Question about Tipping + Cruise Staff Board Question

So I have two questions, and I hope it is okay to have them in the same thread!

I just got off the NCL Bliss on a trip to Alaska last week. On the ship, the assistant Maitre d', Abhay, was incredibly kind, helpful and accommodating. He went way above and beyond our expectations and everyone in my party made sure to write him a glowing review on the "Who is your vacation hero?" card.

Once I got home, I was reading an article about gratuities and tipping on board and came across something that said it is expected to tip people who are particularly helpful to you, such as a bartender, etc. I did not know this while I was on the ship. I pre-paid my gratuities before the trip and tipped my cabin steward $20 on the last day, but I didn't know you even could tip other crew members. I am now feeling really guilty about not tipping the Assistant Maitre d'. Was it wrong of me to only write him a review? Or would he get part of the pre-paid gratuities somehow? If not, is there a way to remedy this and send him a tip well after getting off the ship? I feel really bad for not thinking about this before. :loudcry:

My second question: A few years ago when I took a cruise on the NCL Pearl, they had a board with all the cruise director staff's photos and names. Unfortunately, I did not see such a board on the Bliss. There was only one for officers. Is there a reason that the cruise staff's names and photos are no longer shared? Or did I just miss it somehow?

Thanks so much to everyone!

Question 1. There's no need to feel guilty about not tipping extra. He does have a share of the pre paid gratuities. And your glowing recommendations are very valuable, too, because they are seen by his superiors and can have a positive influence on future contracts and even promotions.

But it is never expected to tip crew members above and beyond the basic gratuities. That is entirely at your discretion .

...but I didn't know you even could tip other crew members...

You can tip whomever you wish. We have tipped in cash the ice cream girl in the buffet (she was so sweet, every night smiling at us - my husband had to have his ice cream every night!), and one of the omelette makers one time. He was fabulous and knew my husband's order as soon as he saw us in line.

Of course, a tip and a glowing review would be a great way to say you have appreciated someone's effort. For future reference, you can always get a blank envelope or two at the Guest Relations desk and then write a note with your cash tip and give it to your intended crew member. It will make his or her day. :) BUT - it is not required or even expected, so not to worry.

You can tip whomever you wish. We have tipped in cash the ice cream girl in the buffet (she was so sweet, every night smiling at us - my husband had to have his ice cream every night!), and one of the omelette makers one time. He was fabulous and knew my husband's order as soon as he saw us in line.

Of course, a tip and a glowing review would be a great way to say you have appreciated someone's effort. For future reference, you can always get a blank envelope or two at the Guest Relations desk and then write a note with your cash tip and give it to your intended crew member. It will make his or her day. :) BUT - it is not required or even expected, so not to worry.

Thanks for the helpful insights! This is good to know, and I will definitely keep it in mind for my next cruise, as I would love to help out those who go the extra mile.

Here I have been on 4 cruises, and yet I am still quite a newbie, it seems. :p

Once I got home, I was reading an article about gratuities and tipping on board and came across something that said it is expected to tip people who are particularly helpful to you, such as a bartender, etc. I did not know this while I was on the ship. I pre-paid my gratuities before the trip and tipped my cabin steward $20 on the last day, but I didn't know you even could tip other crew members. I am now feeling really guilty about not tipping the Assistant Maitre d'. Was it wrong of me to only write him a review? Or would he get part of the pre-paid gratuities somehow? If not, is there a way to remedy this and send him a tip well after getting off the ship? I feel really bad for not thinking about this before. :loudcry:

Thanks so much to everyone!

You paid your gratuities so all is well in serviceland. You do not need to worry or feel guilty.

I wouldn't have tipped my steward extra on top of the computer tips at all tbh.

An article like that is a rather greedy attempt at US service industry leading figures to convince people they need to pay even more of their hard earned cash when owners should be shelling out. Maitre D's (in my experience) are paid a good wage as it is; they don't need tips anyway.

You are fine...promise. :)

You can tip the maitre 'd and his asst. if you wish, and feel that they have given exemplary service to you. However, they are salaried and do not depend on tips to make ends meet, so don't feel guilty if you don't. I have been on cruises where the maitre'd never came by our table, and others where they cruised by nightly. I have sometimes felt that when they stop by often, they are making their presence known so we know who to tip...EM

The gratuities they charge you cover everyone who is supposed to be tipped. There is no need to tip every single person you interact with! The Maitre'd is not a "service" employee...and they aren't expecting tips for doing their job!