Daily Service charges

GMomKassie

what exactky are the Daily Service charges? I thought when I booked she said it's tips? Are they one and the same?

In theory, yes. They, in theory, also go to the behind the scenes employees that otherwise would not get tips. Nobody is really sure how it actually works. Most guests also do tip a bit more to individual employees as they wish to do so. So, you can feel free to either tip extra or not. Strictly your choice. No additional tips expected or required.

Yes. In the past when cruising you had 1 set of wait staff for the trip plus your room steward. It was expected that you tip all of them and were provided envelopes on the last night to do this. Now in cruising with the freestyle and any time dining, pretty much all of them charge a daily gratuity or service charge to accomplish the same goal. Norwegian does it slightly differently in that it’s not a dollar amount that goes to your wait staff but goes into a fund that benefits the whole crew. But you can pay your service charge and know that no additional tips are expected by room or wait staff. Bar drinks and spa services will incur and additional auto gratuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My next cruise with NCL is a 14 night with over $800 in gratuity I am paying between the daily gratuity, beverage package gratuity and dining gratuity. No I will not pay any extra. Maybe I am cheap but how many others pay that much tips to a land based vacation for 14 nights?

My next cruise with NCL is a 14 night with over $800 in gratuity I am paying between the daily gratuity, beverage package gratuity and dining gratuity. No I will not pay any extra. Maybe I am cheap but how many others pay that much tips to a land based vacation for 14 nights?

How much I tip on a land based vacation is in no way based on how many nights I am on vacation. It is fully based on what I do on my vacation that is something I would choose to tip for. So to answer your question on a 14-day vacation I could easily tip anywhere from $0 to 20% (maybe even more) of my entire vacation spend.

what exactky are the Daily Service charges? I thought when I booked she said it's tips? Are they one and the same?

Yes, the daily service charges take the place of tips. NCL doesn't call them tips any longer even though on some lines they are called tips or gratuities. Many cruise lines have some form of this daily service charge but call it by different names.

Where NCL says they don't have tipping: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/tipping

Where NCL explains the daily service charge: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/service-charge

Pretty much the answer is yes.

As for have said, you can add a bit here and here but it should not be expected. We do, normally add a buck per drink,(not always) and if the service is good we give the cabin steward a little extra at the end of the cruise, but again, this is not required. We also tip the wait person in the specialty dining room a bit if the service is above and beyond.