Mariner Society Credit for traveling solo

ChinaShrek

I've been cruising more with Princess lately, mainly to get the double cruise credits, and because their loyalty levels are based on either cruise days or total cruises, and since I live between Seattle and Vancouver, I'm nearing their top Elite level just from doing 5 short coastal cruises, and a few to Mexico and Alaska. Their top level also includes more impressive benefits, like a free minibar setup and wine tasting, whereas HAL's seems to involve mostly discounts to get me to spend more. So instead of complaining, I vote with my loyalty. The same goes with the HAL website, that doesn't allow me to search for cruises by number of passengers, whereas NCL and Princess make that an easy task, and it's completely useless for the Konigsdam to have single rooms if I can't search prices for them.

Funny, you should mention the Koningsdam. I am also having trouble finding the single cabins on the Koningsdam. They never show up in a search on the HAL website. Maybe they sell out on the first day?

Funny, you should mention the Koningsdam. I am also having trouble finding the single cabins on the Koningsdam. They never show up in a search on the HAL website. Maybe they sell out on the first day?
They do seem to sell out early. Try looking for one a couple of years from now and see if you have the same problem.

edit: I see singles available on 1/2/2020

Edited by catl331

Did you remember to change the number of people to 1 from the default 2? ;p Did you remember to look on the Main deck forward, which the only place they are? They do seem to sell out early though. Try looking for one a couple of years from now and see if you have the same problem.

How do I change the default to 1 person on the Home Page? How do I select all Koningsdam cruises but for 1 person?

How do I change the default to 1 person on the Home Page? How do I select all Koningsdam cruises but for 1 person?
Sorry, when I said that I was thinking of the way it was on the old HAL website, and you came back before I had a chance to test it and correct my post. :o

On the new website, you just set a Filter for K-dam, choose the cruise, and on the page for room type you first pick Oceanview and then Single below that:

2iqavk.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post...I hope Holland America reads this. I have graduated from my days of a loyal NCL fan. I am looking for a more relaxed (no 24hr party) line to fall in love with. I have chose to try Ponant for a 77 day sailing and was going to book a 43 day on Holland after that. That is, till they told me I would not receive any extra recognition for paying 200%. Ponant will recognize your status as soon as you confirm your booking. I will be an Admiral (4th tier) status when I walk on the ship. That is a way to treat a customer that is about to drop a huge amount on money.  I have decided that if Holland will not accommodate a solo passenger on a small detail like this, I would not consider them for years of my up coming cruises. Sorry to find this out, my sister and brother-n-law have sailed Holland many times and loves them.

I sailed HAL a great many times as a couple .  I now sail solo and do not expect double mariner days  though I pay 200% for my Neptune Suite.  That is the way the 'world goes

round.

I have  so many Mariner days I would sell them if I could.   At   the point I am, more Mariner  days have no value but for the enjoyment of sailing  all those cruises.

Funny this thread popped up today. Just got a response from my feedback email to HAL, where I said I don't mind paying double as a solo as long as I'm getting double cruise credit like on Princess and Celebrity. I asked whether HAL had considered making Mariner Society more rewarding for solo travelers. 

The response I got was laughable, as if someone didn't even read my email. "Our staterooms are designed to accommodate at least two guests. Therefore, when a single guest reserves a stateroom for his or her self, a supplemental fee is charged in order to make up for the lost revenue of the second party."

Nice work, Holland America. This is exactly why after many cruises with HAL, I've jumped ship to Celebrity and Princess. Neither are as polished or service-oriented as Holland America, but at least my loyalty is valued.

Clearly, the Mariner program is one of the slowest to accrue benefits, and that's especially true for solos.  I now have 397 actual nights and what do I REALLY have--397 MEMORIES, that the reward for my loyalty that counts far more than free internet, a discount at the gift shop or even free laundry.  Let's keep in mind what really counts.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Clearly, the Mariner program is one of the slowest to accrue benefits, and that's especially true for solos.  I now have 397 actual nights and what do I REALLY have--397 MEMORIES, that the reward for my loyalty that counts far more than free internet, a discount at the gift shop or even free laundry.  Let's keep in mind what really counts.

Roy

Totally agree with this post Roy.  No matter which ship I was sailing on, the memories of that trip are far more valuable than anything I bought or received from the cruise line on the trip.  Neil

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sailingskyward said:

Funny this thread popped up today. Just got a response from my feedback email to HAL, where I said I don't mind paying double as a solo as long as I'm getting double cruise credit like on Princess and Celebrity. I asked whether HAL had considered making Mariner Society more rewarding for solo travelers. 

The response I got was laughable, as if someone didn't even read my email. "Our staterooms are designed to accommodate at least two guests. Therefore, when a single guest reserves a stateroom for his or her self, a supplemental fee is charged in order to make up for the lost revenue of the second party."

Nice work, Holland America. This is exactly why after many cruises with HAL, I've jumped ship to Celebrity and Princess. Neither are as polished or service-oriented as Holland America, but at least my loyalty is valued.

I asked them the exact same question many years ago and received a boilerplate or scripted response sort of like yours -- except my response also included an explanation of the Mariner loyalty-star program.  Made me so angry that I waited a few years, then asked the question again.  Except this time I added to my message that I already understood the Mariner loyalty program and the reason for the single supplement and wanted the answer to address the issue of double credits for the solos paying double, as many other lines do.  Took a while to receive a response -- and I apparently discarded it because I can't find it now to copy here -- but they essentially said, "We're thinking about it".  Again, that was years ago.

16 hours ago, sailingskyward said:

Nice work, Holland America. This is exactly why after many cruises with HAL, I've jumped ship to Celebrity and Princess. Neither are as polished or service-oriented as Ho

lland America, but at least my loyalty is valued.

If some one sent that  message  to me, I would have   been  tempted  to write back.  How about all the food the second pereson is not eating?  The laundry and d  ry leaning, included in Neptune Suite fare that HAL does not have to do?  The towels etc he is not using?   The Mariner party they are  not attending?

Going  by   "your way of thinking", a    credit  should be issued to the solo cruising alone but paying for two    Yes??

image.png.8e2f6a390c6b7808e1932260c4b5d894.png

Edited by sail7seas

4 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

sail7seas, what I was saying to HAL is that I am totally fine paying for two berths, but other lines give solo travelers double cruise credits in their loyalty programs when you travel as a solo. To be crystal clear, paying double isn't the problem. The real issue is paying for 2 and only getting the cruise credits for 1. Other lines, namely Celebrity and Princess, offer double cruise credits for solo travelers. 

4 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

If some one sent that  message  to me, I would have   been  to write back.  How about all the food the second pereson is not esting?  The laundry an ry leaning, inlcuded in Neptune Suite fare that HAL does not have to do?  The towels etc he is not using?   The Mariner party they are  not attending?

Going  by   "your way of thinking", a    credit  should be issued to the solo cruising alone but paying for two    Yes??

image.png.8e2f6a390c6b7808e1932260c4b5d894.png

5 hours ago, sailingskyward said:

Yes, I know what you said.  My post is  what I might say if  someone   sent  me  the   res  ponse  you received.    It was  MY  reaction to your post  .

image.png.d55e0c8dedf19010c72d0e6452c5a7e3.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, ChinaShrek said:

ANY  cabin can be 'made into a single cabin.  Book it as a solo  and  i t is a single.  I sailed solo two cruises in Nptune cabin in May.  Because I was a 'solo' that Neptune cabin while I occupied it  was a single.   I booked a cruise for 2020 an again I have turned a Neptune cabin into a single.

As  to the designated singles on Koningsdam. 

They are in limited number, undesireable location IMO and NO bargain.  I think the price too high for what they are.

image.png.9aebded5f92274527edb8f3076461a9d.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 months later...

Has anyone  here  yet  booked and sailed in one of Koningsdam's  designated solo  cabins?   If    so do you think  it worth the price Hal charges for them    considering  location etc?   

image.png.2da0ae983589b59e4587d9af72b394b0.png

sail.Noordam@gmail.com

6 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Has anyone  here  yet  booked and sailed in one of Koningsdam's  designated solo  cabins?   If    so do you think  it worth the price Hal charges for them    considering  location etc?   

image.png.2da0ae983589b59e4587d9af72b394b0.png

sail.Noordam@gmail.com

A couple of years ago, I booked an inside cabin and was "upgraded" to a solo cabin in the worst location; my cabin was tiny and second from the bow. The size didn't bother me as I spend very little time in the cabin. The ship noise was so loud that I heard it even with ear plugs in.  Someone told me that the banging was the waves hitting the ship. During the day, I also heard what sounded like metal doors slamming. I would have preferred to stay in the inside cabin.

Also, after sailing 20 years with HAL, for the first time I had room stewards which were not up to par.  On embarkation I found that the carpet was not vacuumed and had crumbs and sand on it.  I asked the room steward to vacuum it again as I enjoyed walking barefoot. After the third day, it finally looked like a vacuum cleaner was used. Even though solos pay anywhere between 170 and 200% percent for the cruise, I would imagine that the room stewards only get one hotel service fee.  Because of this, I always make sure to give each one at least $5 per day extra at the end of the day so that they receive what they would have gotten if there were 2 passengers.

I don't understand why solo travellers do not get the extra mariner points on HAL and yet Princess does. Aren't they the same company?

Royal Math as a solo (double point in a balcony) NB Vancouver to Seward 7 night, they have their 50% off second guest and 60% off second guest which you get as a solo. I got about another $250 off when they had their 60% off sale. I cancelled this the other day and booked Maasdam 14 night in a Lanai with $600 OBC and a few frills.

image.png.7ec2b1260995491a342038e7657f9817.png

Noordam NB as single, no "discounts, Lanai. I cancelled this and did Maasdam 14 night. The same journey is within a few hundred dollars.

image.png.ee9e7a557b6c85ed341f18fb6594f3dd.png

The double points would be nice but I am not drinking twice as much, eating specialty dinners twice as much, taking twice as many excursions or paying twice the tips so I see the point, its just different than most the industry. Getting some OBC would be nice.

If I buy $600 in shore excursions BEFORE I go does that get counted as "onboard spend" for the extra points?

Thanks

Alan

19 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Royal Math as a solo (double point in a balcony) NB Vancouver to Seward 7 night, they have their 50% off second guest and 60% off second guest which you get as a solo. I got about another $250 off when they had their 60% off sale. I cancelled this the other day and booked Maasdam 14 night in a Lanai with $600 OBC and a few frills.

image.png.7ec2b1260995491a342038e7657f9817.png

Noordam NB as single, no "discounts, Lanai. I cancelled this and did Maasdam 14 night. The same journey is within a few hundred dollars.

image.png.ee9e7a557b6c85ed341f18fb6594f3dd.png

The double points would be nice but I am not drinking twice as much, eating specialty dinners twice as much, taking twice as many excursions or paying twice the tips so I see the point, its just different than most the industry. Getting some OBC would be nice.

If I buy $600 in shore excursions BEFORE I go does that get counted as "onboard spend" for the extra points?

Thanks

Alan

Yes, shore excursions and other purchases made in advance count toward the spending "bonus."

I get the cabin single supplement albeit I don’t like it! However, the single supplement that’s charged for utilization of the Thermal Suite Pass seems like a total discrimination against a solo traveler. Why would the per couple pass be so much less per person than what a single person pays? Can’t figure out any logic here.... 

3 hours ago, KarefreeKaren said:

I get the cabin single supplement albeit I don’t like it! However, the single supplement that’s charged for utilization of the Thermal Suite Pass seems like a total discrimination against a solo traveler. Why would the per couple pass be so much less per person than what a single person pays? Can’t figure out any logic here.... 

There is no justification for that, and I hate it!  I emailed HAL to complain, saying that it's discrimination, and their only answer was that the spa company sets the prices, not them.