. I have an iPhone 6s.

I have used WiFi calling on ships in the past. You need to turn on WiFi calling before you get on the ship. You have to answer some questions for your cellular network. At least that is the way it was for me. We have Verizon. When you get on the ship, connect to ships WiFi and put phone in Airplane mode. You have to have a late model phone that allows WiFi calling. I have an iPhone 6s.

We also have Verizon and once connected to the ships WiFi, on airplane mode and using WiFi calling, I'm thinking there shouldn't be any additional Verizon charge for calls or texting.

Question: If I have access to the ship's Wi-Fi, towers and I first put my mobile phone on "airplane mode", then turn Wi-Fi ON, then turn Wi-Fi (only) calling ON ------- then I can talk and text on the phone (without extra charges) as if at home?

Yes. If you have wifi calling activated (it's easy and free), and you buy the ships wifi plan (or are in a GS or higher and have free wifi for all), do as you say, turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi, your phone will bias to "wifi calling." You can check this where your phone shows what carrier you are hooked up to. It should say something like "VZW wifi" for Verizon for example. Now you can call and text anywhere as if you are sitting at home. We used it to text each other on the ship (each of us had a plan since we were in a Crown Loft). You can call any U.S. number no matter where the phone is in the world will be free (for you). Also in port you can do the same anytime you are hooked up to a wifi. So if you go to a cafe, they usually have free wifi, you can connect and make phone calls.

Yes. If you have wifi calling activated (it's easy and free), and you buy the ships wifi plan (or are in a GS or higher and have free wifi for all), do as you say, turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi, your phone will bias to "wifi calling." You can check this where your phone shows what carrier you are hooked up to. It should say something like "VZW wifi" for Verizon for example. Now you can call and text anywhere as if you are sitting at home. We used it to text each other on the ship (each of us had a plan since we were in a Crown Loft). You can call any U.S. number no matter where the phone is in the world will be free (for you). Also in port you can do the same anytime you are hooked up to a wifi. So if you go to a cafe, they usually have free wifi, you can connect and make phone calls.

Let me add that wifi calling is something that must be activated before you cruise. You won’t be able to turn it on from the cruise ship if not previously activated. It must be activated while still connected to your carrier.

Great answer; clear and concise, thnx

Let me add that wifi calling is something that must be activated before you cruise. You won’t be able to turn it on from the cruise ship if not previously activated. It must be activated while still connected to your carrier.

????

It may depend on your carrier or your phone. If the OP has AT&T and it's on the phone there is no 'activation' required, you just turn it on or off. But if it's not on your phone now, chances are it not available with your software.

In one respect, it's a good idea to make sure it works before you leave.

????

It may depend on your carrier or your phone. If the OP has AT&T and it's on the phone there is no 'activation' required, you just turn it on or off. But if it's not on your phone now, chances are it not available with your software.

In one respect, it's a good idea to make sure it works before you leave.

You still have to turn it on the first time while connected to your carrier.

If you wait until you have wifi only, it will not work.

We also have Verizon and once connected to the ships WiFi, on airplane mode and using WiFi calling, I'm thinking there shouldn't be any additional Verizon charge for calls or texting.

I have Verizon, and have done exactly what you are describing with no difficulty. :)