Italy & Greece mid October clothing, etc. Suggestions Please!

nini

Please share your wisdom and experience!

I would really like to know what clothing and shoes you packed

for this itinerary. We would like to pack on the lighter side.

What did you pack that you were so glad you did and what was a waste?

We will be on a Celebrity ship (no self serve laundry) and will be doing

lots of shore excursions. We are 2 women and a man in our mid 60's.

TIA

I went on an eastern med cruise in April (flip side of yours). I mailed my swimsuit and coverup home from Athens and spent a great amount of port time looking for a sweatshirt of some sort. Found one on Day 4. My one slightly warm thing was wet from a port day in the rain. Ever try to blow dry a pair of jeans? Pack some warm clothes too. You can mail those home if you don't need them.

We did a 7-day out of Venice in mid October 2017. Daytime Venice was pleasantly warm, but the evenings were cool, so long pants and a light jacket were useful. As we made our way down towards Athens, the weather was sunny and warm. People on the ship were tanning and swimming, we swam in the sea at Argostoli, and basically wore summer clothing the entire time. A light sweater in the evening on deck was plenty. Athens was hot! I don't think you need super warm clothing, but a lightweight jacket and a light sweater would probably be fine. Running shoes for walking and several t-shirts for daytime touring should do you. I have always washed out undies and light shirts in the sink. They dry fine. I would avoid bringing jeans and opt for lightweight, quick dry pants instead.

I've taken 5 Med cruises in October, so I have more than a single data point...!

The Med is a large area -- so it's not just one weather zone. In October it can be cooler and rainier in the more northerly areas (such as Venice, Marseille, Istanbul) but still sunny and warm in the more southern ports such as Sicily, Cadiz and the Greek isles. In general I'd say it's cooler in the north and westerly areas; warmer in the south and east.

I have generally had very good weather in October, with the occasional rainy day. I don't remember being cold, but it can be cool enough in the mornings or evenings for a light sweater, fleece or jacket. It can be windy at sea.

I'd probably pack a mix of lighter weight pants and maybe a few capris or ankle pants. Layers for the top -- t-shirts, light jumper, etc. I will also toss in my silk underwear layers (top and bottom) in case of unexpectedly cold weather -- although I've yet to actually use them.

We have done 4 or more Octobers in Greece and Italy (including Sicily). Weather has always been very nice. Occasional shower. Warm in the day, sometimes a little cooler at night. We think that Oct and April May are the best times to go.

Just keep in mind that Jeans are very popular throughout Europe. One could spend weeks traveling around Europe with jeans and decent sandals. In October you should also carry some simple rain gear.

Hank

I really appreciate all of your responses! It really does help.

I am at my Aunt's right now and we are "pre-planning" and setting

out some clothes on the bed to get her thinking about mixing and matching.

She has worked at a popular women's clothing store for the past ten years, so,

believe me; she has LOTS to choose from. Unfortunately, she wears a size smaller than

me. :(