Is HAL done with Traditional look?

Nymich

That's Joe Farcus, Carnival's former lead designer. As you may recall, the Zuiderdam was supposed to be year round Caribbean and targeted at a younger demographic.

From the photos I've seen since the drydocks and refurbs, it's a much more sedate now.

I liked the Waterford seahorse in the Atrium. Is it still there?

Year-round Caribbean? Wow, as a FL resident I sure wish they had stuck with the plan. I’d surely have taken some PTO and escaped with HAL in the wet months.

Would have been nice for HAL to have at least one ship in the Caribbean for those that want to cruise then...too hot in summer but perfect the earlier part of the year when I want to get away from winter weather.

Because of hurricanes,though,I get why they don't.

Would have been nice for HAL to have at least one ship in the Caribbean for those that want to cruise then...too hot in summer but perfect the earlier part of the year when I want to get away from winter weather.

Because of hurricanes,though,I get why they don't.

I had to double check your address. Always confused as Montrealer's don't usually say eh.

In any case, Caribbean cruises are available for we Canadians from Fall to right around Spring. There's no winter weather rarely after Spring ;)

Edited by kazu

Contemporary/modern style has nothing to do with rock climbing walls and water slides. I certainly don't see those features in "contemporary" designed ships like the Celebrity S class or on Viking....

People are conflating two different things: contemporary design and active features.

Personally, I am a fan of good contemporary design on ships. Design evolves also, and what folks are calling "Traditional" design today is really more of a 1980s take on traditional -- it certainly wasn't the decor on ocean liners of earlier ages, many of which featured Art Deco/Art Nouveau interiors.

Unfortunately, some lines can't seem to do "contemporary" well. I think Princess failed on Regal and Royal Princess, but Celebrity succeeded with their newer ships. That was one reason behind my earlier question on this thread regarding whether Koningsdam's design was more like one or the other...

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

As I indicated in a previous post, I think you'd be a fan of the K'dam's contemporary design, even if the MDR is a tad glitzy for my tastes. As for Celebrity, I agree wholeheartedly that they've done an excellent job to date. The Edge looks like it will carry on this trend, although the Magic Carpet possibly straddles the line between innovation and gimmickry.

I agree with you both. I love HAL's itineraries, but Celebrity is the leader in modern ship design, with one big epic fail -- it lacks a teak wood 360º wrap around promenade deck. I think Cunard would be a nice alternative for the those that long for old school HAL. As for the Edge, I like the trend, but will wait for the hype and pricing to come back to earth.

In the meantime, MSC Yacht Club, WC on the Queen Victoria, and a TA on the QM2.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

[quote name=cruisemom42;56683663

Design evolves also' date=' and what folks are calling "Traditional" design today is really more of a 1980s take on traditional -- it certainly wasn't the decor on ocean liners of earlier ages, many of which featured Art Deco/Art Nouveau interiors.

.[/quote]

I think what many mean when referring to “Traditional” ship design is not so much interior decor, but the overall appearance of the ship. That concept of “Traditional” ship design predates the 1980’s by many decades.

Cunard and HAL ships, with dark hull and white superstructure (which does not overwhelm the hull), and full teak promenade decks, with wooden deck chairs, are reminiscent of the Hamburg Amerika, North German Lloyd, White Star, and even HAL ships of the first decades of the last century.

I agree with you both. I love HAL's itineraries, but Celebrity is the leader in modern ship design, with one big epic fail -- it lacks a teak wood 360º wrap around promenade deck. I think Cunard would be a nice alternative for the those that long for old school HAL. As for the Edge, I like the trend, but will wait for the hype and pricing to come back to earth.

Enjoy!

Cunard does not provide the same degree of unique itineraries HAL offers. It is not a viable alternative, even though it protects many older onboard sea travel traditions.

Enjoy!

The Queens are fine - unless you don't like formal. On my 8 night EB crossing - 4 of the 8 nights were formal - and there is a printed dress code. Anything [but dinner in the buffet] done after 6 pm had to be in formal attire. So, much more formal than HAL. That is fine by me for their cruise line and I respect their wishes. I would do another crossing if at a convenient time - but I would be extremely unhappy on a full cruise.

Cunard does not provide the same degree of unique itineraries HAL offers. It is not a viable alternative, even though it protects many older onboard sea travel traditions.

OS I agree, however I think it's more of a function that HAL has 15 ships and Cunard has three. The Queens have some great itineraries, but with a reduced number of ships, it does limit their coverage.

We used to like the smaller ships of Holland but after having A/C problems on the two different cruises on the Maasdam, we are done with the older models.

We do have a Eurodam cruise coming up this December!

Enjoy!

The Queens are fine - unless you don't like formal. On my 8 night EB crossing - 4 of the 8 nights were formal - and there is a printed dress code. Anything [but dinner in the buffet] done after 6 pm had to be in formal attire. So, much more formal than HAL. That is fine by me for their cruise line and I respect their wishes. I would do another crossing if at a convenient time - but I would be extremely unhappy on a full cruise.

Hi Carole,

I thought many old time HAL people lament the loss of formal evenings through out the ship? The first time we cruised Cunard I told my wife that I thought it looked like Holland America on steroids.

We have 87 days coming up on the Queen Victoria + the QM2 and I'm sure there will be 25 formal evenings. Since we know what we are getting into, we will embrace the atmosphere and make it fun. This will probably be the last chance to experience this type of cruising, as Cunard, with it's Carnival owners, are starting to water down the formal aspect. I'm sure Cunard will go the way of HAL, Celebrity, Princess...., and dumb down the dress code to anything goes.

I'm okay with that, but it will be great to give it one last go before the end.;)

Enjoy!

Kel

Responding to POA1's question about the Waterford atrium sculpture on the Zuiderdam: it's been some time since I sailed on Zuiderdam, so I don't know if it is still there. My guess is that it still is.

I have wondered why the designers went from the nice Atrium sculptures on the Vista Class ships to the most odd (and in my opinion, ugly) sculpture on the Eurodam.

Responding to POA1's question about the Waterford atrium sculpture on the Zuiderdam: it's been some time since I sailed on Zuiderdam, so I don't know if it is still there. My guess is that it still is.

I have wondered why the designers went from the nice Atrium sculptures on the Vista Class ships to the most odd (and in my opinion, ugly) sculpture on the Eurodam.

I'll let you know what the situation is at the end of December.

Thank you. Do not expect any prompt reply from me. I have a cruise on Royal Princess followed by two cruises on Nieuw Statendam booked. It will be late January when I access my e-mail account, I expect.

:D“Holland America on steroids”...gotta love it!

I think some QM2 crossings are designated as less formal than the standard crossing. Maybe someone can confirm. Anyway, the formal dress was not the most memorable aspect for me - it was actually the afternoon activities, specifically the games in which four-person teams were formed to compete at fun, sort-of silly “sports” over the week.

(Excuse me for drifting off topic.)

I didn't see the original question, but if it had to do with the presence of the spinning crystal seahorse in the atrium, it's still there as of a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't see the original question, but if it had to do with the presence of the spinning crystal seahorse in the atrium, it's still there as of a couple of weeks ago.
Excellent! Thanks