Unplugging electronics

Medtech2

I have been on two NCL cruises so far and on both they also mentioned not leaving things plugged in during the muster drill. But I don't know how new that is, as my first cruise was in February of this year. Also, I think the fact that you need to insert a keycard to power the outlets on the newer ships is a sign they don't want things left powered/charging in the room when no one is "home".

1) Nothing was mentioned about this at our Bliss muster on 6/30

2) In the Haven the Butler put a blank card into the card slot when we first entered the room and told us to leave it there so outlets would function when we were out of cabin

3) Nothing was ever unplugged I almost always had one of out 2 iPads charging during the day

On our last cruise on the Breakaway this past April, neither our butler nor our steward unplugged anything. We almost always had something plugged in and charging, such as one (or both) iPhone's plugged in, my Apple watch, a spare e-cig battery, a Bluetooth speaker, and our spare external back-up battery. To be honest, I don't recall ever hearing any announcement at muster (or anywhere else) or see any posted notice about not keeping anything plugged in when not in the suite. Should also mention, we didn't have to put anything into the off/on light switch slot to keep the outlets powered up; there was already a card in there that was clearly marked, explaining it's function.

We were in the Bliss Haven. Steward never unplugged our electronics. I spend hours on sea days reading on my iPad and I burn thru the battery so always charging one of the two I have.

I am kinda surprised that you, as a lawyer, would assume the liability of disregard the the big, bold notice on the front page of the Bliss freestyle daily saying "Fire prevention is always a priority on board, therefore we kindly ask our guest to unplug all electronic devices before leaving their stateroom".

I am kinda surprised that you, as a lawyer, would assume the liability of disregard the the big, bold notice on the front page of the Bliss freestyle daily saying "Fire prevention is always a priority on board, therefore we kindly ask our guest to unplug all electronic devices before leaving their stateroom".

Perhaps Maya1234 doesn't read the dailies? I know that I generally don't because they have become primarily advertisements for opportunities to part with my money. All I do is tear out the schedule of events and even that I'm doing less because the aps tend to have the schedule of events.

You should actually never leave electronics charging if you are not around. And of course also not when you are sleeping. Since it is a known fire hazard on land (just ask "Mr. Google"), it is also a fire hazard on a ship...

Perhaps Maya1234 doesn't read the dailies? I know that I generally don't because they have become primarily advertisements for opportunities to part with my money. All I do is tear out the schedule of events and even that I'm doing less because the aps tend to have the schedule of events.

Wait, so that is now a valid excuse? :confused:

image1439165.jpg

Sure...I guess there was some sort of safety warning published, but I didn't READ it. Come on, man...everyone knows those things are advertisements for an opportunity to take my money. Whats the harm??

I don't think I ever looked much at a Daily. My days were made up of Haven meals, sundeck and thermal spa, unless DH told me somewhere specific to go. DH grabbed them and would pour over the schedule but probably never even glanced at the first page. And given that our Butler specifically told us to leave the card in so that our electronics would charge while we were away, he likely didn't pay much attention if he did see that.

Wait, so that is now a valid excuse? :confused:

Sure...I guess there was some sort of safety warning published, but I didn't READ it. Come on, man...everyone knows those things are advertisements for an opportunity to take my money. Whats the harm??

SeaShark - if you are going to post crap like that, implying baseless accusations, try to follow along with what's been written. I know it's tough because it means you need to actually read and comprehend people's posts, but, you really should try to keep up with the discussion. Let me help you out here:

• In post #53, BIrdTravels commented on Maya1234, the lawyer, disregarding "the big, bold notice on the front page of the Bliss freestyle daily" and the risk of liability associated with such disregard.
  • In post #54, I commented that perhaps Maya1234 didn't read the freestyle daily". Note that I didn't say or imply, nor would any reasonable person infer that I was saying it was OK to leave electronics plugged in.
  • Your post, quoted above, clearly implies that I was saying ignorance was an excuse for burning up a cruise ship. A completely baseless implication.

And this isn't the first time you've struggled to follow the conversation.

In post 30, PelicanBill asked those "who leave their electronics behind" to stop preaching to those who need them. PelicanBill never said he left his electronics charging in his room, only that he needs his electronics and doesn't need people preaching to him that he shouldn't need his electronics.

You then comes along in Post 31 and attempts to catch PelicanBill in a trap of some sort by implying he left his electronics alone in the room charging so he mustn't really need them. I point out your error in Post 32 and in Post 34 you make this strange claim that because the whole thread is about leaving electronics charging, PelicanBill was therefore by default leaving his electronics charging - Ignoring completely the first sentence of PelicanBill's post 30.

So SeaShark, if you aren't able to keep up with the conversations then please keep you your provocative photo, your attempt to put words in my mouth, and your false accusations against others and keep them all to yourself.

As I said I didn’t read the Daily's and there was no mention of the issue at the muster where safety issues like smoking was discussed. . Whether that’s an exuse or not doesn’t matter though. Given that NCLs legal agent ( the Butler) was the one who suggested we keep the card in the slot in order to charge devices while we were out there would be no legal assumption of any liability by me.

SeaShark - if you are going to post crap like that, implying baseless accusations, try to follow along with what's been written. I know it's tough because it means you need to actually read and comprehend people's posts, but, you really should try to keep up with the discussion. Let me help you out here:

• In post #53, BIrdTravels commented on Maya1234, the lawyer, disregarding "the big, bold notice on the front page of the Bliss freestyle daily" and the risk of liability associated with such disregard.
  • In post #54, I commented that perhaps Maya1234 didn't read the freestyle daily". Note that I didn't say or imply, nor would any reasonable person infer that I was saying it was OK to leave electronics plugged in.
  • Your post, quoted above, clearly implies that I was saying ignorance was an excuse for burning up a cruise ship. A completely baseless implication.

And this isn't the first time you've struggled to follow the conversation.

In post 30, PelicanBill asked those "who leave their electronics behind" to stop preaching to those who need them. PelicanBill never said he left his electronics charging in his room, only that he needs his electronics and doesn't need people preaching to him that he shouldn't need his electronics.

You then comes along in Post 31 and attempts to catch PelicanBill in a trap of some sort by implying he left his electronics alone in the room charging so he mustn't really need them. I point out your error in Post 32 and in Post 34 you make this strange claim that because the whole thread is about leaving electronics charging, PelicanBill was therefore by default leaving his electronics charging - Ignoring completely the first sentence of PelicanBill's post 30.

So SeaShark, if you aren't able to keep up with the conversations then please keep you your provocative photo, your attempt to put words in my mouth, and your false accusations against others and keep them all to yourself.

Maybe you should re-read...you're missing the conversation.

You actually said "Perhaps Maya1234 doesn't read the dailies? I know that I generally don't because they have become primarily advertisements for opportunities to part with my money" trying to suggest that if she didn't read the dailies that this was OK because, heck, you "generally don't" either because....reasons and all. :rolleyes:

An insane argument which I was happy to point out. Sorry, that you don't appreciate it.

As to your other point, I completely understood the irrelevance of what Pelican Bill said. The whole "you shouldn't have an opinion if your need for electronics differs" argument aside...Bill was pointing out just how much he needed his electronics...even listing all of the things that he used them for. I simply pointed out that if he was using his electronics as much as he claimed, then it was obvious that he had them with him and not left behind in the room while he wasn't there....and since the whole point of the thread is leaving electronics behind while out of the room...

I wasn't implying that he left anything behind, I simply pointed out that with the amount of use that he couldn't be leaving them behind, thus his experience wasn't what the thread was about. You tried to say different, you were wrong, and now you has hurt feelz...

Get over yourself.

The first time my room steward touches my electronics is the last time he/she is allowed into my room.

Another brave troll. Have fun on another line as NCL stewards are unplugging electronic devices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe you should re-read...you're missing the conversation.
I'm not missing it at all - I laid it out for you, it's a shame you can't comprehend.

trying to suggest that if she didn't read the dailies that this was OK because, heck, you "generally don't"
That inference was 100% on you. I wasn't implying anything was or wasn't OK, I was commenting on why she might not have considered the liability. Again, comprehension. :rolleyes:

An insane argument which I was happy to point out.
Insane because your apparent insane mind made it up.

As to your other point, I completely understood the irrelevance of what Pelican Bill said. The whole "you shouldn't have an opinion if your need for electronics differs" argument aside...
Bingo - there it is. So long as you are going to push aside someone's main point, you have no hope of ever comprehending and following a conversation. Thank goodness for the ignore list.

You tried to say different, you were wrong, and now you has hurt feelz...
Hurt feelings over the drivel that you spew? Please, do you really think anyone cares about the crap you write to feel hurt? You need to get over yourself.

I honestly have a bit more empathy for people who simply didn't know better than I do for these posters coming on here stating they have every intention of continuing to put the lives of thousands of people at risk so they can have their precious e-cigs or iPads charged and that they will take issue if any room steward dares to touch their devices.